1911s Suck - Page 6

1911s Suck

This is a discussion on 1911s Suck within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have absolutely nothing against the way he looks and really nothing against glocks. I am the fat, balding, middle aged guy who really likes ...

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: 1911s Suck

I have absolutely nothing against the way he looks and really nothing against glocks. I am the fat, balding, middle aged guy who really likes his inexpensive 1911 (which has never failed by the way, Oh yeah and straight out of the box). I didnt spend $$$ thousands on my weapon BUT I really like it and trust it. I fills my hand and I feel like I am one with my weapon of choice. I am not fighting off hoards of ninjas or zombies, or even flash mobs so MOST likely I will not need 30 round magazines. I feel perfectly comfortable with my 7 and eight rounds +1 in defending my home and going to the mall. At home, I am fighting my way to the shotgun anyway. Heck, most of the time I will be carrying my 357 which ONLY has 5 rounds and a reload. Bottom line. I love my 1911s and my revolver. I may or may not purchase a glock in the future (More likely an SR40c or 9c). In fact, I really want a GP100. I know it only has 6 rounds. That's my opinion with no ego involved. I wouldnt even get upset if you called my 1911 a big do-do head...really.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member
    Let me, again, sum up the video.

1911s, on average, fail more often than other guns. This based on 15,000 students taught/observed, firing 15,000,000 rounds of ammunition. If you would like to contest that one and only FACT presented in the video, well...no one else has, so we're all still waiting.

Is the guy hyperbolic? Yep. Has he observed more shooting, from more handguns, than the VAST majority of us? Yep. Are his conclusions based on a massive sample of massive statistical significance? Yep again. Is his t-shirt too small? Yep once again (but this only serves to INCREASE his credibility in my eyes, because every PSD contractor I worked with in Iraq/Afghanistan - and these were the very top-tier contracts - loved them some size Smedium t-shirts. )
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    He may have credentials but that does not make him a good instructor.
    Maybe you know more about the man than I do, which comes from the video in the op and the resume. If not, how could you possibly come to this conclusion?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Maybe you know more about the man than I do, which comes from the video in the op and the resume. If not, how could you possibly come to this conclusion?
    Because he's not preaching the particular gospel that they want to hear.... That makes him a bad instructor.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Glockophiles have no excessive egos about their favorites.

There's nothing wrong with egos either. God gives each of us a measure of ego to help us survive and advance. Ego is exhibited on this Forum as well. That's fine. The guy in the clip though has ego up to his gills and it is off-putting. He's over the top. Our members here do a better job being "arm-chair commandos" than he can pull off, Glock (or anything else) vs. 1911 aside.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

At the end of the day, it's an opinion.

shoot what you like
    bmcgilvray likes this.

He's a jerk!And I will debate his experience as to my own,you never stop vehicles in a war zone,his inexperience got three contractors KIA.
    Harryball likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Do you think he is a good instructor? Good instructors don't speak that poorly, good instructors work with and around the students, they build up the students despite their own opinions. Good instructors keep a professional image. He does none of that. Many students don't want to sit there in class and listen to that garbage and foul language.
    Guest1 likes this.

I have to confess, his looks really don't bother me; I just like to stir it a little, and watch the sensitivities of people come out.:) Hate me if ya want, lol.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

He has some valid points about "stacking tolerances" etc. but does over generalize a bit.

The vid seemed geared to get more views and responses not so much for actual information.

I found it slightly entertaining but it in no way convinvced me of the validity of his premise.

The guy's looks don't bother me (as I'm bald, with goatee as well), but his language could be cleaned up and his cocky, "I'm right because of my creds" is annoying. My only experience with the 1911 was my grandfather's (a WWII vet), and I never saw it fail-to anything. I would love to have one, and I couldn't care less about this guy's opinions. I figure 101 years, there must be something that makes this platform keep going as strong as it does.

Sorry, didn't watch it. The premise is too ridiculous to even warrant a watch.
    1911s are the best combat handguns ever designed ... at least until the Glocks came out.
    They're all good in the proper hands. As are many, many other designs.

Senior Member Array CowboyColby's Avatar
    I really like my glock and I really like my 1911

I don't know which band wagon to jump on guess I'll just keep my opinion as it only matters to me.

I have never understood the relevance in saying any gun carried for SD has to run perfectly for two days and a 1000 rounds. Even in a military combat enviroment a sidearm is not going to be used like this.

Here's the deal; the firearms industry and Firearms Training community has turned into a bunch of bottom feeding, throat cutting, self anointed experts who will tell you what they want you to hear, just to seperate you from your money. These ideas that they have and push, have very little real world application to Mr and Mrs Citizen.

PS: The good ole wheel gun still works too.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I gotta tell you guys .....I watched this video and just about spewed my bottled water all over my desk....you see..last nite after work I ran home...got 2 pistols out of my safe and enough ammo to start and end a war.....both pistols were .45acp.....one was my Colt 1911 combat commander...the other was the taurus PT24/7 OSS......then went to the local gun range and murdered several targets.....funny how my 1911 out shot the taurus....the Colt fired dead nuts on into the x ring while the taurus fired a little low and to the left....

yes...I carry a glock 23 in .40 s/w.....but only cuz it doesn't pull my pants down from the weight.....

the guy is strictly and idiot on wheels.....he just doesn't know *** he's talking about....

by the way..I also have about a dozen other weapons to chose from but felt like last nite was .45acp nite....next time might be a .357 mag or 5.56 nato round nite....who knows.....

Steve

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Links