Ccw revolvers

This is a discussion on Ccw revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking at purchasing a revolver soon it would be for a ccw. I'm not that familiar with revolvers to much I was wondering what ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ccw revolvers

Ccw revolvers

I'm looking at purchasing a revolver soon it would be for a ccw. I'm not that familiar with revolvers to much I was wondering what are some popular models. I know it's all about feel and what I like but if I can narrow down the search before I start that would be great.

2. Remove Ads

Narrow it right down to a Ruger SP101 in .357 (2" or 3"...I prefer 3")
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    Your town is going to be a bit busy next Sunday?

I'm in Gainesville...Go Gators!
    johnbergsing and DanielC like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My next purchase is going to be Ruger LCR

I picked up a Ruger SP101 2 1/4" .357 a couple weeks ago. Easily concealed and will last a lifetime. I'm one of many who will likely recommend an SP101.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Stick with Ruger or S&W if you are buying new. My first criteria for a carry revolver would be no external hammer DAO to stay with the KISS principal.

FWIW I own a Ruger LCR .357.

VIP Member
    I like the Smiths I often carry the 638 (shrouded hammer) airweight. 38 spec. I sometimes carry My Smith Govener (45 colt or 410 shot shells) It is pretty large for carry but I like it for hikes.
    I like revolvers with the hammer so you can shoot sa or da. I am not a fan of dao but I will admit that I own one or two of them.

030.jpg007.jpg Basically the Smith J frames and Ruger SP101 are the best. I just got back from the range and fired 300 rounds thru two J frames and one SP101. Had a ball ! Some complain about the recoil but I have never had one complaint and love the nice tight blown out circle in the chest and nose (of head) of my targets after a range session. Regular practice makes perfect. Good luck on your search for your perfect pistola.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Your town is going to be a bit busy next Sunday?

I'm in Gainesville...Go Gators!

It's already busy after the race then it's bike week after that is spring break on top of all that the snowbirds you got to at least leave 20 mins early to go anywhere but the town needs it a lot of shops closing up. Sorry to tell you GO DAWGS :) originally a Georgia boy

S&W 642 in a Kramer pocket holster. Excellent carry revolver.

As others have stated Ruger SP101 or one of the S&W
    You need to figure out a few things . Do you want a an exposed hammer or not and what caliber do you want. While my bias is toward Ruger and they are my go to weapon S&W is the standard to be judged by. If your looking for a smaller one S&W Bodyguard 38SP. factory lasermax installed sells for 439 to 484,
    38 BodyGuard.JPG

My favorite ccw revolver is my 638 S&W. IMO it has the best of both worlds when it comes to revolver carry... The hammer is snag-proof so no worries there, also It can be used as DAO, or SA, although you probably wouldn't want to use it in SA mode during an altercation, from some of the reading I've done in the past.

The LCR is my next favorite carry revolver, but it's a bit larger than my smiths, but the trigger, is one of the best I've seen right outa the box... I had to have a trigger job done on my 638 to get something close to the trigger of my LCR.. Since I had the trigger job work done though, my LCR gets little attention. Still shoot it here and there, but my Smiths just have that feel of quality, combined with the reputation of S&W makes for a pretty confident carry revolver.

I'd say that any of these would be an excellent first carry revolver. S&W 642, 638, 637, 442 plenty more to choose from but the others are for the most part higher in price...

Outa the Ruger line up, LCR, SP101. Again plenty more out there, but these are some really good offerings and any of um would be perfect as a first revolver. All of um are reasonably priced, so they won't break the bank either...
    marcclarke likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

For pocket carry, the airweight j-frames are hard to beat. I use a 442 in that role.

For everything else, a Ruger SP101 works for me. Small enough to hide well, but heavy enough to shoot .357 well.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    I like the Smiths I often carry the 638 (shrouded hammer) airweight. 38 spec.
    Possibly the top snubbie in production. The SP101 is highly regarded and I'd recommend it if you're going for full-house .357s. If .38+P works for you, then the 638 gets a nod because it's lighter.
    marcclarke likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Ex Member
    I own a 'few' and this is what I carry. A S&W Model 38 Airweight. The Ruger is a good gun BUT weighs almost twice what a Bodyguard Airweight does, and is physically a lot bigger. For the house, or car, yes, a Ruger is hard to beat BUT for pocket carry no way.

gasmitty likes this.

Smith & Wesson Model 337 with alloy frame and Titanium Cylinder.
    This 5 shot .38 Special has a 1 7/8" Barrel and weighs 10.7 ounces.
    As far as I know this is the lightest 38 Smith made. My wife purchased
    one for my birthday several years ago,,,, and I have carried it since.

Check out previous posts may help you decide

Lcr, 642, 442???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links