rock island armory

This is a discussion on rock island armory within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for any opinions on the rock island armory 1911s. I have a buddy that is a gunsmith at a local shop and he has ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: rock island armory

rock island armory

Looking for any opinions on the rock island armory 1911s. I have a buddy that is a gunsmith at a local shop and he has nothing but good things to say...however, he also thinks west virginia will charge some one for crime scene clean up if they are involved in a "good"shoot, which is not the case and a subject for a later post..lol stay tuned..

I am shopping for a new pistol however I am not gonna drop over a grand for a 1911 so..I dont really wanna hear about wilson combat/kimber/spring field ect. however taurus 1911 or Para GI 1911 thoughts are welcome. My personal exp with these is I use to have a para P-14 I carried on duty..loved it however it is gone now and I am looking for a new 1911...I am not looking for a race gun/contest gun or a brag to my friends gun (I have a buddy with a kimber that does that for us..lol) I am not knocking these guns I actually like them I just cant justify spending that kind of cash when I have a daughter in athletics and a wife and harley with three dogs..lol

as far as polymer guns go..I carry a S&W M&P in 45ACP and dont see a reason to switch.

I appologize for all that rambling but I see how some post go and I want to keep this focused on the rock island armory 1911 mainly and if there are any other quality 1911s in the price range of 600 and change or less... thanks guys and I lookm forward to some good reviews /replies...

(disclaimer--I am leaning towards the para but if the RIA is reliable and of decent quality then what the hell save 300...I am a function guy..not a flash guy)

2. Remove Ads

I have a RIA CS(that is the officer's model or compact) that has ridden IWB and OWB for about a year and a half. I've ran about 500 rounds through it without any failures. I absolutely love it, trust it with my life, and never leave home without it. It is more accurate than I am, to boot. You can't go wrong with one and your wallet will thank you. Don't fall for the old "It can't be a reliable, quality 1911 for that price" bit. The people who say that have never owned/shot a RIA. If you do get one, I would plan a little extra on a new set of grips as the grips included on mine were functional but not very attractive. You can see mine to the left of this. The grips are the only thing that is not stock. Good luck with your decision!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    ...Adam

"If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart, and if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no head." --Winston Churchill

I had a RIA 1911 and regret having sold it. It was a good pistol, reliable, no frills GI model. I didn't carry it much anymore and 45 is an expensive range gun. I would have no concerns what so ever with RIA 1911.
    Attached Images
    Beans and Secret Spuk like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

RIA ,,,, they rock in my book.... have had less trouble out of my RIA than any other 1911 I own or have ever owned, ZERO problems other than the price of ammo.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

VIP Member
    The Para will be a nice buy if you want to leave it the way it is BUT if you want to buy basic and build it up over time then no. The RIA won't be as flashy as the para when new but it will be more to spec.

My gunsmith has spent many hours cursing the Paras I bring him because the are always just a little off here or there and it makes them hard to work on.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    I used to have a RIA Officers model great shooting gun but I decided to trade it for something else. The only problem I ever had with it was the recoil spring mechanism broke, sent it back to RIA and it was repaired and returned in less than two weeks really beats my experience with Taurus.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've never heard anything bad about them, and I have heard a whole lot of good about them!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Many things come into play with this question. If your looking for a commander size or smaller Taurus is ruled out completely. To my knowledge they are still only making their 1911 in full size.

As to RIA I have not heard anything bad about them. They seem to give you a lot of bang for your buck.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Check out the American Classic, they make great 1911. You can learn all about them here.

American Classic 1911 Forum

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Kimber can be purchased new for less than a "grand".

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I've had an RIA Tactical .45 for a couple of years now and I think it is an excellent pistol for the money. The surprise for me was how accurate it was out of the box. And the only thing I've done is to replace the grips with some inexpensive Pachmeyers (SP?). The only down side is the cost of ammunition!! Unlike some more expensive 1911s I am familier with, it has never failed to operate perfectly.
    NRA Lifer Since 1971

I have the Rock Island 1911A1 Tactictal. I've put around 3000 rounds through mine without a single problem. It's built like a brick outhouse and can take a lot of abuse. It will also accept pretty much all after market parts with only minor fitting. I threw in a stouter recoil spring and shok buff from wilson combat (no fitting required) and the action feels great. Smooth and crisp. If you're looking for a budget 1911 rock island is the way to go. Great gun.

Thanks for all the input. It seems to me that RIA makes a solid 1911. thanks guys..I think I will go ahead and get one. I will post a pic when I get it...looking like this sat or next week before I can get to the shop that has one in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Adameeski View Post
    I have a RIA CS(that is the officer's model or compact) that has ridden IWB and OWB for about a year and a half. I've ran about 500 rounds through it without any failures. I absolutely love it, trust it with my life, and never leave home without it. It is more accurate than I am, to boot. You can't go wrong with one and your wallet will thank you. Don't fall for the old "It can't be a reliable, quality 1911 for that price" bit. The people who say that have never owned/shot a RIA. If you do get one, I would plan a little extra on a new set of grips as the grips included on mine were functional but not very attractive. You can see mine to the left of this. The grips are the only thing that is not stock. Good luck with your decision!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This pretty much says everthing I was going to say.
    Great gun! My retired cop buddy and myself have competition all the time-Him with his Kimber ultra,and me with my RIA officers. we both miss the target equallyand we both have been known to hold some nice groups.
    It royally grinds him to no end whenever we get together and compare/shoot. Im always quick to point out that his 1911 is very purdy,but its no different than mine.
    you will be very satisfied...
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

I have nothing but great things to say about my rock CS. Great buy if you are not into bragging rights.
    yooperdug likes this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links