S&W 442 range report

S&W 442 range report

This is a discussion on S&W 442 range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took my new Smith & Wesson 442 out today to do some shooting. It is the current production standard 442 with the lock. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: S&W 442 range report

S&W 442 range report

I took my new Smith & Wesson 442 out today to do some shooting.

It is the current production standard 442 with the lock. I have not done any modifications to it but had done a lot of dry firing with A-Zoom snap caps.

The fit and finish is top notch. There are no machining marks anywhere and everything fits and functions perfectly. The trigger is heavy, (10+ pounds) but very smooth. I have a set of Wolff springs and wood grips on order, but it shoots just fine out of the box. I shot about 200 rounds out of it today and as is to be expected from a S&W revolver, functioning was 100%.
    I brought a wide variety of loads to try out.

Horanday Critical Defense 110 +P (my carry load)

Remington 130 gr FMJ

Winchester 125 gr JHP +P

Several different 158 gr LSWC +P s

The accuracy of this gun was surprising to me. This is not my first snub nose, I have owned 2 different Charter Arms (my mother still has one of them), an older 80s Rossi, and a Taurus 85. None were close to this one.

Here is a 5 shot group from 7 yards.

Here is a 5 shot group from 25 yards.

I even tried it out at 50 yards. I did not get a great group but could keep all five rounds on the 16 x 26 target back I was using.

The limiting factor is the minimal sights on the gun. With a better sight, I am sure the groups would be even better.

I did some penetration and expansion testing on the Federal 110 +P ammo.

The Federal penetrated 2 layers of denim and 3 one gallon water filled jugs, almost exiting the third jug.
    Here is the expanded bullet.

Worked just as advertised.
    Here is a video of one test and some point and two handed draw and fire drills at about 5-6 yards

ccman and Cory1022 like this.

I have a 442 as well, the trigger will really smooth up and lighten up a little with repeated dry firing. I added some checkered Eagle Secret Service Grips to spruce it up a bit.
    DSC00755.jpg

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Congrats , I recently got a no-lock 442 and mine is also very well made and finished for a low cost Smith.

And you are too modest , those are excellent groups from a DAO revolver.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

excellent report. I like the expansion photo. Looks like it works great.

That's some darn good point shooting in that video...

Now, add the Wilson Combat Custom-Tune Spring Kit S&W J-Frame
    Product #: 848526 spring kit to that thing and feel what that trigger is really capable of..
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

You definitely shoot it much better than I did! I bought a 442 new a few months back and it ended up having an overtorqued barrel.

I love mine. I now get why people love their j frames. Neat guns. I feel that it is a very natural pointer. I have slightly larger hands and it is still comfortable to handle and shoot. It is my bug and short trip gun. I am excited to see how the trigger improves with shooting, but it was crisp out of the box. You will love yours. It is one i plan on giving my kids, eventually.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    my EDC is a 442......cant go wrong

VIP Member
    A great choice for a ccw. Reliable, well made, and accurate, not to mention they are a classic. Nice post.

You have just purchased the most versatile carry gun you can buy. It can be carried in so many different manners (OWB, IWB, appendix, SOB, ankle, pocket), different manners of dress (suit, jeans, gym shorts, lounge pants, etc.), and with the various loads and grip options available it can be set-up to suit most anyone. You will find yourself carrying it so much you will wonder how you ever got along without it. I also found it to be very naturally accurate. I added an old set of Chief's Special wood grips to mine and a Wolff shooters pack spring set (removed the lock flag and polished up the contact points while I was in there) and it is now a perfect fit for me. Enjoy your new addition...oh, and you can't have just one. S&W j frames multiply.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

This post came at a great time! I'm getting close to taking a ccw class and shopping for a carry gun. I have my eyes on a new 642, LGS has it marked down to $399. Think I'm going Sat to make the purchase! :)

Nice shooting with a snubby! I carry a 1911 most of the time, but I have a S&W 642 that I carry in the summer when wearing tank tops and cargo shorts (which makes concealing a 5" 1911 a bit difficult.) I've owned a number of S&W revolvers in the past and still have a couple. I love the little 642 for concealed carry. I need to do quite a bit more practice with it though--my groups aren't quite as good as yours!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I have been carrying it for about 3 weeks, mostly pocket carry but also IWB, both in a Remora holster.
    It is so easy to slip into a pocket and shoots so well, it is becoming just about the only gun I carry anymore.
    I find that I just shoot better with a revolver. The only drawbacks are the five round capacity and slower reload speed.

VIP Member
    Nice report and great point shooting. Here is one of my BUGs to my 1911.
    11.4 oz 340PD-no lock 357.jpg
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by 303british View Post
    I have been carrying it for about 3 weeks, mostly pocket carry but also IWB, both in a Remora holster.
    It is so easy to slip into a pocket and shoots so well, it is becoming just about the only gun I carry anymore.
    I find that I just shoot better with a revolver. The only drawbacks are the five round capacity and slower reload speed.
    If you cannot "fix" a situation with 5 rounds, you are in trouble my man.... remember, a j frame is not a go to war gun, its a get off me and get to safety type of gun. Bunker
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links