Bersa BP9CC: first thoughts

This is a discussion on Bersa BP9CC: first thoughts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My Son and I took the new Bersa BP9CC to that range for the first time last night. We didn't have a lot of time ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By High Altitude

Thread: Bersa BP9CC: first thoughts

Sponsor

Bersa BP9CC: first thoughts

My Son and I took the new Bersa BP9CC to that range for the first time last night. We didn't have a lot of time and just wanted to ensure that it was functional before an extended range trip planned for this weekend.

It's my boy's eighteenth birthday next week and while I will maintain ownership for now, the Bersa will be his carry pistol when he hits 21.

OK, now for some details. The ammo used was my hand loaded 117gr, hard cast with 4.0gr win 231 powder. This is the load that I have found to work best in my PPS. We did not try any factory ammo. We'll be running some White Box 115 this weekend.

The factory sights are very nice. Nothing spectacular but I do like the larger front dot and small rear dots.

The trigger has just a bit of gritty creep just before a clean break and the reset is wonderfully short and pronounced.

We ran about 45 rounds through it and at first my son was having problems with stove piping and FTFs. I took it over and found that it was very susceptible to limp wristing. I had no problems unless I tried to induce a malf. My boy has not spent much time shooting hand guns to date, mostly rifles and the occasional magazine through a 1911. After a little coaching and modifying his grip slightly, he had no more problems. I'm going to chalk this up to his lack of experience and the slightly hot loads. Not to mention that my cast bullets are truncated and not round nose. All of these could contribute to the finicky performance last night.

Accuracy wise, this little guy is right on. The recoil is sharp but easily managed and the short reset trigger is sweet. I hope the little bit of gritty take up smooths out with use, but it isn't really that bad as it is.

My one complaint would be the magazine disconnect. I really don't care about it as far as having to have a mag installed to fire, but I do not like that you must insert a magazine to "de-cock" the pistol for break down.

I'll post more after we beat it up this weekend and see how it likes the cheap WallyWorld ammo.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

2. Remove Ads

Some pictures would be great! The magazine disconnect should be able to be easily removed (at least in many pistols).

A friend of mine got one of these and he brought it over to my backyard to do some shooting and proving. We had a few failures to feed due to the case mouths of the brass occasionally getting hung up on the edge of the chamber entrance. We compared the Bersa barrel to my Glock barrel and noticed the Glock barrel had a small radius on the edge of the chamber entrance. Out came the dremel with a stone followed by some sandpaper and polish to break the sharp edge entry of the Bersa barrel. While we had the barrel in hand, we polished the feed ramp, too. Since we had the gun apart, we stoned the frame rail guides and the slots in the slide. To finish everything off, we polished anything that had movement against another part.

After doing these few little details, the little Bersa is dead reliable and much smoother than it was when it came out of the box. We did look at the magazine disconnect, but it is designed in such a way that defeating it would be much more involved than other guns.

Just picked up my second BP Wednesday night. Serial #'s are 85 apart from each other and were purchased from different companies, so you can see how few of these have hit the States.
    Glad, but sad to say, the trigger on the second BP has absolutely NO grittiness and drops like a fine tuned 1911 trigger (ok, I can dream), and is much smoother than the first. The first BP has the same
    trigger grittiness mentioned by the OP, but after the initial grit, it drops very smoothly. Quick trigger reset is incredibly short and quick, and should do well in a rapid fire scenario.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    The mag disconnect is part of the trigger system. If you try to remove it the trigger won't reset.

I know most probably know this, but I wanted to throw it out there. Make sure you clean and lube these guns before shooting them the first time. They come covered in a preservative, it is not a gun oil.

Mine has been reliable so far, but I have very few rounds through it.

I have been spending my range time with my Gen4 19, but now that that is some what squared away I am going to shift gears to my single stack 9mms.

In addition to the BP9cc, I have a Kahr CW9. I am going to ring both out side by side and choose one, sell the other.
    zonker1986 likes this.

Sponsor
    High Altitude,

I gave it a good cleaning and treated it with Eezox before it was fired. The same treatment that I use for any of my pistols.

Today we ran about 50 rnds of white box 115 through it and had one FTE though I was not watching at the exact moment that it happened so I can't make any diagnosis. That was in the first magazine and no problems after that one.

I wanted to put it through the wringer but we had several of my Son's friends with us as this was his choice of activities to celebrate his B Day. This was the first time most of them had fire a hand gun so I spent more time going over safety and the basics on a full size 9mm(Steyr M9A1) with them.

I will say that this Bersa is going to give my PPS a real run for the money. If the Bersa had been $50.00 cheaper, I would say that it wins hands down. At the BP9CC's price of $399.00, the Walther has enough added features(and no magazine disconnect) to make the extra $100.00+/- money well spent.

Only time will tell for sure but I see this as a great little CC pistol right now. I plan on putting a few hundred more rounds through it next week.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

Question

"I'll post more after we beat it up this weekend and see how it likes the cheap WallyWorld ammo."
    ???
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

Dang it...after my less than steller experience with the Kahr CW9 I had convinced myself I didn't really need the BP9CC. Now you guys are making me think otherwise...
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

In between two Glocks. Bersa BP 9CC.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

My wife has a BP9CC. I posted a thread with some comparisons to my PPS. I've only had it out to the range once but the trigger reset is a beautiful thing.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldiernurse View Post
    "I'll post more after we beat it up this weekend and see how it likes the cheap WallyWorld ammo."
    ???
    After a little SNAFU, all is good. The Bersa eats it all. I did have a hand full of reloads that none of my pistolas would stomach but that was due to a slight bulge from over sized bullets. Completely my fault. No issues with White box or remy bulk or my own slightly hot recipe.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    M&P Forum
    Holsters

The more I read about the BP9cc the more I like it. Do you have the stainless slide model? I would definitely look into how to remove the mag disconnect. The Bersa thunde cc are relatively easy to remove and youtube videos available to walk you through it. I haven't seen any on the BP9cc yet. A local gunsmith could probably knock it out in 5 minutes though. The older Bersa weapons don't have that feature....not sure why they felt compelled to start now.

Great report. Hope it continues to give good service. I know I will end up with one at some point.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The BP9CC is different from the other Bersa's in that it is striker fired. I looked at the BP9CC at a local gun shop this week. I loved the feel of the gun in the hand. I really liked the trigger pull; some will hate the feel of it though. The mag disconnect appears to be an integral part of the trigger mechanism and would be difficult to remove or alter in my opinion; looks to me like it would cause trigger reset issues. This is disappointing to me because it is the only reason that prevents me from purchasing one of these right now. I've had problems with mag disconnects in the past with firearm functioning. It is just one more thing to malfunction or break that can get in the way of firing the gun. Additionally, I don't like the fact that you have to put a mag in the gun to pull the trigger in order to field strip.

I would discourage trying to remove or alter the mag disconnect personally, but to each his own. I'd be surprised if a reputable gunsmith would touch it in this particular firearm the way it is designed. As to why Bersa put it there, I believe that it, and the integrated gun lock, were used for enough importation points for it to be sold in the US.
    Last edited by ejes; September 29th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

I bought a BP9CC. I really wanted to love it since I previously had a 9UC and it was trouble free. Unfortunately, the gun hates hollow points (with a couple exceptions).

It shoots the following ammo just fine:

WWB 115 gr FMJ
    Fiocchi 115 gr FMJ
    Fiocchi Extrema XTP 115 gr
    Magtech 92.6 gr SCHP
    Hornady TAP XTP

It will NOT feed the following:

Federal 147 gr HST
    Federal 124 gr EFMJ
    Speer Gold Dot 124 gr JHP

I had the feed ramp and chamber polished, but saw no improvement. My current plan is to send it back to Bersa for repair. When I get it back from Bersa, I will probably put it up for sale.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Quote Originally Posted by Soldiernurse View Post
    ???
    I did not post the above?
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

Links