New Walther PPS 9MM range report

This is a discussion on New Walther PPS 9MM range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up my new 9mm PPS after renting one at a local range a few weeks ago. Got myself a great price at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Walther PPS 9MM range report

New Walther PPS 9MM range report

I picked up my new 9mm PPS after renting one at a local range a few weeks ago. Got myself a great price at the local gun show on a BB coded PPS with one each 8rd and 7rd magazines. I also got my first real holster, a Remora with sweat shield. I cleaned and lubed the gun prior to taking it to the range.

Took the gun to the range today, and ran the following thru it:

100 rounds, Winchester FMJ
    100 rounds, Federal FMJ
    4 rounds Winchester SXT hollow points - old stuff that was lying around
    20 rounds Hornady Critical Defense 115gr

I started out running each magazine 1 round shy of capacity. At the end I was filling them up, and even going +1 in the chamber.

Everything worked flawlessly. Not a single issue with any of the ammo. Also did some one-handed shooting both strong hand and weak hand. My wife shot several magazines thru it, as did my 12 year old son.

Very happy so far! Still considering some other holster options for IWB carry, but not certain yet...

Steve

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The PPS has been around long enough to get the bugs out. It is a reliable choice, and a good, accurate single stack 9. Congrats and enjoy!

I hear lots of positive reviews for the pps. Been meaning to try it out at the range too.

PPS is the Cadillac of single stack 9mm's. Good choice.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I have a PPS and I carry IWB using a crossbreed super tuck. Great gun and great holster. Highly recommend the CB holster.

VIP Member
    PPS is a great gun. I've had mine since 2008.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Congrats on a great choice. I’ve had mine since NOV and have put 1500 rds through it so far. It just keeps getting better.

I carry mine in an MTAC Minotaur and with the 6rd magazine it just about disappears.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    PPS is the Cadillac of single stack 9mm's. Good choice.
    Can you (or anybody) compare it with the Kahr series? Particularly the P9 or PM9?

I now have well over 3,000 rounds through my PPS, all flawless. A curious thing. I compete with an S&W M&P 9, complete with Apex trigger, Trijicons etc. At up to 15 yards, the PPS shoots virtually as well as my M&P. (Although you could conclude I guess that I shoot both equally poorly.) I love the PPS. As to IWB holsters, I played with a few, and found the best for me is the FIST Ultra Thin.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I can't comment on the Kahr's other than they were on my short list, but I could not find anywhere local to rent one or try it out. I had been researching and agonizing about the decision of what to buy for carry, and when we rented the PPS (and SR9C at the same time), it chose itself. My wife will likely end up with one as well unless we try something better. I am not sure if it is the ultimate or final choice, but we both shot it very well the first time we picked it up, it feels good, and it is super narrow. So, it will certainly do for quite some time.

I just need to find the right holster, and probably get some night sights for it, and I will be immensely happy!

Quote Originally Posted by DocProton View Post
    I have a PPS and I carry IWB using a crossbreed super tuck. Great gun and great holster. Highly recommend the CB holster.
    I have exact same set-up...excellent and it is "the Cadillac of single stack nines"!! Mine is absolutely flawless from day one (2009), best concealment combo (IMHO), I cant recommend more highly!

I have had mine since October and carry daily. It is one accurate pistol for it's size with little recoil.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I just picked one up on Feb 14. Took it to the range and put 175 flawless rounds through it. Good gun, great carry! I'm spending this week end fabricating a leather holster for it. Congrats, and continued good luck with yours!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Ive carried a PPS9 in a CompTac for about three years now. Great combo. Very easy to carry. Very easy to conceal. Never any issueswith the pistol thatI didnt cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout86 View Post
    Ive carried a PPS9 in a CompTac for about three years now. Great combo. Very easy to carry. Very easy to conceal. Never any issueswith the pistol thatI didnt cause.
    What kind of issues did you cause? Are you talking about limp wristing malfunctions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links