Glock 23 or S&W M&P .40c

Glock 23 or S&W M&P .40c

This is a discussion on Glock 23 or S&W M&P .40c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok i have had experience with both the glock 23 gen 4, and the S&W M&P .40c… I am sorry i did a search and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Glock 23 or S&W M&P .40c

Glock 23 or S&W M&P .40c

Ok i have had experience with both the glock 23 gen 4, and the S&W M&P .40c…

I am sorry i did a search and then i found nothing on these two for a thread.

It comes down to personal preference, this i know. However I love both of these, the way they feel, the way they shoot this is a really hard decision. That is why i have chose to come here for advice and experience.

I have heard about FTE and FTF with the glock 23 gen 4's. I have heard nothing bad about the M&P S&W .40c. I carry a full size M&P .40, and therefor I am biased towards the S&W. But I would not mind giving the glock a try, but am ify with the reports about FTE & FTF.

Can anyone report the FTF&FTE's with glock 23 gen 4? and anything about the S&W?

Thanks,

Jerp
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    Can't say anything about Glock gen4, but I can say that my (EDC) 40c has performed flawlessly with nearly 1000 rds through it.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Have no experience with 40's, but I have given thought to a G23 and, then, getting a replacement barrel for the 9mm slug. I don't know if you can do that with the M&P, but the Smith is a good gun, too, so you just have to make up your mind. I think a barrel will cost around $130-$160, so cost may be your biggest factor. Good luck!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

M&P. Sweet shooters, as reliable as it gets.

If you already have the M&P full size in .40, I say go for the M&P. Keeping your guns on the same platform can't be a bad thing.

These two guns are so matched in quality, price, and reliability that you can afford to base your decision on more trivial qualities like appearance and cool factor.

well i appreciate everything so far, what i know is that the M&P .40 can be swaped with barrels for 9mm or 357sig. it accepts full size mags, I do like it. but i also like the glock. both look cool to me, each with their own special traits. last i heard, glocks can be swaped as well, just as stated above. mainly as i stated in my original post. i have heard about failures with the glock but nothing with the M&P. however, i would love to add a glock to my collection. now i will probably end up with both, but i am looking more for a EDC gun out of these two. so i will need one now, for the edc and the other added in about 4-5 months once i save up for it. ( and "she who must not be named" is ok with all my gun perchases as long as they come out of my pay check. and she is allowed all the shoes she wants out of her paycheck. fair trade i think, except she still gets to use mine )
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

VIP Member
    Seriously flip a coin on this one. You can't go wrong either way.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Why not just buy a Gen 3 Glock 23? I've never handled a Gen 4, but I know a lot of people like the backstraps you can switch around. If you want a Glock I say get one. I like mine quite a bit and have never had any problems with it, but it's a Gen 3. The 23 and 19 are the same size, and I carry a 19 around just about all the time with no problems at all. The 23 would, in my opinion, make an excellent carry gun. I know I'd like to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by jerp View Post
    well i appreciate everything so far, what i know is that the M&P .40 can be swaped with barrels for 9mm or 357sig. it accepts full size mags, I do like it. but i also like the glock. both look cool to me, each with their own special traits. last i heard, glocks can be swaped as well, just as stated above. mainly as i stated in my original post. i have heard about failures with the glock but nothing with the M&P. however, i would love to add a glock to my collection. now i will probably end up with both, but i am looking more for a EDC gun out of these two. so i will need one now, for the edc and the other added in about 4-5 months once i save up for it. ( and "she who must not be named" is ok with all my gun perchases as long as they come out of my pay check. and she is allowed all the shoes she wants out of her paycheck. fair trade i think, except she still gets to use mine )
    The Glock 23 can also be swapped to .357 SIG and 9mm, and it also accept full size mags.

The new Gen 4's have less felt recoil than the previous Generations, somewhere around 10% or so. I own an M&P 40 as well, and the Gen 4 Glock 23 has 15% less felt recoil than the M&P due to the lower bore axis and dual recoil spring.

If you can, I'd suggest shooting both of them to see what I mean.

Honestly though, you can't go wrong with either of them. Both will be very reliable.
    .XX likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    Why not just buy a Gen 3 Glock 23? I've never handled a Gen 4, but I know a lot of people like the backstraps you can switch around. If you want a Glock I say get one. I like mine quite a bit and have never had any problems with it, but it's a Gen 3. The 23 and 19 are the same size, and I carry a 19 around just about all the time with no problems at all. The 23 would, in my opinion, make an excellent carry gun. I know I'd like to have one.
    The Gen 4 is awesome!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

I have the M&P9c and love it. With all due respect to Glock and it's solid reputation, I'd recommend the S&W. Glocks just don't fit well in my hand.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

I have nothing at all against the Gen 4; they just didn't make them when I bought mine. Likely my next one will be a Gen 4. I'd like to try one out and see how big a difference there is between them and the Gen 3s. I'm looking into .45 instead of .40, but a new gun is a new gun!

I have a Glock 23 that I have shot a lot. I even swap to a .357sig barrel. Never a problem. The problem with Glocks is that they have their own feel, It is sometimes hard for people to transition too. In your case, being that you already carry an M&P, I would stick to that platform. You can probably swap barrels in that too.

I held both at the gun show today and the M&P had a better feel, but I bought the 9C instead because I am a 9mm guy.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links