Considering buying a Taurus PT740 Slim -- Thoughts/Experiences with this GUN?

This is a discussion on Considering buying a Taurus PT740 Slim -- Thoughts/Experiences with this GUN? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, I was given an XD40 subcompact as a birthday present. I love it, but it's a bit big for carry. It's also a ...

Thread: Considering buying a Taurus PT740 Slim -- Thoughts/Experiences with this GUN?

Considering buying a Taurus PT740 Slim -- Thoughts/Experiences with this GUN?

Hey guys,

I was given an XD40 subcompact as a birthday present. I love it, but it's a bit big for carry. It's also a bit of a family heirloom, so it's not going anywhere (no trade ins or selling it). I am sold on the .40 SW round though for self-defense, so I'm on the hunt for a more concealable .40 (since I stockpiled 400 Federal HST rounds lol). Saw the PT740 Slim (in Stainless/Black) today at a LGS. Felt good in hand, like the smaller size (compared to the XD40sc), seems like with a good IWB it'd be fairly easy to conceal.

I have questions regarding firing it though. First, how's the trigger pull? I have shot a buddy's LC9, and I've heard it compared to that gun, trigger-wise. Is that about accurate? Second, how's the recoil? I love the .40 round, but I'm worried that .40 might be a bit much for a gun only weighing 19 oz (compared to 27 for my XD). So please, if you own/have shot one, please let me know your thoughts.

I know Taurus has a checkered past with quality and service, but I'm going to take a flyer on those. Please, just opinoins on the weapon :)

Thanks, guys !!!

2. Remove Ads

It's definitely going to be jumpy compared to the XD. The trigger isn't bad, nothing like the LC9 in my opinion; the LC9 is a long double action pull which I like (and own).
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Quote Originally Posted by Takedown View Post
    It's definitely going to be jumpy compared to the XD. The trigger isn't bad, nothing like the LC9 in my opinion; the LC9 is a long double action pull which I like (and own).
    I had an LC9, and sold it because I just could not master the trigger, even with 300-400 rounds through it. Would you say the PT740 pull is longer than the LC9's or shorter? And would you say it's harder, or softer? I can't find one to rent, and for me, a good trigger is a HUGE part of a carry weapon.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I've got the 709 and it functions flawlessly (500rds so far)
    Trigger pull is a bit long DA but its ok at the range SA is fine its a tad snappy .40 cal would be a bit more but if you practice with it, you won't have any isssues

I have a 740 and had the 709 they both have good single action triggers. If I were you I would try out a 740 before you buy one, the recoil is quite stout. All my Taurus have been very reliable. PT145, 740, 709, 85, 2 605s and a 431

John

I have 750-800 rounds through my PT740. I recently noticed a crack in the recoil spring assembly. Called Taurus and they're going to send me a new spring and an extra. They've been back ordered for a month now and I was told they should ship the first week of March. Up until the spring crack I shot the gun regularly. Its on the snappy side but it's a great gun to shoot

Sponsor
    I don't have the 740 but the 709 trigger is a completely different animal than the LC9. It's not what I would call a DA striker. It's more a single action with double strike capability. The pull is a bit long but very light to the break.

This is the one problem that I have with it, and I sometimes have a hard time articulating it so bear with me:

The break point is very close to the front strap. IE, the distance from the rear of the grip to the trigger at break is too sort for me. I feel like I have to curl my trigger finger back into to my palm to fire it. It's just awkward for me.

Other than that, I love the little pea shooter.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Links