Defensive Carry banner

Makarov for CCW

16K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  wyo-man 
#1 ·
I was recently on a pistol cleaning spree and freed my Makarov from the safe. I bought it in 2004 for around $100. It's a great carry gun. Comfortable weight with 8 +1 rounds of 9mm Mak. When I carry this it tends to be more in the summer time. The pistol is dead accurate at 15 yards. The caliber is a bit better than a .380acp but under powered for a 9mm. No blinding muzzle flash or deafening roar. The only thing I don't like are the anemic sights. I'd love to switch them out but so far I haven't found compatible ones.

The pistol only has 27 parts total. The engineering is purely simple brilliance. The only tools required to completely strip the pistol are a screw driver for grip and spring removal. All else is cam designed to pop in and out. Everything goes in only one way.

Does anyone else carry one of these?

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a 380 I bought back in 1988 and have had it ever since. I like the single /double trigger action and the gun is a tank. I mean I could drop it out of a plane and it would still shoot. the only draw backs are the sights are the pits; steel blade front and black noched flat blade back. one other thing is the edge around the trigger guard is a little sharped edged and can rub a bit when shooting. the euro mag release takes a bit to get used to

the best $100.00 as far a quality gun I ever spent

#4 ·
I rock a cz-82 in the 9 mmM and it seems to do well. It is a single/double action and a hammer disengage if the trigger is not pulled. I you like your makarov you may look at one like an 82. We can cram in 12+1. It is my pistol of choice so far.

So vis pacem, para bellum

#5 ·
I've been carrying a Bulgarian Makarov a lot lately. I have two of them.

The one I carry is outfitted with Pearce grips and rides in a Falco OWB holster. I also have a Don Hume JIT, but the Falco holds the gun closer to the body.

Gun Revolver Trigger
Gun Revolver Starting pistol Trigger Airsoft gun
Handgun holster Outerwear Belt Leather Bag

#7 ·
Yes. I'm glad you brought this up. I do carry my East German Makarov frequently as well as its cousin, the CZ 82 referred to earlier. The Mak is nicely thin, and meets my preference for a DA/SA model with exposed hammer. The shape and contour made it difficult to fit it into one of my regular IWB holsters, but I have settled on Uncle Mike's Model 15 as the best. Buffalo Bore now has defensive rounds available although I've not
tried them. These are available with a C&R license too.

#8 ·
I bought two CZ82 had them redone at Robar. Made a couple of IWB holsters. I shoot the one every week I absolutely love the feel and ergonomics of these guns. They are very accurate and easy to shoot and nice to carry.mthe ammo I use for carrying the Hornady Critical Defense.

#9 ·
I've been looking at the CZ82. I do have a C&R FFL. I just always get side tracked. I have a box of the Buffalo Bore coming. I'll do a follow up when I shoot some at the range.

I carry this pistol in a Don Hume JIT, like lowercase. I've recently gotten a Remora no clip holster for my Glock 19 that the Makarov fits and rides very comfortably.

#13 ·
If you go that route, be careful of the cheap jhp ammo

Many fail to expand

I absolutely enjoy shooting the CZ82, but for CCW, the full 9mm would be my minimum

#14 ·
don't have one, but nice looking gun...IMHO anything that you carry all the time and shoot well is a great choice... I frequently carry a .380 cal but always carry even in the home

#16 ·
If you are practicing, use reloads, and cheap stuff, when expansion doesn't matter. For defense use the ammo you think best suits your needs, you shouldn't shoot them everyday so pricier, more reliable ammo is justifiable. You don't want a squib when you are in a life or death.

So vis pacem, para bellum

#17 ·
I have carried my Bulgarian Mak off and on since buying it three years ago. I love this gun. I also own a 2.5 inch Smith and Wesson Model 10, also incredibly reliable and about the same weight as the Mak. I prefer to carry my Mak and leave the revolver where my wife can get to it (she does not carry). As everyone has spoken in this thread, the Mak is one of the best guns out there. Not just for its price (often way below pistols not nearly as good) but because of its absolute reliability, accuracy, and shootability (meaning easy to hold and accurate to shoot). Its conceability is not the best, given its weight, but I often just put it in my front right pocket and no one knows it is there. I have an inside the waist holster, which is comfortable and I carry it behind my right hip. I am glad I had it when I was traveling out of town and someone tried to get into my motel room. I simply waited with my Mak, chambered but not cocked, in my hand. The person fortunately went away.

I have read for years debates about the 9x18 vs 9mm or .38, and to tell you the truth, the more accurate you are, and quickly, will do a lot more to save you than absolute caliber size. I like the Colt 1911 too, but I would not be comfortable carrying it as often as I do my Mak. I have owned Walther PP, S&W 39, Sig 226, Beretta 70s and 84, and others, but none can give me the confidence the Makarov does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.