Range Report - Another Gen 4 Glock 23

This is a discussion on Range Report - Another Gen 4 Glock 23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up this gun at a gun show a few weeks ago and have been anxiously awaiting getting to the range. Today was the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JoeFriday

Thread: Range Report - Another Gen 4 Glock 23

Range Report - Another Gen 4 Glock 23

I picked up this gun at a gun show a few weeks ago and have been anxiously awaiting getting to the range. Today was the day. Years ago I owned a Glock 17 which timing wise would have been the first release. I never had any issues with it, but I traded that gun back in 1991 or 1992. This is the first Glock since then.

Initial impressions
    Very accurate out of the box and pleasant to shoot. Within the first 50 rounds or so, I had blown out the center of the target. I didn't think the recoil was bad at all and is pretty close to my Nano. I don't have any experience shooting the prior 40 S&W Glock pistols, so I can offer a comparison of how that changed. I really like the way the gun fits my hand without a backstrap on. It's much more comfortable to shoot than my Nano; however, the Nano is much easier to conceal. So, I think I have a winning pair. The G23 when I can support something a little bigger. The Nano when I need something small and compact.

Ammo
    On tap for today was WWB, RWS, and Federal Classic. Let's see how they did.

50 Rounds Federal Classic 180 - All fired with no issues.
    100 Rounds RWS 180gr FMJ - All fired with no issues.
    100 Rounds WWB 165gr FMJ - All fired with no issues. A friend of mine shot this box, and today was his first day of shooting.

250 Rounds Total - No issues.

Reliability
    Out of the box, the Glock chewed through it's first 250 rounds without a hiccup. For me, that's good to go for carry.

I guess Glock has the Gen 4 issues under wraps now since this is the second 'no issues' report recently. I'm waiting for a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel and G19 spring to arrive so that I can switch over and shoot 9mm if I wish. I really like the gun and how it shoots.
    Philly Boy and ironmike86 like this.

2. Remove Ads

Glocks are great aren't they? I have a 2nd/3rd gen and have thousands of rounds through and the only FTF are the ones I induced. You can also convert to .357sig if you want a bigger bang. Watch the ejection on the 9mm conversion.

Gen 4 Glock 23's rock!!!! Love mine!!!! Congrads on the new gun.....
    Glock 23...
    Bushmaster AR15 with Trijicon ACOG and Magpul acceseries....

I can't believe how easy it is to turn the G23 to a 9mm or 357 Sig. I had considered the G19 but really wanted to have a 40 S&W option. I remember from my G17 days, it was just an easy gun to shoot. Doesn't look like that has changed over the years. I really enjoyed shooting it today. It was such a hoot.

My best friend has a chance to buy one with three mags from another friend going through a divorce for $300. He's tight and so hes hesitating and I am chomping at the bit...lol

Senior Moderator
    Thanks for the report! It's encouraging to hear more and more good reports like this. As you say, hopefully the problematic times are essentially behind us finally.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Links