a little advice please?

This is a discussion on a little advice please? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at purchasing my first handgun within the next week or two, and have been doing some research. My budget is between $350.00 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: a little advice please?

a little advice please?

I am looking at purchasing my first handgun within the next week or two, and have been doing some research. My budget is between $350.00 and $450.00. Currently I have found two options.

Ruger RS40 for $442.00 or the Sig Sauer sp2022 with laser sight for $376.00. (after tax prices for both)
    Does anyone on here have any experience with either one or hopefully both? Having just held them in the store, I like the Ruger more, but the not sure if I like it $76.00 more. I am also looking into the Taurus 24/7 G2, but haven't been able to get hands one with one to see if I like the feel or not.

If someone has another suggestion that they think is a better gun in this price range I would be more than willing to listen. I am looking for a full sized gun with safety features due to having 2 small children in the house.

Thank You,

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    The Sig 2022 is one of the better firearms deals going right now; grab that one up. I've heard mixed reviews on the Ruger, but never spent much time with one. Taurus has hit or miss quality and terrible customer service if something does go wrong, best to skip their line of firearms.
    oneshot likes this.

Are you going to carry them? If i were purchasing i would be getting the ruger sr40 and if i were carrying i would opt for the sr40c version. There are lots of options for that price. As far as the safeties go, i would not get wrapped up in them so much as to make them a deal breaker. When firearms are in a home with children, it is YOUR responsibility to ensure the weapon is out of reach of children and to where they cannot operate the firearm, i.e. safe, trigger lock, whatever you prefer. Anyone including children can figure out how to operate a manual safety. I would look at all options in that price range. Glocks, S&W M&P's, Sig P250, etc. Good luck!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Check out the Bersa line of firearms. Great guns at a great price. Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact (also comes in 40 and 45), BP9cc.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I cant comment on the two you mention but here is some alternatives. Check out kel tec great for a ccw and they are American made Low budget gun new. But you can probably find a used glock in that price range.

There are many things to consider besides price. To be proficient, you muct practice and practice and practice and the ammo may cost more than the gun in a year or so. If you don't care to be really proficient, then for sure don't carry it for defence because someone will get hurt ... probably you. As a first handgun I would recoment a .22 and really learn to shoot. After you are really good with the .22 then move up to something more substantial. Holsters alone are a complete subject matter. Maybe by the time you are really good with the .22 where you can zipper the target walking sideways then ask your question again. Some very wise self defence instructors say a Glock 19 Gen 3 will do everything you will ever want to do.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Check out the Bersa line of firearms. Great guns at a great price. Bersa Thunder 9 ultra compact (also comes in 40 and 45), BP9cc.
    Yes, forgot about Bersa. Excellent guns for the money.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Of the two you mentioned I would go with the Sig. Nothing against the Ruger (I like Rugers) but I think that the Sig is a better deal. Taurus has a lot of "haters" but I have a couple that have been fine. I have a 24/7 but it is not the newer model. Great range gun and home defense gun but not a carry gun. Find what fits your hand the best and be happy with your purchase. The first one will not be your last.

If you are looking for concealed carry also check into the Kahr CM9 or CW9 and the Smith&Wesson M&P compacts, both would serve your needs and are American made.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Another vote for the Bersa. The Tunder 40 UC is my daily carry. Also have the BT380. Like BugDude said, great guns at a great price. They also have a key lock if you're concerned about kids around.
    If you can read, thank a teacher. If you can read in English, thank a veteran.

Welcome to the DC Forum from Delaware! Of the two choices given, I'd go with the Sig. Are you a traveling man?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I would go with Sig. Personal preference. Are you experienced with shooting or is it just your first gun? If not experienced (or if) get yourself a good .22. Mark II or III or Beretta Neos can be had cheap and you will save money in the long run at the range using cheap LR ammo.

SIG. Of the other choices in that price range, there is no comparison.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

It's hard to give advise without really knowing what the purpose of the gun is. Is the SIG also a .40 cal, or the 9mm? If it's the 9mm it will be cheaper to shoot than the .40 cal. I'd also recommend looking at the Bersa line of guns as well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    There are a lot of good ones to pick from but have you thought about going to a range where you can rent weapons and see what ones feel good in your hand then make your choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links