1911 shopping: A little overwhelmed

This is a discussion on 1911 shopping: A little overwhelmed within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm expecting a fairly decent tax return this year. I'm not expecting it buy a 1911 outright, but a good chunk of it will ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1911 shopping: A little overwhelmed

So I'm expecting a fairly decent tax return this year. I'm not expecting it buy a 1911 outright, but a good chunk of it will go towards my 1911 fund. I'm expecting to spend about $1000-1200 on one, knocking out a few makers like WC. I just can't justify dropping that kind of cash on something I don't really "need."

This will be a gun I will carry and entrust with my life. I'm fully expecting to spend some time with it working out any issues before carrying; I know they can be finicky with certain types of ammo etc., but in the end reliability is of utmost importance. I want something that I can depend on under stress should the need ever arise, God forbid. I'm leaning towards a series 70-style 1911, not needing the firing pin safety. I'm led to believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that they generally have cleaner, lighter triggers than series 80 guns, and that the "Swartz" firing pin safeties can cause reliability issues.

The look of the gun is also something of importance to me. I'm not looking for a 1911 because I want to completely replace my M&P .40c, I'm looking for one because I want one. Because I enjoy the history of the gun and because I think they just plain look good. I'm torn between something like the Kimber Eclipse Pro II and the Colt 21st Century Commander. I believe the Kimber uses the "Swartz" safety mechanism, so that might be a mark against it. I like the Kimber for the contrast between the bright, brushed finish and the dark accents. But I like the Colt for the classic GI look. I'm leaning towards the Colt at the moment, though it's definitely on the high end of my price range. I think in the end I'd be happier with something like it. It's a little more rugged looking and I'd be less worried about screwing up the finish.

I'm not looking to shoot competitions with a 1911. I shoot well enough to take care of business if need be, and I'm happy with that. I don't have to out-shoot my neighbor at the range. I don't need super-tight tolerances.

So the basics of what I'm looking for:

Price: $1000-1300 or below
    Series 70 preferred (unless someone convinces me otherwise)
    GI styling preferred
    4-4.5" barrel
    .45ACP
    Reliability is more important than tight groups at 50 yards. If a gun with a looser fit will be more reliable, then it works for me.
    Made in USA preferred.

Help?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Your looking at possibly a 4" barreled 1911 ? Or possibly a 3.5" ?

I'v surprisingly had great trust in my Kimber Tactical Pro II .45 ACP. Normally I would steer you towards a Springfield Ultra sized 1911 but this Kimber has kept rockin without failures for a couple thousand rounds now. Lot's of extras included in the Tactical series Kimbers too.

Either the Kimber Pro Carry, Tactical Pro II or a Springfield Ultra loaded would be my suggestions.

ETA: Both Kimber and Springfield use a bull barrel without a bushing in their shorter models. This is for reason. So the series 70 type may not be availabe in those barrel lengths. As far as I know.

YMMV
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

A 4" barrel would be my preferred choice. Longer if anything, not shorter. I held a Kimber at the range Saturday and the 5" seemed just a little long for drawing from IWB. I could be wrong. I wasn't so concerned about the barrel bushing in the series 70, so much as the lack of firing pin safety. I'm told the firing pin safety negatively affects the trigger, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Lots of choices for you, that is for sure. I really like the Sig's. They make a commander length gun on an officer frame. Very nice for carry.

sgb
    ktulu92fs and DUNDEM like this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Hmm, that one just doesn't do it for me SGB. I think it's the all-stainless. The more I think about it the more I'm leaning towards a GI-style 1911. Blued or similar. I'm picky, I know. :/
    My blog

TCT
    DUNDEM likes this.

It's pretty, but that's a solid $500 outside my price range. I'll keep it in mind if I decide to save up longer though.
    My blog

TCT
    Keep in mind that is MSRP. I am sure you can find one for $300+ less.

I own two Dan Wesson 1911's and they are amazing firearms for the price.

Here is my Kimber Tactical Pro II It's a 4" bull barrel with full length guide rod and many other goodies you probably wont find on other "short" 1911 guns. Front strap checkering, 30 LPI, extended and flared magwell, ambi-safety/extended, Meprolite night sights. Great sites, especially included with the pistol. Beavertail grip safety, Combat hammer/forged steel and a very crisp 4.5-5 Lb trigger setting.

You can find these for about $1,000 -$1250 retail.

KimberTacticalProII_left_800.jpg
    DUNDEM likes this.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

The belief that the Series 80 safety makes it impossible to get a good trigger pull is a myth. Don't let that disqualify a choice. I've been using a Colt 1991A1 since about 1992. It's as good as my 70 series.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Now that I like. I might do away with the ambi safety though. No need for it myself. I can see the reasoning for it though.
    My blog

Buy a ruger and get ammo or classes with the rest. Its a lot of bang for the buck!
    JD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    Buy a ruger and get ammo or classes with the rest. Its a lot of bang for the buck!
    He wants a shorter barrel.
    At this time, Ruger is only making a full-size model.
    They will, I'm sure, augment that in the near future with Commander-size 1911's ... and I'm sure they'll be excellent.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The belief that the Series 80 safety makes it impossible to get a good trigger pull is a myth. Don't let that disqualify a choice. I've been using a Colt 1991A1 since about 1992. It's as good as my 70 series.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a myth, buy not too many people can tell the difference and shooting the two side by side you won't really see any difference in the results on paper either.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links