M&P 9c Range Report

M&P 9c Range Report

This is a discussion on M&P 9c Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hit the range yesterday with my new M&P. I was only able to put 50 rounds through it. My range is super busy on weekends ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: M&P 9c Range Report

M&P 9c Range Report

Hit the range yesterday with my new M&P. I was only able to put 50 rounds through it. My range is super busy on weekends and limit range time to 30 minutes to allow the most people to get time. I was also shooting with my wife.

The 50 rounds went flawlessly. I shot this as well as I shoot my Sig (I am not great but it's a work in progress and improves each week).

I put the small back strap on and I feel this fits really nicely in my hand. Very comfortable.

Once question I did have that I hoped you folks could answer for me is centered around the slide release. When the magazine is empty and the slide is locked back, I can not click the slide release and have the slide come forward. When I was at the range and the magazine was full this worked as expected. I tried this multiple times and each time it fit this pattern. Is this normal? It seems different than other guns I have handled.

The worst part of the day was that my wife wanted to shoot it, previously was afraid of 9mm, and out shot me by a lot. She did awesome with it.

Oh well it will get better and I will be shooting twice more this week.

For you fellow M&P shooters, what SD round do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by bundy845 View Post
    Hit the range yesterday with my new M&P. I was only able to put 50 rounds through it. My range is super busy on weekends and limit range time to 30 minutes to allow the most people to get time. I was also shooting with my wife.

The 50 rounds went flawlessly. I shot this as well as I shoot my Sig (I am not great but it's a work in progress and improves each week).

I put the small back strap on and I feel this fits really nicely in my hand. Very comfortable.

Once question I did have that I hoped you folks could answer for me is centered around the slide release. When the magazine is empty and the slide is locked back, I can not click the slide release and have the slide come forward. When I was at the range and the magazine was full this worked as expected. I tried this multiple times and each time it fit this pattern. Is this normal? It seems different than other guns I have handled.

The worst part of the day was that my wife wanted to shoot it, previously was afraid of 9mm, and out shot me by a lot. She did awesome with it.

Oh well it will get better and I will be shooting twice more this week.

For you fellow M&P shooters, what SD round do you use?
    No worries with the slide release... When a full mag is inserted in the pistol the upward pressure of the first round resting under the slide aids in its release, with out a round in the mag or no mag in the pistol the new metal parts "slide release & slide itself" create a good bit of friction against each other... With use as the two surfaces become smoother, it will become easier to release the slide with the mag release either loaded or unloaded.. Congrats on the new M&P BTW, I love mine too.

If you can't wait for use to do its job, it's nothing that a little fine grit sandpaper cant fix.... I'd suggest to let it wear with use though. After a few range trips and dry fire practice mine is perfect.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Congratulations on the new MP9c, I picked up a new one myself Saturday at the gunshow. I am hoping to hit the range next Monday and I hope my first 50 rounds are flawless like yours, I am going to put 150-200 rounds of WWB 115gr and 20 rounds of Winchester Bonded PDX1 124 gr +p through it and if it goes off without a hitch it will be put in a rotation with my Kahr CM9 as a carry weapon. Good luck on your next range outing.

The M&P will serve you well. I've lost count of how many rounds I've put through my .40c. Several kinds of JHP and FMJ, different weights. Not a single failure to feed or fire. I trust mine with my life. The trigger on mine has smoothed out nicely with use. The slide release is intended to be stiff on an empty mag. If you rock the slide back just a tad and hit the release it'll lock forward, or if you insert a full mag it'll be easy enough to use with just your thumb.

I prefer Winchester Ranger in mine, but I wouldn't turn down most other high-quality JHP rounds.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I've had mine for nearly 2 years, fired over 2300 rounds through it now, all flawlessly. My 9c seems to love both Remmington Golden Sabre +P's or Corbon +P's. I want all the energy I can get out of a 9mm round for SD! And the fact that the M&P series is designed to handle the increased pressure of the +P rounds was definitely a selling point. The Corbon rounds have NEARLY as much energy as most .40 HP rounds! (I'm sure I'll get attacked for that... but look up the rounds for yourself). Congrats on your new gun, its a great shooter and a reliable SD tool.

OpJ

I bought mine back in October and have run 3,500 rounds through it as of yesterday. About 100 of those are the SD rounds that I use - Remington Golden Saber Bonded 124gr JHP +P. They run very smoothly:

9mm Duty Bonded Ammo For Sale - 124 gr +P JHP Remington Golden Saber Bonded 9mm Ammunition In Stock

The other 3,400 rounds have been the cheapo Federal 115gr FMJ from WalMart. I have had a total of 2 FTE's and they were early on. I am new to semi-auto pistols and I am fairly certain that those two problems were due to limp wristing. People complain about this ammo all the time and I have had virtually no issues with it. A testament to the reliability of the gun.

Enjoy your new gun,
    Doc

Edit: Forgot to mention about the slide release. Same on mine. That's just the way it's designed. A lot of people have mentioned this.

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking about an M&P 40c. I've already got a LC9 & want to move up a little.

VIP Member
    Congrats on the new gun. As far as the slide release, that is how the gun is designed to operate.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The more I read about the M&P9c the more I want one.

I love mine. Was thinking of adding a 40c, but the ammo price at the LGS made me change my mind.. primary reason anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    I love mine. Was thinking of adding a 40c, but the ammo price at the LGS made me change my mind.. primary reason anyway..
    You know... You can buy a complete .40 slide and slap it on your 9c frame... Buy a couple of .40 mags and you're good to go! I verified the PN's for the frames are the same for 9/.40/.357 frames... Been thinking about adding the .40 to my system as well.

OpJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post
    You know... You can buy a complete .40 slide and slap it on your 9c frame... Buy a couple of .40 mags and you're good to go! I verified the PN's for the frames are the same for 9/.40/.357 frames... Been thinking about adding the .40 to my system as well.

OpJ

Well that is pretty sweet. Would be a cheaper way to have all 3!

Quote Originally Posted by OperatorJ View Post

OpJ

Where can you buy the slides?

Hey congrats on the new M&P. I picked mine up 2 days ago and have not been able to get to the range yet. I picked this over everything thing else I tried in the concealed gun choices. Since my wife just bought her LC9 this little beauty was an obvious choice since it fit my hand like I was born with it. We both have are going to CHL class in 2 weeks and are itching to at least get familiar with our new firearms. The gun shop owner and class instructor gave me Speer Gold Dot 115 grain GDHP for SD rounds.

I have had and carry mine every day for over 2 years. About 8K rounds thru it. Trigger is sweet (was a little gritty at first but it smoothed out). It is extremely accurrate. I put a set of Ameriglo night sights on it (Green Front/Yellow Rears). Other than that it is bone stock and is carried in either a DeSantis OWB, IWB Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe or IWB in a Bernie Holster Concelamax Pro.

Shoot the snot out of it, it gets better as ya go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links