.38 snub for a skinny guy

This is a discussion on .38 snub for a skinny guy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm 6', 150lb. I prefer revolvers for the reliability factor--me being the most unreliable part of the equation. It doesn't get simpler than a revolver. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: .38 snub for a skinny guy

I'm 6', 150lb. I prefer revolvers for the reliability factor--me being the most unreliable part of the equation. It doesn't get simpler than a revolver.

I've been carrying a S&W 38-3 Airweight at 4 o'clock, IWB, in a cheap Uncle Mike's. Because I'm thin, it's apparent there's something there with a sweater over it.

I want a gun with a completely internal hammer, so it's reliably fireable from a jacket pocket. I'd been thinking of getting a Ruger LCR, but have realized that for me thickness is probably a bigger factor than weight for concealed carry, so I'm looking at other options. Next holster choices are wavering between Crossbreed Super Tuck and Shielded Holsters Double Phalanx. Remoras are also interesting, since they'll go IWB-pocket and back.

I don't carry much hubris, so remarks/advice of any kind are welcomed. "You're an idiot" with some supporting logic is fine by me.

A S&W Model 36 in my coat pocket saved my arse once..........the "J" frames are the best for my money and I like the M&P 340 alot.....nice and light and 357 Mag. option which I would opt for 38 Spec. +P Buffal Bore anyway.
    But if it's a revolver, it's a Smith & Wesson............light, fast dependable always and a miriad of models and choices.....what else is there...? As far as holsters....a slim IWB should do it.

I looked at the LCR and S&W 642/442 side by side and liked the S&W better. It is marginally smaller overall, and the fit and finish was better. The Remora works great for both pocket and IWB I use the #8UC for my 442. I have used the hybrid holsters like the Crossbreed for other guns, but find them a little big for the small revolvers. The S&W just about disappears with the Remora.
    stancehold likes this.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    try appendix carry.....
    ccwguy and stancehold like this.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I have a S&W 442. For pocket carry, I use either a Remora or Mika.

I usually carry AIWB, and for that I use either a Remora or Mr. Softy.

The Remora is comfortable and versatile, but the Mr. Softy is more stable, at least it is for me the way I use it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I like the Ruger LCR so much I have all three versions of the gun. I daily carry the .38 LCR in a Don Hume J.I.T. slide. Buy a larger shirt and move the gun to appendix carry position. Otherwise, I'm with 303British, get you an LCR or a S&W 642/442. I personally don't think there is much difference in size of those, except the grip, and the LCR has more of a hump there, but that doesn't affect concealability. I don't think the LCR is any thicker than the 642/442.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Try a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro - pulls the gun in real tight to the body. Should conceal it really well.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

A lot of people are gonna laugh. For a J frame I prefer a $10 gunmate holster carried Appendix IWB. For me this works better than anything I have tried.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Try a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro - pulls the gun in real tight to the body. Should conceal it really well.
    Thanks to everyone who's responded so far, but particularly to ksholder for this remark, particularly of interest to a skinny guy. I don't care for appendix carry (feels weird) and wearing looser clothing looks sloppier on someone with a slight frame than it does on a beefier guy, so having the rig fit to me better seems the way to go.

How's the comfort on the Black Ops Pro? One thing that attracts me to the Super Tuck is the fairly large body-side plate spreading out the impact of the gun.

38 BodyGuard.JPGS&W Body Guard 38 SP fits your post. The LCR is also a great option

I carry a model 60 in an Alessi Talon Plus. Nobody is going to see that. If you go to Top Gun Supply on the web, you can find Ritchie holsters, and his Nighthawk is pretty much a Talon Plus. Spendy, worth it, and no wait.

Ex Member
    I am 5'11" and 160. This rides in my Jeans every day. Model 38 Airweight. Comfortable and NOBODY has ever called me on it.

BugDude and Mudgen like this.

Distinguished Member Array Haywood's Avatar
    You have to learn to dress around the gun. I carried a Glock 21 under a T-Shirt for Two months last summer AIWB with no problems. Revolvers are my favorite so now that my love affair with the Glock is over I have gone back to carrying my Snubs in that same way.
    357and40 and stancehold like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudgen View Post
    Thanks to everyone who's responded so far, but particularly to ksholder for this remark, particularly of interest to a skinny guy. I don't care for appendix carry (feels weird) and wearing looser clothing looks sloppier on someone with a slight frame than it does on a beefier guy, so having the rig fit to me better seems the way to go.

How's the comfort on the Black Ops Pro? One thing that attracts me to the Super Tuck is the fairly large body-side plate spreading out the impact of the gun.
    In short - very comfortable. I have tried a lot of cheapie options and gotten rid of them all. When I got my first Black Ops Pro, I realized that you really could forget you had the weapon on. Once you find that spot where you can comfortably carry the gun you will forget it is there.

The Black Ops Pro can be adjusted for ride height and cant. Once you get adjusted for your preference you will be delighted. I have 5 of them for different weapons from a J frame up to a 1911 and a 4" K frame.

When used for IWB carry, the Black Ops Pro pulls the gun in very close to your body. When you use it for OWB it is close, but, but not as close as the IWB approach. There are less expensive options if you just want an OWB holster that works, but for IWB, you can't beat the Black Ops Pro.
    Mudgen likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    its not the CCW its the holster that makes for ease of carry
    My EDC is a 442 snubbie using an IWB holster from Kusiak...I also use
    a N8tactical for larger CCWs and they work well on my smaller frame

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links