Look what I bought yesterday! (kind of a review)

This is a discussion on Look what I bought yesterday! (kind of a review) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, as all impulsive financial decisions are made, this one was made... Well, impulsively. But I am very excited! lc9real.jpg The Ruger LC9! A nice, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Look what I bought yesterday! (kind of a review)

Well, as all impulsive financial decisions are made, this one was made... Well, impulsively. But I am very excited!

lc9real.jpg

The Ruger LC9! A nice, tiny, double-action only, 7+1, 9mm pistol!

I went to the range today with the intention of using up some free range time I had from an earlier purchase, and to maybe do a little window-shopping (or should I say "glass counter shopping"). Well, turns out there was a 2 hour long wait for the range, so I decided I would at least look at some guns. Now, I've been thinking a lot about smaller guns lately; how I'm probably going to need one when Spring starts to come around, how my LCP "just won't do" in terms of my logic, how I would at least like a 9mm gun that I can conceal easier than my FNX-9, and a whole host of other attempts at convincing myself it's time to buy a new gun.

So, without hesitation, I went up to the counter and had the guy pull out an M&P compact 9mm, a Glock 26, a Keltec PF9, and a Ruger LC9. I took a look at the M&P. It felt great in my hands, but it wasn't quite as small as I was looking for. The Glock 26 looked great, and I've always been a Glock fan, but the price was a little steep. The Keltec was by far the cheapeast, but it also felt the cheapest. Then I picked up the LC9.

It felt great in my hand, the trigger pull felt wonderful, and look at this! It was cheaper than the rest except for the Keltec. It was also the thinnest and most rounded of the Glock and S&W. I was able to dry-fire it quickly through that DA trigger pull without my front sight wobbling all over the place. Everything felt right about it (including the price), so I just went for it.

Took it to the range immediately after, and I wasn't able to get pictures there, but I shot nice, tight groups with it at 7 yards, and that was good enough for me. I shot about 100 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124g +P through it, and about 200 rounds of Wally World Federal 115g. Limp-wristed, weak-hand limp-wristed it, held it sideways like a gangsta, barely held onto it at all -- I simply could not get a malfunction to occur. I went ahead and bought an extra magazine for it (it only came with one), and an IWB holster made by Tagua Gunleather (originally made for a PF9, but fit like a charm). So, I'm not gun-reviewing expert, but I do LOVE to ramble, so I'm going to close this off with a Pros vs. Cons list.

Pros:

- Lightweight. Some may disagree comparing to other guns, but the important thing is for me it feels lightweight, yet just heavy enough that it feels sturdy.

- 9mm. 'Nuff said?

- Small! I can conceal the entire gun with one hand (though I do have big hands).

Cons:

- 7+1 capacity. I realize you can't expect too much more out of a single-stack magazine, and that's partially what allows the gun to be so thin, but with 7 rounds I don't feel like it's a huge step up from a decent revolver. However, I am slow when it comes to loading a revolver, and maniacally fast when it comes to changing magazines.

- Front sight post. It's a little taller (at least it appears to be) than the rear sights, and it took a little getting used to.

- Safety. It's really just kind of an awkward safety. I didn't plan on using it anyway, except for maybe pocket carry (even then I don't plan on carrying that way). But it engages/disengages at the rear of the notch, which for me is unconventional. Also, because I have large hands, I really have to pull my thumb back pretty uncomfortably to reach it, and that compromises my grip on the weapon, so practicing with the safety using draw and fire is kind of out of the question.

- Not ambidextrous. This is simply a gun made for right handed shooters. I AM a right handed shooter, but I try to plan for every possible scenario, and if I ever had to shoot defensively with my left hand (if my right hand is out of commission, for example), not only would the safety be a problem, but even more-so would changing a magazine be worrisome.

- Take-down. Field stripping this thing is neither quick, nor simple, nor can it really be done with one hand. It's certainly not a deal-breaker for me, but it is worth noting. To take the gun down you have to insert a special tool (or a small, long object into the right side, line up the slide with this little bolt, move this little notch down, and push the bolt completely out. That's one thing I love about my FNX-9, even though it's a completely unfair comparison, the take-down is so simple that I can do it one handed if necessary and with incredible speed.

- Doesn't fire without magazine. Again, not a deal-breaker, but, like I said, I try to plan on everything in a defensive scenario. What if I drop a mag for some reason with a round in the chamber, and I need that round? Gun ain't gonna fire.

So, that's about it. I realize that's quite a bit of rambling, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to share. The list of cons is obviously longer than the list of Pros, but at least for my own, personal needs in a concealed carry weapon, the pros simply outweigh the cons. Like I said, I'm no expert by any means, so take everything I said here with a grain of salt.

P.S. The gun feels like it isn't there when carried IWB at 4 o'clock, and I can carry it with a t-shirt on or a button up shirt, etc. and not have to worry about printing! This is definitely going to be my summer carry gun. :)
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

VIP Member
    So, I'm not gun-reviewing expert, but I do LOVE to ramble, so I'm going to close this off with a Pros vs. Cons list.
    Not rambling but a nice range report.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Very thorough, I like the write-up.

The thumb safety is the only thing deterring me from getting a LC9 myself. They should have done the same thing as the LCP and just went with a DAO trigger.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    Very thorough, I like the write-up.

The thumb safety is the only thing deterring me from getting a LC9 myself. They should have done the same thing as the LCP and just went with a DAO trigger.
    +1 The thumb safety keeps me from buying one. I'm a lefty.
    Question Everything!

Thanks for the review! I looked at the Ruger LC9 when I purchased my SP101 a couple weeks ago. I'm a revolver guy, but I'm certainly considering the LC9 for my next purchase. The drawbacks you mentioned likely won't effect my decision much, they aren't anything that I can't handle.

Thanks for the review. Im thinking of that exact gun for my summer carry tool box. Also the kel-tec and the taurus slim. Outta those three I really likes the slim and ruger The pf9 is appealing for the price. But ive seen the other two on sale in my area for right around $300. So It will be down to the slim and the lc9 wich ever I can get the best deal on. As I will be buying an xdm 3.8 for home defence and to shoot at our gun club. Enjoy your new pistol.

A fair and objective review...thanks for the post!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great review!

Sponsor
    Great review and it just proves that every gun can be something different to everybody. I wanted to love the LC9 but just couldn't do it. I went with the PPS and love it. It is quite a bit more $ than the Ruger but worth it for me.

I recently picked up a Bersa BP9CC for my Son and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a more reasonably priced single stack 9mm.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I have a LC9 great weapon
    If you do not like the MAG safety it is easy to remove. Your going to see more and more Mag safeties sign of the times

Well done!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Nice pistol, good report. The LC9 looks to be a good platform for ccw.

VIP Member
    Great review...I'm checking my bank balance as we speak.

"Honey, it's for the class."
    tactilame likes this.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I have a LC9 great weapon
    If you do not like the MAG safety it is easy to remove. Your going to see more and more Mag safeties sign of the times
    I kind of wonder what the reasoning is behind the mag safety. My guess is that it's there in case someone unfamiliar with guns gets ahold of it making that classic ("no magazine so it must be unloaded!") mistake. Thanks for the tip though, I'll look into removing it!
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies." -Lewis Grizzard

DC
    I enjoyed reading, thanks. I've been considering this 9mm in my quest to find a pocket carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links