Makarov for CCW

Makarov for CCW

This is a discussion on Makarov for CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was recently on a pistol cleaning spree and freed my Makarov from the safe. I bought it in 2004 for around $100. It's a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Makarov for CCW

Makarov for CCW

I was recently on a pistol cleaning spree and freed my Makarov from the safe. I bought it in 2004 for around $100. It's a great carry gun. Comfortable weight with 8 +1 rounds of 9mm Mak. When I carry this it tends to be more in the summer time. The pistol is dead accurate at 15 yards. The caliber is a bit better than a .380acp but under powered for a 9mm. No blinding muzzle flash or deafening roar. The only thing I don't like are the anemic sights. I'd love to switch them out but so far I haven't found compatible ones.

The pistol only has 27 parts total. The engineering is purely simple brilliance. The only tools required to completely strip the pistol are a screw driver for grip and spring removal. All else is cam designed to pop in and out. Everything goes in only one way.

Does anyone else carry one of these?

I don't have one but would like to. I'd be happy to carry it instead of a P3AT during the summer. Nice little gun you have there.

I have a 380 I bought back in 1988 and have had it ever since. I like the single /double trigger action and the gun is a tank. I mean I could drop it out of a plane and it would still shoot. the only draw backs are the sights are the pits; steel blade front and black noched flat blade back. one other thing is the edge around the trigger guard is a little sharped edged and can rub a bit when shooting. the euro mag release takes a bit to get used to

the best $100.00 as far a quality gun I ever spent

I rock a cz-82 in the 9 mmM and it seems to do well. It is a single/double action and a hammer disengage if the trigger is not pulled. I you like your makarov you may look at one like an 82. We can cram in 12+1. It is my pistol of choice so far.

So vis pacem, para bellum
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've been carrying a Bulgarian Makarov a lot lately. I have two of them.

The one I carry is outfitted with Pearce grips and rides in a Falco OWB holster. I also have a Don Hume JIT, but the Falco holds the gun closer to the body.

Mak_7yds.jpg Mak1.jpg Makarov-in-falco.jpg

VIP Member
    Not a Makarov, but I do on occasion carry a CZ82 chambered in 9mm Mak. Easy to carry, accurate and 12+1.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yes. I'm glad you brought this up. I do carry my East German Makarov frequently as well as its cousin, the CZ 82 referred to earlier. The Mak is nicely thin, and meets my preference for a DA/SA model with exposed hammer. The shape and contour made it difficult to fit it into one of my regular IWB holsters, but I have settled on Uncle Mike's Model 15 as the best. Buffalo Bore now has defensive rounds available although I've not
    tried them. These are available with a C&R license too.
    Six Stringers and Six Shooters

I bought two CZ82 had them redone at Robar. Made a couple of IWB holsters. I shoot the one every week I absolutely love the feel and ergonomics of these guns. They are very accurate and easy to shoot and nice to carry.mthe ammo I use for carrying the Hornady Critical Defense.

I've been looking at the CZ82. I do have a C&R FFL. I just always get side tracked. I have a box of the Buffalo Bore coming. I'll do a follow up when I shoot some at the range.

I carry this pistol in a Don Hume JIT, like lowercase. I've recently gotten a Remora no clip holster for my Glock 19 that the Makarov fits and rides very comfortably.

My EDC is a Bulgarian Makarov. The Mak is dead accurate and is simply a joy to shoot. Hornady hollow points work well in the Mak.
    CaptainHaplo likes this.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    The Mak is too big and heavy for the caliber. At least that's what I read on the internet each time a Beretta .380 is mentioned, so it must be true for the Mak as well.

My CZ82 after Robar.IMG_0274.JPG
    genauwiedu likes this.

If you go that route, be careful of the cheap jhp ammo

Many fail to expand

I absolutely enjoy shooting the CZ82, but for CCW, the full 9mm would be my minimum
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    don't have one, but nice looking gun...IMHO anything that you carry all the time and shoot well is a great choice... I frequently carry a .380 cal but always carry even in the home
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

I think that solution to the cheap Hp is use Hornady Critical Defense Ammo for carry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links