Yes C Hawk Glock is doing a Glock Gen 4 review

This is a discussion on Yes C Hawk Glock is doing a Glock Gen 4 review within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Many of the folks who know me on DC know that I have been a long time Glock and M&P fan. They also know ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Yes C Hawk Glock is doing a Glock Gen 4 review

VIP Member

Hi,

Many of the folks who know me on DC know that I have been a long time Glock and M&P fan. They also know that I had some major issues with my first Glock Gen 4, which was a G17. It scorned me a bit and I was hard on Gen 4 Glocks ever since. My first experience was just not like the other Glocks I have come to know, respect, trust and love. I figured that I may be a glutton for punishment or just the tinkerer in me had to try this again. I could have easily went my normal route and bought an M&P40c, but that would be too boring and I know it would be trouble free. So a long comes the G23.......

After have the bad taste in my mouth over the G17, I figured that I would go with a .40 G23 this time. To add a little more punishment for myself I figured I would also add a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel to the mix. Here are the firearms specs below.

Glock 23 Gen 4
    Ghost Rocket 3.5lb connector
    Extended Slide Release (Installed just for AZ Hawk!)
    Titanium take down pins
    Tru-Glo TFO 2 Fiber Optic Night Sights
    Lone Wolf 9mm Conversion Barrel
    Glock 19 Mags for 9mm Conversion
    Ammunition tested: Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Defense, Winchester White Box, Federal Wal-Mart, BVAC

Shooting-

I have had this firearm for a little bit, but did not just run out and create a review. I wanted to have some time spent and really have an idea of how I know the G23 would operate and feel. When I bought the gun it had an older recoil spring and so I called Glock for the updated one right away. I figured that if I did have issues it would save time in testing if I had this on order.

Day one-
    150 rounds of .40 Federal (Walmart) 100% reliable
    150 rounds of 9mm BVAC remanufactured in lone wolf barrel 100% reliable

After the first day at the range I was frankly a bit perplexed. I figured I may have a couple issue with the old recoil spring, but it shot like a dream even with under powered ammunition. The part that totally shocked me was that even the 9mm with the .40 recoil spring shot great. From my previous experience I figure there was no way in hell that the 9mm rounds would work with the .40 recoil spring, but I was wrong.

Day two-

On day two I tested the G23 with my Gold Dots and shot off some Critical Defense. Both worked without a hiccup! I also figured I would shoot some 9mm again and switched ammo to Federal from BVAC. To my surprise the 9mm shot great again.

After a few weeks-

Some time has passed and I have shot hundreds of rounds through the G23 and my initial testing. I have learned a few things a long the way. The first one, is that my suspicions of .40 and larger calibers are not having as many issues as the 9mm models seem to be true even with the old recoil spring. I have also changed my stance on what is the best model of Glock as well. I used to think the G19 was the best because of the size and accuracy, but now I am pretty convinced in the G23 because of it's versatility. I typically just bought other calibers if I wanted that gun as I am not a big conversion guy, but this setup has changed me.

My final impressions-

This is a comfortable great shooting firearm. I just don't see many things to complain about as I have been delighted. I have come to like the RTF grip, and how this Glock shoots. I highly recommend Glock again a long with M&P.

I will continue to update this as I receive more data.

WHEC724, zacii and OD* like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Hope all goes well,those pesky infractions tend to linger

Great thread! I was about to do the same thing with a 23, but then I checked the price of 40 ammo and changed my mind. Felt that I'd mostly use 9mm anyway, so why bother with the conversion route!? Any more input on this?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    Great thread! I was about to do the same thing with a 23, but then I checked the price of 40 ammo and changed my mind. Felt that I'd mostly use 9mm anyway, so why bother with the conversion route!? Any more input on this?
    Well my input is that I really like the characteristics of the .40 round. I think it's a great comprise of power and capacity as compared to the 9mm and .45. I personally love a .45 but hate giving up so many rounds capacity wise.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Every company produces a lemon now and then, sometimes even a barrels of them. The bad companies go away; the good companies make a batch of lemonade, fix the problem, and continue on. Looks like Glock may be enjoying a cool glass of lemonade.

Glad to see your G23 works so well in both calibers.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsor
    Thanks for the intel...
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Glad it worked for you dude. I'm thinking of a new 23 myself.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Extended Slide Release (Installed just for AZ Hawk!)
    Haha, woot!

Seriously though, I'm glad your G23 is working out for you as well. Did you notice less felt recoil as well?
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Senior Moderator
    OH BOY C Hawk Glock - great news!

You didn't say anything about the Ghost Rocket connector???
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    OH BOY C Hawk Glock - great news!

You didn't say anything about the Ghost Rocket connector???
    Tangle,

I love the rocket connector it has a sweet trigger! I am very impressed with this firearm, it kind of shocked me and what my expectations were.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Haha, woot!

Seriously though, I'm glad your G23 is working out for you as well. Did you notice less felt recoil as well?
    You know I have to say yes, but I thought it maybe a placebo effect at first. I didn't notice it on my G17 but I am starting to think that the dual recoil spring shines with the larger calibers. By they way I like your new rig too!

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Senior Moderator
    Tangle,

I love the rocket connector it has a sweet trigger! I am very impressed with this firearm, it kind of shocked me and what my expectations were.
    That makes my day! It does make one sweet set up doesn't it! Man I'm glad this all worked out so good for you! You certainly deserved it after what you went through with your first gen 4.

Did you have any trouble installing the Rocket?

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I have a G23 gen 4 and absolutely love it just ordered a barrel for .357 sig glad to hear the barrel worked well...
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Senior Moderator
    ...After have the bad taste in my mouth over the G17...
    You ain't suppose to have them in your mouth!

Just kidding of course, actually I wanted to ask you what you thought of the Tru-Glo TFO 2 Fiber Optic Night Sights?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    You ain't suppose to have them in your mouth!

Just kidding of course, actually I wanted to ask you what you thought of the Tru-Glo TFO 2 Fiber Optic Night Sights?
    For the most part I love the sights. One of the issues with night sights in my opinion is that they have very little white to pick up in the day. These glow very bright during the day and are on par with anyone else during the night. My only real issue is that I think the front sight is a touch long because of the fiber optic rod. Other then that I love them. See my picture above with regards to the front sight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links