Look what I bought yesterday! (kind of a review)

This is a discussion on Look what I bought yesterday! (kind of a review) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good post and well appreciated too....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Look what I bought yesterday! (kind of a review)

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Good post and well appreciated too.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Nice review. I bought my LC9 3 months ago and have shot 500+ flawless rounds. I recently added a Lasermax and a Hogue Jr. grip. Both were nice additions.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks for the review, enjoy your new gun

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm headed to the range again tomorrow or the day after, if y'all want I can take some range pictures (groups at difference distances, that sort of thing)! Maybe a picture or video of myself firing it, if y'all promise to critique my stance/grip :)

I also plan on reviewing my FNX-9 here pretty soon when I have the time to get around to it. Take care!
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

It really is a great gun. Lead-nosed hollowpoints, jacketed hollowpoints, range ammo, it just eats everything and fires every time. Ejects away from you, easy to break down and clean, and oh-so-comfortable to carry.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    It really is a great gun. Lead-nosed hollowpoints, jacketed hollowpoints, range ammo, it just eats everything and fires every time. Ejects away from you, easy to break down and clean, and oh-so-comfortable to carry.
    Nice pic! I agree totally. My main reason for purchasing was that it just felt great in my hands. It's small for sure, but big enough that I can really get some good contact all the way around with my hands, super easy for me to control, even with +P rounds. It's rounded enough too that IWB I can barely tell it's there. No need to adjust constantly and the holster is snug enough that I don't have to worry about the gun shifting or going anywhere.

Thanks for the review. I am looking for a smaller summer carry gun and have been going all around between the G26/27, SP101, LC9, etc. Hope it works for you and thanks for the review, I will give it a crack!

Quote Originally Posted by qdoggydogg View Post
    Thanks for the review. I am looking for a smaller summer carry gun and have been going all around between the G26/27, SP101, LC9, etc. Hope it works for you and thanks for the review, I will give it a crack!
    Thanks! If your one of your bigger concerns is concealability/comfort, you could go a step further and wear some summer-ish clothes to the store and try on the different guns in different holsters. Not sure about other stores, but most of the gun shops in my area are real good about letting you experiment with different holsters.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention, the mag that came with it had the spring in backwards, so it would only hold six rounds. After buying a couple extra mags I figured it out and flipped the spring and now it works fine!

VIP Member
    I like mine. I don't mind the safeties that much. The mag safety kinda sucks but I plan on keeping it. The other safety is fine you don't have to use it. It is a fine 9MM that you can conceal anywhere. I got a leather pocket holster that makes it look like a wallet thru your pants or thin coat. But it is not that fast of a draw. The little red chamber indication bar is also fine, does not get in the way. You would think it would but does not.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I like mine. I don't mind the safeties that much. The mag safety kinda sucks but I plan on keeping it. The other safety is fine you don't have to use it. It is a fine 9MM that you can conceal anywhere. I got a leather pocket holster that makes it look like a wallet thru your pants or thin coat. But it is not that fast of a draw. The little red chamber indication bar is also fine, does not get in the way. You would think it would but does not.
    I agree on the safeties after having more time carrying with it. I forget it even has a thumb safety because I never use it, and that mag safety kinda stinks, but honestly I don't feel like taking the time to remove it. The chamber indicator is rather unsightly IMO, but it doesn't catch on anything or cause any issues. I just love how concealable this gun is. I've found my self carrying appendix-style, and even some of my tighter fitting t-shirts do plenty to conceal it.

A nice little review.

I had a problem with mine pretty quickly. It ended up going back to Ruger three days after I got it, with only 200 rounds through it. They replaced the pin, hammer spring,...well, a bunch of stuff.

Turnaround time was pretty quick, and I've put a little over 300 rounds trouble-free downrange.

It's a dream to carry, and I think I'm going to like it a lot. As for the safety stuff, it's what you get used to I guess. Doesn't bother me.

Congrats on your new LC9!

I don't understand why some make such a big deal about the thumb safety. Its easy enough to disengage with your thumb, but engaging it is difficult and wont happen by accident. Just leave the safety off and don't use it if it bothers you. I personally like the thumb safety. Besides making me feel better about carrying it AIWB pointed at my junk, if it was ever wrestled away from me the mag and thumb safeties may just save my life.
    Last edited by Chesafreak; March 2nd, 2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
    Congrats on your new LC9!

I don't understand why some make such a big deal about the thumb safety. Its easy enough to disengage with your thumb, but engaging it is difficult and wont happen by accident. Just leave the safety off and don't use it if it bothers you. I personally like the thumb safety. Besides making me feel better about carrying it AIWB pointed at my junk, if it was ever wrestled away from me the mag and thumb safeties may just save my life.
    I never thought about that! Obviously the LAST thing I would EVER want to happen is for someone to get ahold of my gun. But say I was wrestling with someone over it, maybe quickly releasing the mag could be life saver. Or maybe you release the mag and they don't get ahold of it, and then they start stabbing you. So many variables.

Because I have big hands and the LC9 is small, I found that I get great accuracy by placing the middle pad of my finger on the trigger. In the picture, once I moved from the end pad of my finger to the middle pad, my groups shrank from 6 to 8 inches, down to one ragged hole.

2012-02-07 12.43.57.jpg
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links