Sig p6

This is a discussion on Sig p6 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are your thoughts...? I have a deal in the works to pick up a P6, MFG date is 1982. I'd say the gun is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig p6

Sig p6

What are your thoughts...? I have a deal in the works to pick up a P6, MFG date is 1982. I'd say the gun is about 80-85%. I will be installing a replacement parts kit... Springs pins and so on. Then as much as I'd like to have it nickel plated, I think I'll opt for a professional Ceracoat job.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't change the finish at all.

But they are excellent pistols. Not quite the capacity I want in a 9mm. But they feel good in the hand and are quite accurate. I have one made in 1979 in W. Germany, its one of my favorite pistols.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    They are excellent pistols. Some of the earlier ones don't feed hollowpoints very well. Mags are a little pricey as well. I love to shoot mine, it points naturally and has almost no felt recoil.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Senior Moderator
    I like them so well that I have two. Excellent handgun.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    They are excellent pistols. Some of the earlier ones don't feed hollowpoints very well. Mags are a little pricey as well. I love to shoot mine, it points naturally and has almost no felt recoil.
    It's my understanding that a barrel from a newer 225 has an improved feed ramp that is more accomodating to various 9mm rounds, including hollow points and is a direct replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

But they are excellent pistols. Not quite the capacity I want in a 9mm. But they feel good in the hand and are quite accurate. I have one made in 1979 in W. Germany, its one of my favorite pistols.
    I'm not looking to acquire it from a collectibility standpoint... It's just that the finish has seen better days. And I saw a P6 in a brushed stainless Cerakote... And all I can say is wow!

Great gun.

Nickel or Hard Chrome will wear a lot better than Cerakote.

I never understood what the big deal was until I got to handle one. With how well it fit my hands, I can definitely see why it has become such a popular pistol.

I have a Sig P6. It was made in april 1991. It is a GREAT shooter. SUPER tight groups. I just wish the capacity was greater. I put Trijicons on it Green front, orange back...

It is in the process of getting a cerakote job (free). I would not say it is a super collectible gun or by any means a rare gun. I regard it as a good knock-around piece. It is the cheapest of the weapons I would be willing to carry.

My P6 eats any lead I feed it. I polished the feed ramp & it just devours anything.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Personally, I wouldn't spend too much over the original purchase price other than getting it to specs and feeding well. I won't go for a single stack 9mm myself, even if it's a SIG. The price would definitely have to be right. For a collector piece.....fine. For concealed carry (why we are here), I'd say low investment potential. The ONLY defensive pistol I feel comfortable with in a single stack magazine is 45ACP. That's just me. If I wanted a nice collection of firearms, this one would likely be my list to have. If I had it, it might not come out of the safe often. Just me. Most of what I have gets used or deployed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't spend too much over the original purchase price other than getting it to specs and feeding well. I won't go for a single stack 9mm myself, even if it's a SIG. The price would definitely have to be right. For a collector piece.....fine. For concealed carry (why we are here), I'd say low investment potential. The ONLY defensive pistol I feel comfortable with in a single stack magazine is 45ACP. That's just me. If I wanted a nice collection of firearms, this one would likely be my list to have. If I had it, it might not come out of the safe often. Just me. Most of what I have gets used or deployed.
    I carry mine IWB 4 o'clock because it IS single stack.

Don't know the manufacture date, bought it several years ago, had springs replaced, sent off for TFO sights, good to go.

Goes bang every time, except won't feed JHP, so it's FMJ all the way. My wife's hand is small, which is why I own the gun. May consider barrel replacement. Overall, a nice shooter.

Just ordered 3 promags to shoot USPSA with the significant other. Looking forward to it

Quote Originally Posted by NCGunDude View Post
    I carry mine IWB 4 o'clock because it IS single stack.

Don't know the manufacture date, bought it several years ago, had springs replaced, sent off for TFO sights, good to go.

Goes bang every time, except won't feed JHP, so it's FMJ all the way. My wife's hand is small, which is why I own the gun. May consider barrel replacement. Overall, a nice shooter.

Just ordered 3 promags to shoot USPSA with the significant other. Looking forward to it
    Someone correct me if I'm edit, I am by no means a SIG expert, but I read that pre '99 P6's have a barrel feed ramp that is not known for reliably feeding HP ammo. If you get your hands on a 225 barrel, it has a different ramp and is also a direct replacement. Also, the Promags suck. I also read that if you replace the Promag mag spring with a Wolff (sp?) Mag spring that is 5% stronger... It works just as good as a genuine SIG mag. Again, this is not firsthand experience, I just have been filing a lot of research.

I keep thinking about picking one up myself.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

+1
    I replaced the rear sight on my P-6 with a nite sight and the factory grips with a nice set of wood grips for a 225. I also have a Sig 2022 PRO that's our bedroom gun.

p6-2022.JPG

279b_1.jpg
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I kick myself for not getting one a couple of years ago when they became available for around $300.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links