Range Report: New Glock 23 Gen 4

This is a discussion on Range Report: New Glock 23 Gen 4 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Holy smokes Batman, this is one hot piece! Seriously, I've fallen in love with the .40 S&W caliber again; I didn't expect the dual recoil ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Report: New Glock 23 Gen 4

Range Report: New Glock 23 Gen 4

Holy smokes Batman, this is one hot piece!

Seriously, I've fallen in love with the .40 S&W caliber again; I didn't expect the dual recoil spring to make so much of a difference! I absolutely hated shooting .40 with my Gen 3 Glock 23... I'd estimate that the Gen 4 has 10% to 15% less felt recoil, which makes the .40 enjoyable again. I'm glad I finally took Tangle's advice and stopped resisting the Gen 4.

(I've replaced my EDC Gen 3 G19 with this gun for the time being. I'm going to be sticking with the 180 gr. Federal HST).

------------------

Here's what I've done over the last two days (in order):

SHORT VERSION!

484 total rounds, 1 malfunction (stovepipe) due to shooting 9mm with .40 S&W spring.

-------------------

LONG VERSION!

Fired 50 rounds of Aguila 180 gr. FMJ / zero malfs

Swapped in .357 SIG LWD barrel -

Fired 38 rounds of 125 gr. Speer Gold Dot and 50 rounds of 125 gr. Speer Lawman / zero malfs

Swapped in the LWD 9mm conversion barrel -

15 rounds 124 gr. +P Speer Gold Dot, stovepipe on #12

Swapped in the 9mm Dual spring w/ 9mm barrel -

35 rounds 124 gr. +P Speer Gold Dot / zero malfs / Apparently the 9mm spring is necessary when shooting 9mm! (I did receive 4 or 5 extractions to the forehead while shooting 9mm).

Back to .40 S&W barrel and spring

46 rounds of 180 gr. Speer Gold Dot and 50 rounds of 180 gr. Aguila FMJ / zero malfs

100 rounds of 180 gr. Federal HST / zero malfs

100 rounds of 180 gr. Aguila FMJ / zero malfs

------------------------

Totals -

.40 S&W - 346 rounds, zero malfunctions

.357 SIG - 88 rounds, zero malfunctions

9mm - 50 rounds, 1 malfunction (stovepipe on #12) due to shooting 9mm with .40 S&W spring

484 total rounds, 1 malfunction due to shooting 9mm with .40 S&W spring.

--------------------------

I will continually update this thread as I continue to shoot, but I do not anticipate any problems.

Additional info:

The Cerakote job was excellent, and it was done, once again, by STG Firearms in Prescott Valley, AZ. The wear you see on the trigger guard and frame is from my ALL KYDEX holster (Dale Fricke Archangel), and I have the same wear on my Glock 19.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Glad to hear things went well and Well Done on your new Glock. If there is that much difference in felt recoil, I think I'm going to have to get to my range and rent one and see how it feels to me.
    There just may be a new line of firearms that I need to buy!

Thanks for the report.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Congrats on the new G23! I'm going to be a slow convert into the 4th gen Glocks. The 40S&W is one of my favorites as well, and Glock made it so for me. Hard for me to believe improvements could be made. I'm growing old and it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks.

Thanks for sharing! I'm headed to the range this weekend to try my new Gen4 G-23. Did you get the Glock Sig 357 barrel and just drop it in? Did you just use the G23 40 mags with it? On the 9mm conversion, did you use the Gen4 G19 spring? I've been considering the Lone Wolf options too. Looks pretty cool to be able to get 3 guns from 1.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I'm headed to the range this weekend to try my new Gen4 G-23. Did you get the Glock Sig 357 barrel and just drop it in? Did you just use the G23 40 mags with it? On the 9mm conversion, did you use the Gen4 G19 spring? I've been considering the Lone Wolf options too. Looks pretty cool to be able to get 3 guns from 1.
    The .357 SIG barrel was from Lone Wolf Dist, and yes, the .40 and .357 mags are interchangeable.

And yes, you do need the Gen 4 9mm spring to shoot 9mm malfunction free.

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Senior Moderator
    AZ Hawk, that's great news and encouraging.

After all Glock has gone through, it's good to see the good reports.

That's a nice looking piece too. I didn't realize gen 4s came in green, I guess there's some 'official' name for the color.

I am glad that you are pleased with the gen 4. There's something about the gen 4s that's hard to put in words - you said it as good as it can be said - go shoot one!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Sponsor

Question

Thanks for the intel...I appreciate it!

So, did the early Gen 4 G19's come with G23 springs, was that the problem?

I'm just now getting involved with Glocks. I'm a recovering 1911 shooter...
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Shooting Coach & Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

There's a lot of gen IV love going around, lately.

Interesting review

I'm waiting to see what C Hawk Glock's report is on his recently acquired G 23, also.

I cannot confirm, but I've read that Glock made some of the gen IV changes around the .40.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Moderator
    Hey AZ, you gonna reverse the mag release? Another Tangle recommendation - in fact, that's one of three reasons I got a Gen 4.

Of course I can't know, but I think you would like it.

Thanks AZ Hawk! I now have my wish list. Pretty amazing that for $240(+9mm mags) you can have two different configurations for the G23. Can't wait to see how mine does this weekend.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    sounds like you had a un packed range day.

VIP Member
    Nice review AZ!

Is that color Suarez approved?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Hey AZ, you gonna reverse the mag release? Another Tangle recommendation - in fact, that's one of three reasons I got a Gen 4.

Of course I can't know, but I think you would like it.
    No, the thought has never crossed my mind. What would be the purpose of reversing it?

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Nice review AZ!

Is that color Suarez approved?
    Haha!

When there are so many black Glocks laying around, it's very easy to mix up whose is whose. This gets rid of that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    AZ Hawk, that's great news and encouraging.

After all Glock has gone through, it's good to see the good reports.

That's a nice looking piece too. I didn't realize gen 4s came in green, I guess there's some 'official' name for the color.

I am glad that you are pleased with the gen 4. There's something about the gen 4s that's hard to put in words - you said it as good as it can be said - go shoot one!
    First, thanks.

Second, the color is actually Coyote Tan but appears more like Flat Dark Earth. It's a custom job.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    No, the thought has never crossed my mind. What would be the purpose of reversing it?
    Easier to use and requires much less rotation of the gun in the hand. Try this. Grip the gun in your normal grip and see if you can release the mag with your thumb without significantly rotating the gun in your hand. Next put your the tip of your trigger finger on top of the mag release on the right side of the gun. Notice how much more accessible it is and how much more power you have in your finger to press it.

I have all my guns set up that way that have mag releases that can be reversed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links