Optons for a Compact 1911?

This is a discussion on Optons for a Compact 1911? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forum and hoped you might be able to offer some guidance. I'm thinking about going back to a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pogo2

Thread: Optons for a Compact 1911?

Hi everyone, I'm brand new to the forum and hoped you might be able to offer some guidance. I'm thinking about going back to a .45 as my carry gun (currently carrying a G19) and have been looking at options. I'm strongly considering the M&P 45c and the XDm compact. I got to thinking though - I've always loved 1911's but I've never carried one and maybe I'd like to give it a shot. I'm not too familiar with all the options out there and thought I'd try to get some ideas. I'm looking for a 3" barrel, and if possible, I'd like a bobtail grip (I've fallen head over heels for the bobtail on my VBOB). The only gun meeting those criteria that I've seen is the Kimber Super Carry, which is a little pricy, and I've never been much of a Kimber fan.

Anyone know of some good options I might consider?

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

If you're considering the M&P or the XDm, why not just carry your V-Bob? Barrel is only about .25" longer and it's already bobbed like you want. Don't think you'll find anything much better for your needs, especially in the price range of the 2 guns mentioned.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

You listed them the Springfield XD and the M&P are both outstanding options for a compact 45

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Big Kimber 1911 fan and owner of two. One of them is my edc. I carry the Ultra Covert II and love it.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Considering that it's the grip length rather than barrel length that's usually the driver for concealability, I'd try to find the 'CCO' model which has been put out by Colt and others over the years. Fundamentally a Commander-length slide (4") on an Officers Model frame.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

los
    Look at the RIA tactical compact.

It offers a lot of high-end extras without the high price. You can find numerous [positive] reviews on the subject Piece, on this forum.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VIP Member
    I am a huge Kimber fan. I like the Super Carry Ultra for 3" I like the Covert II for 4" The Super Carry Ultra has a smaller mag and the butt is rounded a bit. Both are light alloy frames. Kimber steel frames shoot a bit better but are more weight to carry. Thousands of rounds with the Kimbers never any problem. However because the high cost of the Kimbers, I have decided to carry either my G-19 or G-30 Gen 3. If I have to use my weapon I understand I may never get it back so I would rather lose a $450.00 Glock than a $ 1,300 Kimber. I am working on my shooting now to make sure I can shoot the GLocks as well as the Kimbers. So far I am still better with the Kimbers. But I am comfortable with using the Glocks.

mkh
    Welcome.

Its a 4 inch barrel but I am picking up a Sig C3 in the next couple of weeks. Its basically a Commander size slide on an Officer size frame. Awesome gun with good reports and cheaper than the Kimbers. Plus I am a big Sig fan. I'm moving away from the plastic guns for my personal use but keeping them for my wife and kids in case the SHTF.

Like you, I want to get back to a 1911 for my EDC. Good luck ad let us know what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Welcome.

Its a 4 inch barrel but I am picking up a Sig C3 in the next couple of weeks. Its basically a Commander size slide on an Officer size frame. Awesome gun with good reports and cheaper than the Kimbers. Plus I am a big Sig fan. I'm moving away from the plastic guns for my personal use but keeping them for my wife and kids in case the SHTF.

Like you, I want to get back to a 1911 for my EDC. Good luck ad let us know what you decide.

Same here mkh. I like the officers frame height and the 4.25 length. Should be alot of gun for the money!!

Colt Defender

I've had good luck with a Colt Defender I got 5 years ago. It has a 3 inch barrel, weighs about 24 ounces empty, and takes 7 round magazines. It conceals very well because of the short grip and thin profile. The trigger feel is excellent, and the gun is quite accurate.

Troll1 likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I know it's not technically a '1911', but I love my little AMT .45 'Backup'. I just wish it was lighter (24 oz empty).

Handy pocket pistol comparison chart:
    http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    You can't bobtail an Officer-length grip, since the bobtail operation on Government- and Commander-length guns involves modifying the MSH by installing an Officer-length mainspring and chopping the extra space. An Officer-length grip is already using the shortest mainspring possible and has no extra room to bobtail. Some nicer Officer-size guns have butts that are nicely rounded. The Kimber Super Carry Pro HD and Super Carry Ultra HD are two from Kimber. Dan Wesson's CCO and the upcoming ECO both have Officer-length frames and round butt treatments.

Other than those guns, you'd need a custom smith job.
    Hakkaa päälle!

+1 for the Sig C3. It is my EDC. IMO, perfect combination of the Commander barrel w/short grip. Conceals perfectly for me.

I often CC with my Kimber Ultra CDP II and really like the way that it easily conceals. It's a fantastic gun.

Links