Recommendations for a CCW . . .

This is a discussion on Recommendations for a CCW . . . within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I know the board probably sees a ton of these "type" posts from noobs. I also know the typical answers consisting of "try before ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a CCW . . .

So, I know the board probably sees a ton of these "type" posts from noobs. I also know the typical answers consisting of "try before you buy" -- which I certainly plan to do -- and "everybody's different."

Despite being around guns and reloading my entire life, as well as being in the Marine Corps for 8 years, I'm just starting my CCW journey. That said, I've been doing a ton of research on different makes, models, sizes, etc., etc., as well as reading all the posts and reviews on here. I've also been picking my brother-in-law's brain, who's a police officer, avid handgun collector, and works at a LGS part-time.

Although no gun is "out of the running" per se, here's a few that have made my CCW wish list: Beretta Nano; Colt Defender; Glock 29SF; Kimber Solo; Para Warthog; SIG P238, and; Walther PPS.

Being a lawyer, concealability is a major concern for me. I typically wear slacks and a tucked in button down shirt, with the occasional suit on days I'm meeting with clients or have court (in which you can't tote in MS anyway). I'm a fairly large guy -- 6', 240lbs. I'm thinking an IWB tuckable holster is going to be my best bet, but that's why I'm here asking you guys/gals.

So here are my questions for the board:

Pros/Cons/Thoughts on the list above?
    Thoughts on concealing in light of my limited wardrobe options?
    Any other recommendations to the list of guns above?

Thanks in advance!

If you aren't opposed to a single stack, take a look at the Ruger LC9.

Quote Originally Posted by MS_Barrister View Post
    So, I know the board probably sees a ton of these "type" posts from noobs. I also know the typical answers consisting of "try before you buy" -- which I certainly plan to do -- and "everybody's different."

Despite being around guns and reloading my entire life, as well as being in the Marine Corps for 8 years, I'm just starting my CCW journey. That said, I've been doing a ton of research on different makes, models, sizes, etc., etc., as well as reading all the posts and reviews on here. I've also been picking my brother-in-law's brain, who's a police officer, avid handgun collector, and works at a LGS part-time.

Although no gun is "out of the running" per se, here's a few that have made my CCW wish list: Beretta Nano; Colt Defender; Glock 29SF; Kimber Solo; Para Warthog; SIG P238, and; Walther PPS.

Being a lawyer, concealability is a major concern for me. I typically wear slacks and a tucked in button down shirt, with the occasional suit on days I'm meeting with clients or have court (in which you can't tote in MS anyway). I'm a fairly large guy -- 6', 240lbs. I'm thinking an IWB tuckable holster is going to be my best bet, but that's why I'm here asking you guys/gals.

So here are my questions for the board:

Pros/Cons/Thoughts on the list above?
    Thoughts on concealing in light of my limited wardrobe options?
    Any other recommendations to the list of guns above?

Thanks in advance!
    I carry a springfield XD .40 Subcompact with an IWB tuckable holster in the winter. I personally like the iwd tuckable rig. It allows for concealed carry when I have to be dressed up. If you choose an IWB tuckable rig, make sure you get one that doesn't have very obvious belt clips, which most of them do.

I use the desantis tuck this II (cheap and dependable, plus you can carry an extra mag) IWB tucked
    Last edited by Badey; February 21st, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added model of my rig

I have several carry guns, but the one that rides on my hip most often is my Colt Defender. I highly recommend it for your serious consideration.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Take a look also at the Kahr CM9, lightweight and conceals easily.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Semper Fi!
    Unless you were Recon or other spec ops, you should be comfortable with a 9mm. In my day, it was exclusively 1911. It took a lot of time and bullet development to get me comfortable with anything less than .45. While I carried less than .45 as a civilian, I was very aware of their limitations and worked around them.
    Since you have that "client/concealability" issue, I'd go with a 9mm in pocket holster as everyday carry. I suggest a Kahr MK 9. Back in the "olden days" when I was a sales rep/stockbroker, I wore suits all of the time. Most of the time in the office or with clients the jacket came off. So much for on the belt carry (it was also against company policy to have guns on prem). I solved it with either a PPK or Jframe in pocket. NO one knew. With modern technology - 9mm/.40/.45 in pocket works well.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

Without being biased,get the GLOCK!!!!!!,for your sit,and what you have listed,either the Kimber or Walther,would prob conceal and carry best.

VIP Member
    I don't think you will want a double stack with the dress clothes. I don't like the "thick" guns with sport coats. However You are larger and could get away with it more than me. If you go with IWB you need pants in the next size or two up. so it could get expensive to get lots of new pants. Maybe a nice shoulder hoster under the jacket at times. Or a belt slide 4 o clock ish, ( you could do the Glock with that ) You could also look into an ankle rig for deep concealment or back ups. Should be a great journey for you!

VIP Member
    It sounds like a single stack will serve you best. Myself I'd opt for a .45ACP. You might want to give a look at the Kahr CW45.

Kahr CW45 - Style # CW4543, Kahr Arms Pistols

The links below are for a couple of possible holsters.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG2.asp

"Cover Up" IWB
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for all the great replies so far. I'm definitely going to add the various Kahr models mentioned to my list of "try before you buy."

I've bought a number over the years, revolvers, pistols, big and small. For a single stack carry I like the 1911 CCO sized pistols (commander slide and officer frame) and lightweight is easiest to carry (try Colt, STI, and Dan Wesson). For double stack, I find it hard to beat the Glock 26. The Glock 29 that you mention is nice, but thicker than the 26 (and heavier when fully loaded) and unless you use light loads over-penetration should be a concern.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Kahr MK9

As mentioned by a previous poster, the Kahr MK9 is a good choice for a very concealable small gun. I carry mine in a Comp-Tac tuckable appendix carry holster. Because the MK9 is so thin, it conceals easily inside the waistband. The extra weight of the steel Kahr compared to a polymer Kahr is useful in controlling recoil if you use +P 9mm ammo. Mine has been reliable through 1000 rounds so far.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Since you have to dress up I would go with the P238, or if you are a patient man, wait for P938 to come out; negligible difference in size and you get to step up to a 9MM.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. --George Washington

M&p9c

Kahr

Cw45
    Powerful well proven defensive round.
    Very thin and concealable.
    Great defensive trigger with consistence.
    Great accuracy.
    Affordable.
    Great reputation with LE as a BUG.

Need to break it in and that means honing skills by shooting 250-350 rounds through it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links