Recommendations for a CCW . . .

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a CCW . . . within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't beat the P238 for conceal. I carry it IWB and you can't tell its there. The new P938 coming out should be just as ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations for a CCW . . .

Can't beat the P238 for conceal. I carry it IWB and you can't tell its there. The new P938 coming out should be just as good, just a hair longer in a 9mm.

2. Remove Ads

As others have said p238 a good choice if u like the 1911 style, if you feel the need for a larger round any reliable 3 inc. 1911 would conceal well in a tuckable holster not goin to push any certain brand defender Springfield emp kimber any that catch your fancy and proves it's self relible to you with some range time would fit the bill. Happy hunting many choices any could be right trust what feels comfortable and shoots well for you

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    The 29SF is the best of that bunch. a whole lot of power that 10mm! I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    Whatever gun you choose isn't going to mater buy a crossbreed supertuck holster and a velcro belt with the velcro straps for deeper concealment that setup will cost you about 150 but no clips to show and you can take the holster on and off when going to court... You may also want to consider CCW breakaway pants very stylish and comfortable nobody will ever now your carrying a gun CCW Breakaways.com with that said my gun choice is a sig P238 I own two and waiiting on the 938 to come out next week..
    JB,

Is there a particular velcro belt you would recommend? I didn't see any on the Crossbreed website.

OP, I am a lawyer and have the same problem you are coming across. I have the Sig 238 in a pocket holster and it is very easy to conceal. With the 238 you have to be comfortable with a single action, locked and cocked. I also have a Ruger LCP 357 that I can pocket carry as well. The LCR is a little bulkier but I have no problem pocket carrying in a suit or dress pants. I also have a Springfield XD Sub9, which is a great pistol but I have had a hard time concealing it comfortably all day. I am interested to see what set-up you end up with. Good luck!

I have the Sig 238 in a pocket holster and it is very easy to conceal. With the 238 you have to be comfortable with a single action, locked and cocked.
    I don't have a Sig 238, but have always thought it should be carried cocked and locked as you do. I've always worried about the exposed, cocked hammer snagging during a draw from the pocket. Does that happen w/ a 238?

The small 380s (I carry an LCP) are the easiest to carry. I pocket carry mine in a Desantis nemisis. Lately I have been pocket carrying my Kahr CM9, also in a Desantis. It doesn't carry well in jeans but in any pants with larger front pockets it isn't bad at all. The Kahr CW45 is also very easy to carry IWB.

Counselor, you already have a pretty good list, though as others above have suggested, try a Kahr. I conceal carry a PM 9 in a suit all the time, you just have to make sure the suit is not too fitted. Another good choice is the M&P9c

Look at the beltmans site I have one from him with the Velcro works great and a vary good looking belt also

LLL
    I was lusting after the Kimber Solo but the guy and the gun shop I deal with strongly discouraged me. Read some reviews and decided I would let them work the bugs out. Being a Kimber I am sure they will or it will be resolved. I use a Ruger LCP for everyday carry. I will not try to convience anyone about the 380's ability or lack thereof, i will just say if I would rather have one than not. In your situation I would probably check out a good range that sells rents and carry the largest cal. you feel comfortable with and won't leave home or in the car.

I was in a similar situation as you looking for a smaller carry gun. I have a glock 26 for every day carry but I needed something even more concealable for work and my business / business casual dress code. I compared the .380 pocket guns and had it narrowed down the the P238 or a ruger LCP. But when I got to handling them in the gun shop a single stack 9mm is not that much larger than a .380 so that made me decide against the .380s. Then when comparing the single stack 9mm kahr , ruger etc. I noticed that a S&W J frame is pretty close in size. I ended up bringing home a S&W 642. For me it was the best choice as its shape makes it conceal very well if you carry IWB. And if you pocket carry it you can fire from your pocket if need be without the worry of a jam. You might consider a Jframe revolver as they are fairly inexpensive. They also make great summer carry guns when in a T shirt and shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It sounds like a single stack will serve you best. Myself I'd opt for a .45ACP. You might want to give a look at the Kahr CW45.

Kahr CW45 - Style # CW4543, Kahr Arms Pistols

The links below are for a couple of possible holsters.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG2.asp

"Cover Up" IWB

I carry a Kahr CW45 and I use a Tagua leather taurus 24/7 iwb holster for small of the back carry (right hand holster as I am left-handed) and a Tagua 1911 4in hip holster. Both fit very well for not being "made" for Kahr (not many manufacturers actually make Kahr CW45 Holsters).

The only concern I would have with a tuckable IWB holster would be having to male sure you are covered each time you get up from sitting in front of a client. One uncovering could be big trouble. I'd suggest pocket carry all the way. The PM or CM9 from Kahr is a great gun but they require a pretty big break in period. I'd personally go with a pocket 380 of your choice, and a full size gun in a day planner on the desk in front of me. The day planner shouldn't attract any attention. Just don't leave it someplace accidentally!
    Question Everything!

Of the ones you mentioned. For deep comcealment I like the pps but there are other good single stack pistols out there. Taururs slim, ruger lc9, kahr cm9 cw9. And bersa has one out now the bp9cc. Or if you want higher capacity. The glock and para you mentioned would be nice but I think the paras are on the pricey side. Just my .02 cents worth. Do try as many as you can to see whats best for you. Good luck with you quest for a new carry piece. Btw another poster mentioned the m&p9c I just got that one but havent been able to shoot it yet.

Personally, I'd rule out any 380 for primary carry as not sufficient firepower. Some of the other choices you have listed have had "reliability" issues (i.e., Kimber Solo, Para Warthog, etc.), so I wouldn't include them in my list of options either. The Beretta Nano looks interesting to me, but it is a new firearm and I'm not sure it's had enough time on the market to uncover any problems it may have. I see you listed a Glock 29sf as one of your options. I like Glocks, own a few. My recommendation would be either a Glock 26 or Glock 27 (known as the "baby" Glocks). Why?? They have been on the market a long time and are known to be reliable. They are small enough to conceal easily and can be carried iwb, owb or in a pocket. Some say they are too large, but I often carry my Glock 26 in my Jeans pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis holster. Also carry it iwb at 11:00 (I'm left handed) in either a tuckable Galco holster or a kydex Dale Fricke Archangel. The 26 carries 10+1 9mm+P which is plenty of firepower. It weighs around 19oz unloaded compared to 17oz for the Nano, but has nearly twice the capacity of the Nano. If you like the 40, get the Glock 27.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links