Killer Combo

Killer Combo

This is a discussion on Killer Combo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just for fun, I wondered if you could only own/possess 3 guns what would you choose? This would be to cover all needs from defensive, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Killer Combo

Killer Combo

Just for fun, I wondered if you could only own/possess 3 guns what would you choose? This would be to cover all needs from defensive, hunting, survival, etc.

Budget for guns is a non-issue, whereas future access to ammo may be a consideration. My first thought is to have a pistol, shotgun and assault rifle. Whereas in a survival situation, I think that a .22LR would be very useful and economic to stock pile ammo.

My pick:
    .40 Springfield XD (my fav pistol, sorry Glock fanboys )
    .223/5.56 Bushmaster ACR
    Some type of over under .22LR/12ga combo. (Not much experience with these to choose yet)

Please share your picks or thoughts!
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

I read a work of fiction awhile back called "A Second After". It was about how things would be after an electromagnetic bomb burst where all electronic devices are fried and we are basically driven back to the days prior to electricity. It was a great read and my take on weapons was that a 22 rifle would be the thing to have because ammo is relatively plentiful and you could actually stockpile it now without breaking the bank.
    One of the other points in the book that kind of hit home with me was that a few months after the bomb exploded and people were trying to survive, many had guns but few had ammo.
    shooterX likes this.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

duty size .357 mag, 12 gauge, 30-06

I don't believe in .22's. Everybody and their mother will disagree with this, but I just don't see the point.

If the scenario was zombie apocalypse or combat, I would choose an ar type rifle and a double stack semi-auto pistol, but you could put me anywhere in North America with those three guns and I'd survive.

simple answer:
    a 9mm carry weapon of your choice...my next purchase is a m&p9c: low ammo weight low cost high availability and acceptable performance.
    a .556 AR-15: ammo availability and parts commonality trump all here in my book.
    a 12 ga shotgun preferably pump action: ammo availability along with versatility and the reliability of the pump action.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post

I don't believe in .22's. Everybody and their mother will disagree with this, but I just don't see the point.

If the scenario was zombie apocalypse or combat, I would choose an ar type rifle and a double stack semi-auto pistol, but you could put me anywhere in North America with those three guns and I'd survive.
    Your right, I disagree with you about the .22. I can store more than 50,000 rounds of .22 and not take up any space at all. If I had to bug out, 20,000 can come along for the ride. A ruger 10/22 with 10 mags should work. While you are running around looking for ammo, Ill just keep plugging away at who ever, or what ever.....

Guns to come along...

Ruger 10/22
    9mm
    Mossberg 12g.
    Possible 22lr handgun IE: SR22
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

A 9mm- I have a Glock 19 and plenty of ammo for personal defense. A Ruger 10/22 for small game. A 12 gauge for food gathering bigger game and personal defense. I do have an AR15 and it is valuable in my defense portfolio. However, to limit to three, my Shotgun (with slugs) would take about the same size game and I doubt I would need to defend a large area. So, I will just bury that somewhere in the perimeter.

My Glock 19, my AR-15 and my Mossy 12 guage.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

a pistol, rifle, shotgun.

I went with a .22 conversion on my AR and I have a 22 pistol with 5" barrel. I have ammo for all of the others, but the .22 would be an excellent round in a world gone to hell. I have several thousand .22 rounds that take up the same space as a couple hundred of anything else.

Glock-30
    Henry Rifle in .22mag
    12 ga. coach gun
    Badey likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

9mm Beretta
    12ga Mossberg
    FN SCAR 16
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

You do realise that a .22 can be used in place of many other rifles out to 100 yds,to bring small game to white tail deer,to even a man without alerting everyone within a mile radius that you just fired a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post

A Denel NTW-20, a Taurus Judge .410, and an AR-15

[flexes internet muscles]

More seriously, I like the Glock 20, a semi-auto 30-06, and a semi-auto .22lr rifle. And I still maintain that an ET apocalypse is one million times more likely than a zombie one. Well, not quite 'one million', but close enough for a hand-calculator
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Glock 19

Remington 870

Marlin Model 60
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    You do realise that a .22 can be used in place of many other rifles out to 100 yds,to bring small game to white tail deer,to even a man without alerting everyone within a mile radius that you just fired a shot.
    Bingo, I agree with your wisdom! I would look to the .22 for most hunting needs and to help minimize drawing attention to my location from others seeking to exploit my resources.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Rem 870 (may I please keep both my barrels - 18" w/rifle sights, and 26" multi-choke?) and Ruger 10/22 (my worked-over Sporter) for long guns. For a handgun, it's a tough choice between a 1911 in .45 or a .357 revolver... but I'd lean toward the revolver.

Rationale? Pretty simple, with versatility at the heart of my choices. The 870 is good for meat (birds to big game) and defense. The 10/22 needs little storage volume for lots of ammo, is recreational as well as a game-getter, and is a useful backup defensive tool. The 1911 is just a personal favorite, but the .357 shoots a wider range of ammo, from light .38s to heavy .357s.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links