1911s Suck

This is a discussion on 1911s Suck within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1911 was and still is one of the finest weapons ever made . It is the most copied hand gun in the world and appears ...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: 1911s Suck

1911 was and still is one of the finest weapons ever made . It is the most copied hand gun in the world and appears today in more variation than we could count.
    There is a reason it has been around this long and will be even longer.
    As for the part about Glock I strongly disagree, statement based on hype.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I really like his shirt because it looks like his wings are flapping when he raises his arms.

I was almost hoping that he would fly away aided by his hot air.

As far as whatever else is flapping on him....like his gums. I'm not paying much attention.
    BkCo1 likes this.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I don't doubt what he says if you take it from his perspective, someone who is around people shooting lots of rounds just about every day.

You take a sample of 1911s from all the different manufactures that make 1911s and then run them through a 1,000+ round training course and I have no doubt that the glock will perform better overall. I am sure he sees many more 1911s go down in his classes than glocks.

The 1911 is an outstanding design, but you can't just go to your local gun shop and buy any 1911 out of the case and expect it to work 100% shooting high volumes of rounds with little to no cleaning. This is what he sees.

Even the 1911 comp shooters I know that shoot very high volumes (10,000-20,000 rounds a year) will be the first to tell you that the 1911 is not going to shoot round after round like a glock. They require more maintenance and tuning.

The 1911 is a great design, one of the best, but it isn't a one manufacture design and I doubt it was designed to do what people expect out of modern day service pistols, mainly extremely high round counts with little to no maintenance.

Any time you talk about a 1911 and how it performs you have to put it into some type of context.
    yooperdug, msgt/ret and smolck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebeak View Post
    I don't have to watch the video either since anyone with that opinion is either uninformed, ignorant, a fool, or just plain stupid. A design and reliability that's been proven through 100 years of combat duty (Navy SEALS and other spec ops groups never gave it up for obvious reasons) and still remains extremely popular doesn't suck. Perhaps there are newer designs, lighter weight materials, and greater ammo capacity in lesser calibers that make for more convenience to some, but to say a 1911 sucks would come from the same idiot who would say a Mauser action sucks on a fine hunting rifle even though it's much older.
    Mind you the average seal can probably choose to carry what ever they want...I'm almost positive the standard issue is a sig sauer p226.

Kindoff reminds me of my 1911's are like redheads thread...I wasn't quite as harsh about it though.

Typical type of guy who give true Glock guys a bad name. He was on that show "one man army" and got his ass handed to him.

Glocks are excellent in tactical training classes! In real life though.... They're not much better than anything else out there. IMO

If I ever have to shoot 1000 rds in a weekend I'm an idiot for not grabbing a rifle :)

Chris Kyle (NAVY SEAL Sniper) tells of how he was not happy with his Sig and opted to carry a Springfield 1911 in Iraq until it took an AK round. He bragged in his book how he got the pistol running again. But, I'm sure he just likes the 1911 because it strokes his ego! ;)

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Do I actually have to watch the video to respond?
    I was issued the 1911 in service. My opinion? They don't suck. I also realize I'm dealing with a new generation now. One that doesn't have the knowledge, grit, nor willingness to support the country we live in and why we're still here. Things change.
    Amen
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Archie View Post
    Kaboom, you get to make up your own mind about things. However, in my experience, guys who shave their heads and wear tight tee shirts are trying very hard to impress people with how tough they really are. Typically that amounts to lots of situps and pushups and not much in the moral stamina department. Tattoos ring my particular bell due to my experience as well.
    It's a shame you choose to eliminate so many fine people from your circle and label them all nitwits! One could say only a nitwit would paint everyone with the same brush! Some of the most true, honest, upright, "word-living-by" people I have ever known are tattooed and bald....including me! And yep I work out so I am actually in shape too!! Oh well, as those who know better will attest. people like me are actually, generally speaking, up standing friends and citizens and individuals who stand for what they believe...but no matter...to each their own! I'll close my last comment on this subject with a dedication to something that seems to happen a bit more every generation.... This Is Dedicated to the unfortunate practice of judging books by their covers...

bahahahawahaaahawaa
    muttsrt likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    it may not be pc to say===moron.

but one words stands for the 40 or so it would otherwise take me.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

1911's don't suck...i've had many, and plan on buying another.

Comparing 1911's to any other pistol is like comparing john wayne to justin beiber.

-glock owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Do I actually have to watch the video to respond?
    I was issued the 1911 in service. My opinion? They don't suck. I also realize I'm dealing with a new generation now. One that doesn't have the knowledge, grit, nor willingness to support the country we live in and why we're still here. Things change.
    Can I get a little explanation on that younger generation statement?

Kind of guy that likes smelling his own farts
    64zebra and BkCo1 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Kind of guy that likes smelling his own farts
    Now that's funny!

The 1911 is a timeless gun, it will always be relevant and a major contender for a defensive pistol. I hope to own one in the near future.

I was raised in an era when only Indians on westerns wore paint on their bodies, and woman wore earrings and such, so like Archie, I consider him a nitwit.

Nothing wrong with Glocks, they are a top tier gun. But so is the 1911.

Well on second thought, he may have a point. There are so many cheap 1911 guns being made that he may be correct to a certain point.

But my Colt works.
    DRM, bmcgilvray, gasmitty and 1 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links