Lasers on SD hanguns: Sighting, parallax, ways to deal with it - video.

This is a discussion on Lasers on SD hanguns: Sighting, parallax, ways to deal with it - video. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is NOT about how to turn the screws to align a laser, but rather the two ways lasers can be sighted - parallel or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lasers on SD hanguns: Sighting, parallax, ways to deal with it - video.

Senior Moderator

This is NOT about how to turn the screws to align a laser, but rather the two ways lasers can be sighted - parallel or converged.

I used a TLR-2 laser light combo because it would better emphasize the effect of parallax. Lasers that are located relatively close to the bore, e.g. guide rod lasers and grip lasers, would probably be best aligned as a parallel sight.

Clamp on lasers like the TLR-2 and X400 and several others might be best aligned as a converged sight. Two clamp on light/laser combos that locate the laser pretty close to the bore are the Viridian C5L and X5L. They're not quite as close as the guide rod and grip lasers, but much, much closer than most clamp-on combos.

Another laser that's close to the bore is the LaserMax Unimax. Anyway, FWIW....

HotGuns and QKShooter like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Excellent video! But I have one question. You addressed the parallax in regards to elevation, how about the same parallax in regards to windage? After all grip lasers are along side and below the centerline of the bore.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    Excellent video! But I have one question. You addressed the parallax in regards to elevation, how about the same parallax in regards to windage? After all grip lasers are along side and below the centerline of the bore.
    Thanks Bubba - that's encouraging to hear.

Good point about windage parallax. The video was getting so long dropped the windage parallax. I guess I hoped that it would be understood that the same principles would apply to windage. Now, I'm having second thoughts about that.

Grip lasers are so close to the bore center line the parallax is minimal and can almost be neglected. But, now you've got me thinking...

Question guys, since we are on the topic of lasers. I just bought a Lasermax for my LC9. The elevation should be set so the laser point is visible right above the front sight, correct? Also, should I be lining up the sights on my gun with the laser or just point and shoot? I have been practicing with and without the laser.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Question guys, since we are on the topic of lasers. I just bought a Lasermax for my LC9. The elevation should be set so the laser point is visible right above the front sight, correct? Also, should I be lining up the sights on my gun with the laser or just point and shoot? I have been practicing with and without the laser.
    What kind of laser? Guide rod, clamp-on? Once we have that established we can talk.

As for the other point and shoot vs laser, that's out of the scope of this thread. It would be a hotly debated subject and I kinda don't want another thread run-away like some have turned out. Even if you started a thread on that subject, it'd be like 9mm vs .45 debate - never ending, never resolved.

Senior Moderator
    ....You addressed the parallax in regards to elevation, how about the same parallax in regards to windage? After all grip lasers are along side and below the centerline of the bore.
    After giving this some thought, I think what I'll do is do a similar video with a CT grip laser and focus on windage.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Thanks Bubba - that's encouraging to hear.

Good point about windage parallax. The video was getting so long dropped the windage parallax. I guess I hoped that it would be understood that the same principles would apply to windage. Now, I'm having second thoughts about that.

Grip lasers are so close to the bore center line the parallax is minimal and can almost be neglected. But, now you've got me thinking...
    You did such a good job on the first video I thought I'd give you another reason to expand your round count.

Senior Moderator
    You did such a good job on the first video I thought I'd give you another reason to expand your round count.
    I do need to shoot more don't I? I mean I really have no choice now. Where's that Sig 226 with the CTs....And is it tomorrow yet!!!!

And again, thanks for the kind words on the video!

RKM
    Any lasers I've used, I stand 7 yards from a wall in my house and line it up with the sights on the pistol and go with it. My intention isn't bullseye accuracy, but a visual aid when point shooting. I've never put much thought into it. Under stress, you're not going to make a pin point accurate shot anyway. If my laser dot is 1" for POI, I don't care. All I want is help with point shooting. I have a TLR-2 on my USP, but I mostly felt I "needed" laser when carrying my pocket guns. I had a CTC on my MK40 when I had it and my P3AT when I had it. Now I have a bone stock J-frame. I'd like to eventually get a CTC for it. I think they're very good at help with point shooting 7 yards an under, and that's I feel as if they're intended for. If I for some crazy reason needed to shoot a BG at further than 25 yards (where the laser would be far off POI), I'd have time to use the sights.

Senior Moderator
    Then you don't need to give any thought to accuracy or parallax from a laser. But others, such as myself, will want all the accuracy we can get. I'll eventually converge align my laser to 15 yards. With a grip laser, guide rod laser or Viridian C5L, that should be really close out to 30 yards and more.

And a very accurately aligned laser is no slower than a less accurate one.

I have three laser equipped handguns. They were fairly on the target when I got them. Parallax error is not a big issue unless you are at a further distance. I set mine for within 25 meters. Beyond that, at night, I find it hard to clearly identify the target. In the bright daylight, I use the regular sights since the laser can be hard to see.

Where I have seen a problem with parallax error is with tall sights above the barrel, as with the M16/M4. You can aim from behind cover and end out firing into your cover or something else in front of the muzzle.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    I have three laser equipped handguns. They were fairly on the target when I got them. Parallax error is not a big issue unless you are at a further distance.
    Maybe it's just me, but I think a laser with an offset of 2.5" just might be a problem at a lot of ranges if you're looking for placement.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieG59 View Post
    ...Where I have seen a problem with parallax error is with tall sights above the barrel, as with the M16/M4. You can aim from behind cover and end out firing into your cover or something else in front of the muzzle.
    Yep, that's kind of common in training from behind cover even with handguns. I've seen cover with bullet nicks all over the edge from that.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Great stuff, Tangle!

The SIRT training gun also provides an excellent demonstration of these concerns.

Senior Moderator
    Maybe a clarification about the thread so we don't get headed in the wrong direction. The thread is about characteristics of laser sights, especially parallax, and two ways to sight in a laser and the implications of each.

Notice in the video, I didn't mention anything about personal philosophy of when or how or if a laser sight should be used.

This is essentially info about laser sights so some can better understand laser sight characteristics.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Great stuff, Tangle!

The SIRT training gun also provides an excellent demonstration of these concerns.
    Thanks! And, I'll have to check out the SIRT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links