Walther PPQ.....WOW

This is a discussion on Walther PPQ.....WOW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I was in a gun store the other day and I'm just looking around and I see a Walther PPQ. I have been wanting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Walther PPQ.....WOW

Walther PPQ.....WOW

So I was in a gun store the other day and I'm just looking around and I see a Walther PPQ. I have been wanting to handle one of these for a while now and here was my chance. So i asked the lady if I could hold it and she sees what I am pointing at and says: "You want to hold the most comfortable gun in the world huh?"

She hands it to me and all I can say is WOW. This gun felt really, really good in my hand. Amazing in fact. It seems to be about the same size and a Glock 19. But the grip fit me like a glove. The mag release, which I thought I would not like, actually was very good. I can release the mag with my trigger finger with no shift in the grip of the gun at all. None. I always have to shift the gun in my hand to hit the mag release on a conventional button type mag release gun unless it is a single stack 9mm like my Kahr CW9 and even then I can just barely drop the mag without changing my grip.

I love this gun and I can not wait for them to come out with a subcompact model. But int he mean time, this may well be the next gun I buy after the move back to Tennessee and everything else is settled back to normal.

Anyone own one of these? I'd love to hear thoughts from owners and maybe range reports.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Looks very ergonomic. I've not handled one yet.
    1boredguy likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've given the Walther pistols a good look several times in the past few years. Mainly the 22LR models for competition, but I must say they are very attractive in many ways.

Thumbs up

By far the best handgun i have ever owned....or shot! Ergonomics, accuracy, quality build....it has it all!!

In a world without Glock, I might fancy a PPQ.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I’ve had mine since JAN, bought it as a companion to my PPS and possibly to use in IDPA for other than CDP. For comparison, my normal range gun is a Les Baer Concept V, and I carry a Les Baer Stinger, I’ve been a 1911 guy for a long, long, time. I’m about as anti polymer (or was) as a shooter could be and I’m now thinking of selling one of my SIGs to buy another one.

I’m flat out impressed with the PPQ, the ergonomics are fantastic, and the trigger is the closest thing I’ve felt on a polymer gun to a 1911. It’s nothing short of superb, and feels like it was made to be staged prior to let off. So far I’ve only put 400 rounds through it, but I’m heading out today for another couple hundred. I’ve let my friends try it, and not one hasn’t liked it, with all commenting on the trigger, and they’re a pretty experienced bunch. The sights are perfectly adequate for combat sights, and I can even shoot with them without my glasses, there’s that much daylight around the front blade.

The mag release takes some getting used to, which is why I bought the PPQ so it would make reloads with the PPS easier. Once you do get used to it, IMHO it’s superior to a button type. The PPQ does recoil a little more than some others, I believe this is due to a slightly higher bore axis, and the fact it’s a pretty light pistol. When you compare it to other pistols in the same category, its stats: weight, capacity, size, barrel length, and sight radius compare pretty favorably. Since it’s based on the P99, it’s also got a decent track record going for it.

Seriously, did I mention the trigger? For about $500 the gun is a fantastic pistol.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I went to the Sportsman Expo in Harrisburg PA last weekend. There was a S&W booth that had a bunch of M&Ps and Walthers to fondle. I spent a lot of time on the PPQ. Like you said Mike, fits like a glove. The trigger was superb. Crisp with a positive reset. I loved it. I liked the trigger much better than on the P99.

The M&P felt awesome in the hand as well. The trigger was horrible. The pull on the 9/40 wasn't bad, but reset almost is non-existent. The .45 was just all around bad.

The PPQ has made it's way to possibly being the next purchase. I like the the way the slide tapers at the top. Looks comfy to carry.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I'll be at my local GS this weekend... I'll have to see if they have one on display so I can check it out... The PPS didn't do anything for me, but who know's this one might; seems to rank pretty high with most of the DC members that have had a chance to check um out..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I haven't found any "button" mag release I particularly liked or was easy for me to activate. This has peeked my interest. Now I'll have to locate one to try.

Congrats on your new addition.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    My only hold up on the PPQ is track record. So far it seems pretty good, but we shall see. The trigger is sweet.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I have been shooting handguns for over 50 years, 30 years retired military. I Own high end 1911s, lots of others, HKs, Sigs, Glocks, CZ's etc. NONE of them have a better trigger than the PPQ. None of them are better ergonomically than the PPQ. The only ones as accurate as the PPQ are the Wilson's and Les Baers. The PPQ has impressed me more than any gun out of the box and it costs about the same as a Glock if you search on line. Everyone owes it to themselves to try one. This gun is amazing!!!!
    Philly Boy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by anchor44 View Post
    I have been shooting handguns for over 50 years, 30 years retired military. I Own high end 1911s, lots of others, HKs, Sigs, Glocks, CZ's etc. NONE of them have a better trigger than the PPQ. None of them are better ergonomically than the PPQ. The only ones as accurate as the PPQ are the Wilson's and Les Baers. The PPQ has impressed me more than any gun out of the box and it costs about the same as a Glock if you search on line. Everyone owes it to themselves to try one. This gun is amazing!!!!
    Kind of grows on you doesn’t it!

Put another 250 rds through mine this afternoon shooting some IDPA COFs. Also ran it a bit with a Surfire X300 on it to check reliability, again zero issues.

I’m really hoping they come out with a long slide competition model and/or a compact.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

This is why I hate you guys.....now I have to explain to the boss why I need to buy another gun!

Well that is easy do what I did buy her one. Thought that was a good plan...........wrong............she loves it and can shoot the heck out of it. Great gun so far about 450 rounds through it. Ergo is fantastic and the trigger is sweeeeeeeet. Well Imhave it sneak it out because if the wife see's me with it she takes it and I will not get to shoot it. So little secret ordered my own.
    Philly Boy likes this.

My wife wants one for her EDC, they are very nice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links