Recommendations for a CCW . . .

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a CCW . . . within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It sounds pretty wide open at the moment. Picking a weapon many times is determining where you would like to make your trade-offs. My wife ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a CCW . . .

It sounds pretty wide open at the moment. Picking a weapon many times is determining where you would like to make your trade-offs. My wife thought that just one weapon would be enough. I explained it to her that the weapon is like her purse. It's not a one size fits all, you have a few to select from to match the occasion.

I've got a Nano for when I need something small. The trade-off there was capacity. It's only 6+1, but I can fit it in the front pocket of cargo shorts or IWB. Better to have something over nothing.

I've got a Glock 23 for when I can support something larger. The trade-off there was having to conceal something larger, so wardrobe choices are fewer. But, I gained 13+1 of 40 S&W.

I'm thinking of adding a Glock 27 that will fit in between those two and give me another option. I wouldn't mind having a Glock 29 instead, but with a G27 I can carry a G23 mag for back-up and add 4 rounds plus the G27 is a little more narrow for IWB.

If I was trying to do the one size fits all approach, I would probably stay with the G23 and deal with the conceal issues.

2. Remove Ads

Welcome by the way and remember everyone has a first day carrying. I would recommend the M&P9c.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    I carry a full size Kimber in a IWB CrossBread Super tuck which conceals very well. Sounds like we are about the same size and the same dress code. What ever you choose practise with it until you have muscle memory and always get a firing grip on you gun when you draw.

Semper Fi

I also carry a springfield XD .40 Subcompact with an IWB. I am also a big guy @ 290 and it's no prob. I due use the short mag as the extended mag tenst to buldge a bit. At least on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    Since you have to dress up I would go with the P238, or if you are a patient man, wait for P938 to come out; negligible difference in size and you get to step up to a 9MM.
    Agreed. That's my next acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by MS_Barrister View Post
    So, I know the board probably sees a ton of these "type" posts from noobs. I also know the typical answers consisting of "try before you buy" -- which I certainly plan to do -- and "everybody's different."

Despite being around guns and reloading my entire life, as well as being in the Marine Corps for 8 years, I'm just starting my CCW journey. That said, I've been doing a ton of research on different makes, models, sizes, etc., etc., as well as reading all the posts and reviews on here. I've also been picking my brother-in-law's brain, who's a police officer, avid handgun collector, and works at a LGS part-time.

Although no gun is "out of the running" per se, here's a few that have made my CCW wish list: Beretta Nano; Colt Defender; Glock 29SF; Kimber Solo; Para Warthog; SIG P238, and; Walther PPS.

Being a lawyer, concealability is a major concern for me. I typically wear slacks and a tucked in button down shirt, with the occasional suit on days I'm meeting with clients or have court (in which you can't tote in MS anyway). I'm a fairly large guy -- 6', 240lbs. I'm thinking an IWB tuckable holster is going to be my best bet, but that's why I'm here asking you guys/gals.

So here are my questions for the board:

Pros/Cons/Thoughts on the list above?
    Thoughts on concealing in light of my limited wardrobe options?
    Any other recommendations to the list of guns above?

Thanks in advance!
    I have several Glocks. They are "workhorse" guns that really don't need much attention, and will still function, but, for ME, they are just too "thick" for concealed carry.

I've owned 3 Paras.Out of the 3, I managed to get one to run, maybe 99%, after sending it to two of the top, Para smiths, and to the tune of about $700. I then made the mistake of buying a P16-40 Limited. The barrel was fit so bad that it was almost dangerous. I was going to have a local smith fit a new barrel, but, he suggested sending it back for warranty. Their warranty dept. was a joke. Not only did they not re-fit, or replace the barrel, they replaced $200 worth of parts that didn't need to be replaced, and charged me for them. I had the local smith put in an Ed Brown Barrel, and sold all my Paras.

I don't have a SIG 238, but, I do have an OLD, Colt, .380 Government, and a S&W .380 Bodyguard. Although the caliber is a little light, both are fine carry guns. The SIG 238 was pretty much modeled after the old Colts, so I would think they are just fine.

I used to own a Walther. I don't remember what the model number was. It was pretty accurate, when it didn't jam.

I just picked up new, Kimber Solo, this afternoon. I lubed it with some FP-10, took it to the range, and shot the snot out of it. I didn't count how many rounds I put through it, and only quit because I froze my fingers, and my palm was getting sore. It ate every kind of ammo I tried in it! The Solo is almost exactly the same size as my S&W .380 Bodyguard, except it is a little thicker. I chose the Solo over Kahrs, Kel-Tecs, ect, because Crimson Trace makes a lasergrip for it.

MS_Barrister,
    I agree w/ the folks who have recommended a single stock semi-auto. Now to complicate things further, I'd give consideration to buying two guns.

I understand the challenges you'll have on the days your in court or other places where you can't carry. For those days, I think a gun for pocket carry would be good; otherwise, you'll find yourself having to dress and undress multiple times a day. A 380 ACP pocket gun (Kel-Tec 380, Ruger LCP, Kahr 380 and many others) would work well. OTOH, w/ the right slacks I think you'll be able to pocket carry a number of the smaller, single stack 9 mm's (a number of guns the size of the Kel-Tec PF9, Kahr PM9 or Ruger LC9). I do this a lot w/ my Kel-Tec using a rear pocket holster in my right front pocket. You won't be able to pocket carry the small 9's with all pants. You might find the size comparison useful at this site.
    http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

On the days you can carry IWB w/o having to worry about dressing/undressing, you could still carry any of the above 9's IWB, or carry a bigger gun IWB. For IWB carry, I now mostly carry one of three 45 ACP's: Kahr CW45, Citadel Concealed Carry (Officer's size frame) or an American Classic Commander. The Kahr is a favorite right now, especially since it's new. When carrying 1911's tucked, I use a Woolfe "Lone Wolf-T" holster Lone Wolf-T - $98.00 : Woolfe, Gun Leather. So far, I've been carrying the CW45 untucked w/ a Remora holster while awaiting the arrival of a "Tuck Clip" holster from Side Guard Holsters Side Guard Holsters - IWB Holsters - Tuck Clip. Unlike some, I've not developed confidence carrying the Remora tucked.

Good luck w/ your journey. You'll find out what works best for you.

S&W M&P 9c is an awesome, accurate carry.

For single stack you listed some great ones but i'd add the Diamondback DB9 and DB380 to your "try" list, after looking around for myself I became quite the fan of the Diamondbacks and got myself a DB380 Exo and recommend it every chance I get.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Semper Fi!
    Unless you were Recon or other spec ops, you should be comfortable with a 9mm. In my day, it was exclusively 1911. It took a lot of time and bullet development to get me comfortable with anything less than .45. While I carried less than .45 as a civilian, I was very aware of their limitations and worked around them.
    Since you have that "client/concealability" issue, I'd go with a 9mm in pocket holster as everyday carry. I suggest a Kahr MK 9. Back in the "olden days" when I was a sales rep/stockbroker, I wore suits all of the time. Most of the time in the office or with clients the jacket came off. So much for on the belt carry (it was also against company policy to have guns on prem). I solved it with either a PPK or Jframe in pocket. NO one knew. With modern technology - 9mm/.40/.45 in pocket works well.
    Why would Spec Ops (what is that by the way) or Recon not feel comfortable with a 9mm but a regular Marine would? I don't see the logic in that.

OP - My needs are similar to yours. Discretion. After much trial and error, I've found there are only two carry methods that are really discreet.

One is pocket carry. I have a PM9 and two LCPs for that role.

The other is the Smartcarry. Wear pleated pants in a dark color, and you can just about carry whatever you want. I wear it left of center (I'm right handed) so the barrel points down my left leg. Bottom of the pistol's grip is centered on the zipper, so any bulge (even with a double stack pistol) looks like the normal fold you would expect to see there on men's pants.

No need to untuck anything to draw. No clips to show on your belt. No concern about a bump frisk. No worries about someone seeing it from under the bathroom stall at the office (you can pull it up under your shirt when you sit on the commode). No need to buy larger pants. No need for a thick gun belt.

Do NOT listen to the nay sayers. Your sidearm does NOT point at your "junk." And the draw is darn quick - no need to untuck or sweep aside a cover garment.

I've carried a Glock 19 or a Glock 26 this way for over 3 years. Stood in front of large groups of people giving presentations - no one knew anything. And no, I was never asked if I was "happy to see them."

The only reason I stopped using it daily is because I do a lot of driving (sitting) and after a while, it started causing me a bit of pain in my bend point, from the backstrap pushing in the same spot. That said, the Smartcarry is WAY more comfortable than even OWB while driving - when I carry OWB at 4 o'clock, sitting in my car's bucket seat is downright painful for anything other than a short drive. Pocket carry, naturally, is the most comfortable.

If you are OK with a smaller gun, pocket carry is the way to go. If you want a full size pistol, the Smartcarry is the most discreet option by a long margin.

Hope this helps, good luck.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

My preferred is my Ruger SR9c. Compact, accurate, reliable ammo feed, and reasonable price. Conceal in a Crossbreed SuperTuck.
    Optional: S&W J Frame 38 special revolver (Chief Special) in a Galco IWB King Tuk
    Optional: Sig P238 380 ACP

All great to carry.

Go with the sub compact xd 9mm. Very nice. I carry it. With the desantis tuck 2

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Whatever gun you choose isn't going to mater buy a crossbreed supertuck holster and a velcro belt with the velcro straps for deeper concealment that setup will cost you about 150 but no clips to show and you can take the holster on and off when going to court... You may also want to consider CCW breakaway pants very stylish and comfortable nobody will ever now your carrying a gun CCW Breakaways.com with that said my gun choice is a sig P238 I own two and waiiting on the 938 to come out next week..
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

j-frame 3.jpg

I may be the only one that goes this way but it is very reliable, light and accurate. I also have a Bodyguard .380 for pocket carry when the j-frame is too large.
    Good luck with your choice, Frank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links