1911s Suck

This is a discussion on 1911s Suck within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Plastics... Back in the late 70's I worked in a fiberglass plant in the R&D lab. After 13 months I was laid off but during ...

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: 1911s Suck

Plastics...

Back in the late 70's I worked in a fiberglass plant in the R&D lab. After 13 months I was laid off but during that time I suffered some really odd plastic related issues.

I stopped wearing the Casio G-Shock watch I used to have because the plastic wristband made me break out in hives.

Now I've not owned or handled a Glock since back when they were just Glocks with none of this Gen x or RTF or whatever.

My musings are just limited to Glocks though. How many of those high speed guys are going to find that in 20 years all that range time spent with their sweaty mitts wrapped around those plastic handles have contributed to their prostates growing to the size and consistency of cantaloupes?

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    And I think the comments he made about egos being tied to your choice in carry gun are spot on as well - as we have seen by the replies to this thread.
    And not just the 1911 owners.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

VIP Member
    FWIW, I carry a Sig, because that's what my agency issues. I have carried Glocks and Berettas overseas as well. Given the choice, I would choose a Gen 3 Glock or a German Sig over anything else made - sight unseen - and feel very confident that my gun would work, and work well. Take away my Sig tomorrow and give me a Glock, or an M&P, or an HK, or an FN, or a.......and you won't hurt my feelings, nor will I feel it necessary to go on about nostalgia, purtiness, grip angle, original design specs, the Cult of JMB, or anything else. I'll strap on and go about my day. My gun doesn't define me. I define my gun.
    10thmtn likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Got my monthly Rifleman mag today. Think I'll put down 1995.oo for a commemorative 1911.

I was issued a 1911 in the Army many many years ago..my opinion is that the 1911 sucks...the thing rattled was heavy, and you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door...i qualified with the M14 and then with the 1911....my carry weapon was a 1911...i thought I was a dead man...I would never trust my life to one...but then that was 46 years ago..

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Do I actually have to watch the video to respond?
    I was issued the 1911 in service. My opinion? They don't suck. I also realize I'm dealing with a new generation now. One that doesn't have the knowledge, grit, nor willingness to support the country we live in and why we're still here. Things change.

Say what!

Not going to watch this video...

This is nuts.....
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Well, I've got well over 1/4 million rounds downrange with 1911's between World Class competition and in Force on Force studies with resisting (punching, kicking, grappling) opponents. I actually got my leg broke once doing it, so, now I let Paul Sharp and the younger studs do it for me!

But hey, opinions are like testicles: Everybody's got a couple, but they really only care about their own.

Properly functioning 1911s as scarce as non-functioning Glocks?!

Deathtraps?!

Poor choices?! (Bad analogy. The thoughtful 1911 user cannot be compared to the irresponsible drunk driver and you know it, OBFOR. The successful use of the 1911 throughout its history is not a happy accident.)

If the Forum readers take both Yeager and DRM at face value then we should immediately throw all our 1911s into our wastebaskets and certainly should cease buying them. At least retire them to the same quaint status as cap and ball revolvers and flintlock muskets; relics of an earlier, more primitive era only suitable for display, reenactments, or a fun vintage shooting experience at the range on Sunday afternoons. There is no way the 1911 should be taken seriously as a fighting pistol these days.

Why do y'all have your knives in the 1911? Really?

We're still in the era of the self-contained metallic cartridge and the 1911 will still serve well for flinging bullets and be just as effective as any other semi-auto pistol. There's a whole lot less difference in all the bottom-feeding pistols currently marketed than we like to pretend, both here on the Forum and in these various handgun defense courses currently so popular.

Really now, if a person (or two) has to come here on the Forum and extol himself, touting the zillion students he's taught, gazillion rounds experience he has under his belt and a broken leg to boot in order to tell me that the 1911 is a malfunctioning deathtrap then he wastes his time for I'm personally unimpressed. His "massive" experience really doesn't count for anything in my mind for I didn't experience it first hand, observe anything, or have opportunity to learn from it. I have my own first hand experiences and observations with the 1911 and I really do only care about my own. The pistol has always worked properly when I asked it to. No fumbling grip safeties. No defeatist "I might not be able to do it" attitude about external safeties. No choking, harking, or puking. I think the 1911 is still a fine choice among many fine choices. Of course this is from a fellow who has fired no more than about 40,000 rounds through a 1911 and who still likes his revolvers so I have no credibility.

There are some tremendous Forum members I greatly enjoy reading and their thoughts are taken to heart, even if I don't always agree with them. Some (among them OPFOR) might even be surprised how much they are appreciated. They don't however provoke the membership with sensationalism at the expense of accuracy.

1911 owners aren't the only ones exhibiting outsized egos as fans of other handgun types have them too. So do firearms trainers apparently.

I've got to take down this computer in order to have carpet laid tomorrow, will be tied up all weekend with a gun show, and intend to enjoy a shooting excursion next week. Y'all can have this thread from here on. It would be nice to begin a thread to critically examine the 1911, especially with a view to discussing whether or not many current manufacturers are doing a 1911-hungry market a disservice by persistently shipping pistols that perform so poorly. It wasn't always so and it isn't due to a problem with the design. We'll save that for another thread later.
    OD*, msgt/ret, gasmitty and 1 others like this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Yes, my analogy was intentionally extreme, but the heart of it stands. You added the "thoughtful" to the equation, that was not (and is not) a prerequisite for the purchaser/user of any firearm. In fact, if thoughtful (and by thoughtful I mean emotionless, nostalgia-less, purely utilitarian logic) were the sole criterion, there would be a LOT less 1911s out there.

I stand by my analogy, however - a poor choice with a successful outcome does not ratify nor justify the choice.

All that said: Yes, of course, a 1911 that functions properly will fling bullets just fine. Neither the video, nor any of my posts, have been about properly functioning 1911s. The video, and all of my posts, have been about the tendency of 1911s - over other makes/models - to NOT function properly. And as an adjunct point, that a lot of people get immediately red faced and steaming when this observed fact is pointed out.

I have nothing against the 1911. It was (almost without question) the best fighting handgun of its time. That time has passed, however, due to myriad reasons. Not the least among these reasons is the proliferation of "second tier" manufacturers, aftermarket gizmo makers, home gunsmiths, and so on. But the FACT remains - more 1911s go down in classes than do other pistols. When that ceases to be a fact (and I've yet to find a trainer/instructor who hasn't experienced this), then you will have an actual counter to the video. Until then, it is ego, it is "I don't like his tattoos," it is nostalgia, it is posturing, it is intentional ignorance.....it is a whole lot of things. But none of it changes the truth as observed and reported in the video.
    Last edited by OPFOR; February 24th, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
    cuban11182 and DRM like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

OD*
    Thanks Bryan.

~ Tiger McKee

I really hate to feed into this conversation, but I feel compelled. I have a Springfield 1911 mil spec with 2500+ rounds with no fail to anything but go boom. I know that 2500 is not many rounds in the grand scheme, but that is a pretty good % of success so far. What I can't wrap my mind around is how the reliability of this firearm is in question after 100+ years of service.

Are the 1911 pistols more or less reliable than Glocks, no clue. Will the 1911 run a dirty as Glocks, probably not. I am more accurate with the 1911 that any other hand gun I have shot. Will I win marksmanship contest never, but I can put bullets on center mass at hand gun range all day long.

Well silliness aside, and I do think it's pretty silly, Mr. Yeager says some other things.

All Handguns should be Glocks

All Glocks should be 9mm

All 9mm Glocks should be G19

Are there other qualifiers I'm missing?

All G19 should be what Gen?

All 9mm ammunition should be what weight?

All 9mm ammunition of the approved weight should be of what configuration?

All of the ammunition of the approved weight and configuration should be from which manufacturer?

If you are allowed to cherry pick in this fashion it'd be a simple exercise to do the very same thing with the 1911, specify a list of conditions and configurations that will be sure to be functional and we are all done with the argument.

Granted for the 1911 we'd have to disqualify more manufacturers and magazine makers but it's really not that big a deal.

Now, does this fellow even teach malfunction clearance drills at all?

Also, after watching some youtube stuff on his appearance on One Man Army doesn't he seem to be just a little bit...slow footed?
    OD* and JohnLeVick like this.

I have changed my mind. I now believe all 1911s suck, especially Colts. As a matter of fact, I want to help my fellow gun owners here by ridding you of those awful 1911s.

Yes that's right. I am here to make the ultimate sacrifice, and help you get rid of all those pieces of junk, AT NO COST!

So just send them to me, and I will do the right thing by them.
    DRM, OD* and JohnLeVick like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have changed my mind. I now believe all 1911s suck, especially Colts. As a matter of fact, I want to help my fellow gun owners here by ridding you of those awful 1911s.

Yes that's right. I am here to make the ultimate sacrifice, and help you get rid of all those pieces of junk, AT NO COST!

So just send them to me, and I will do the right thing by them.
    If you feel you don't have the space please note that I have extra storage for those ponies!
    DRM likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Hey, Gman.... I noticed you and C hawk were not as helpful in the Hi-Point thread...

OD*, WHEC724 and C hawk Glock like this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Hey, Gman.... I noticed you and C hawk were not as helpful in the Hi-Point thread...

~ Tiger McKee

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Links