1911s Suck

This is a discussion on 1911s Suck within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read the first page and someone should invite him to the forum. (Didnt watch the video either, I like 1911's)...

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 193
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: 1911s Suck

  1. #91
    Senior Member Array Spade115's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    603
    I read the first page and someone should invite him to the forum. (Didnt watch the video either, I like 1911's)
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #92
    Ex Member Array Bullet1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    963
    His opinion ,,,, is HIS OPINION,,,,, means nothing
    to me ,,,,, I usually take everyone's opinion as just
    that,,,, their opinion ,,,, the only one I value on
    GUNS is ,,,,MINE or anyone who buys me a gun.


    1911's are great.

  4. #93
    Senior Member Array AZ Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Valley of the Sun, AZ
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    OK, I watched to 1:09 but he lost me when he spouted his first obvious and irrefutable lie: "A 1911 that works correctly is just as rare as a Glock that doesn't."

    Or, is this only excessive hyperbole considered acceptable, for his statement simply isn't true? He really isn't worth watching if that's the kind of content the remainder of the video features.
    I agree, as that is a ridiculous statement.

    The percentage of Glock's that don't work correctly is likely under 5%. By his logic, only 5% of 1911's work correctly. That is quite literally one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

    “The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

  5. #94
    Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,300
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    His biggest point, as played out in this thread IN SPADES, is that 1911 guys more than others (generally speaking) have way too much EGO invested in their guns. Just look at the posts: "I don't even need to watch the video" is a common response - simply ignoring what they don't want to hear. "The guy is an internet commando!" Who has seen 15,000,000 rounds fired out of who knows how many guns, and has come to the statistical conclusion based on that INCREDIBLY high sampling size that 1911s - ON AVERAGE - fail more often than certain other guns. "He is a scary looking bad man, and I don't like his bald head/facial hair/tattoos/t-shirt!" Yes, because that has sooooo much to do with the message!

    As you pointed out, Cold Shot, only one or two posters have even BOTHERED to address the content of the video. Mostly because it's the truth, albeit a truth that some folks very much (and very obviously) don't want to hear.
    You are right I did not watch the complete video, I kept hearing that John Browning was genius, but yet his design sucks. How does that work? I guess the 1911 was John’s big mistake
    He uses anecdotal evidence which many of the unlearned believe, because it furthers their cause. He has no scientific evidence. As you point out he has seen 15,000,000 rounds fired, how many shooters shot those rounds. Just a few weeks ago my wife was having trouble with FTE and FTF while shooting her Walther. I took the gun and shoot a magazine through it and found it to function just fine, the problem was the strength in her wrists. Many of the problems with guns often come down to the operator. There is no question that a 1911 takes a little more care and feeding than some other guns, but in the right hands there is nothing wrong with them.

  6. #95
    VIP Member Array smolck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,866
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Because he's not preaching the particular gospel that they want to hear.... That makes him a bad instructor.
    Exactly. This thread is funny. Bash him for tats and a bald head. Fact is the man has served our country and therefore has my respect.

    The man made some great points based on MASSIVE amounts of experience. Just because he is against the 1911 doesn't make him wrong or right. It means it is his point of view based on his experience (and he said as much). A custom 1911 is a great firearm, but I personally had a cheaper assembly line 1911 that was nothing but problems so I can understand his take. I bet most guys in his school that bring a 1911 aren't packing $2500 Nighthawks.

    I don't see him as a Glockophile or Glock fanboy either. Love em or hate em, the Glock is a tank. It will run, run, run, and run. Clean, dirty, wet, dry, sandy, icy, baked in cake (saw that one on guns and ammo TV), or whatever. I shoot with a guy who has a Glock 19 with 3500 rounds through it and has only cleaned it once! But I digress, the video doesn't even really champion Glocks, it was just an example of a more reliable gun.
    zonker1986 likes this.

  7. #96
    Ex Member Array Doodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tomball TX
    Posts
    948
    I keep seeing people minimizing their statements by saying things like "slightly more care and feeding but just as good"...I still read that as "on the day it counts I hope my 1911 is in a giving mood." No thanks.

  8. #97
    Moderator
    Array bmcgilvray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,895
    I've been shooting 1911s since 1978. Still have the first used one and have added more since. They all have worked fine and don't have to be "in the mood."
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

    Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

  9. #98
    VIP Member
    Array OPFOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by seapuppy View Post
    I gotta tell you guys .....I watched this video and just about spewed my bottled water all over my desk....you see..last nite after work I ran home...got 2 pistols out of my safe and enough ammo to start and end a war.....both pistols were .45acp.....one was my Colt 1911 combat commander...the other was the taurus PT24/7 OSS......then went to the local gun range and murdered several targets.....funny how my 1911 out shot the taurus....the Colt fired dead nuts on into the x ring while the taurus fired a little low and to the left....

    yes...I carry a glock 23 in .40 s/w.....but only cuz it doesn't pull my pants down from the weight.....

    the guy is strictly and idiot on wheels.....he just doesn't know *** he's talking about....

    by the way..I also have about a dozen other weapons to chose from but felt like last nite was .45acp nite....next time might be a .357 mag or 5.56 nato round nite....who knows.....



    Steve
    So....just so I'm clear.... Because the sights on your Taurus (and, um, well...it's a Taurus) are off, then the 1911 is better than the Glock. Just to make sure I'm following your logic. :)
    suntzu and JD like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

  10. #99
    Ex Member Array Doodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tomball TX
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've been shooting 1911s since 1978. Still have the first used one and have added more since. They all have worked fine and don't have to be "in the mood."
    I'm genuenly glad for you, I wouldn't wish the frustration of a finnicky pistol on anyone. I'm also not try to insult you...your weapon your choice.

  11. #100
    JD
    JD is online now
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,129



    I plan on formulating a more on-point reply, but am busy minding the lil'ones at the moment. But for now, in the video he makes a lot of good points. I do find his opinion interesting and worth reflecting over, if only to better counter his opinion but still, some valid points.

  12. #101
    VIP Member Array smolck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    2,866
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've been shooting 1911s since 1978. Still have the first used one and have added more since. They all have worked fine and don't have to be "in the mood."
    My 1911 was nothing but trouble. What's your point?

  13. #102
    VIP Member Array glockman10mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    8,569
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    My 1911 was nothing but trouble. What's your point?
    Well.....it could be what was already said...something about people who don't know what there doing screwing with them and mucking them up. Maybe...?
    Elk Hunter and OD* like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

  14. #103
    Ex Member Array Doodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tomball TX
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well.....it could be what was already said...something about people who don't know what there doing screwing with them and mucking them up. Maybe...?
    Well I guess if your 1911 doesn't work it MUST be your fault :)

  15. #104
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,088
    Mine goes off on its own ( even unloaded)

  16. #105
    VIP Member
    Array MrBuckwheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Down Incognito
    Posts
    6,088
    We should stop posting hear the "clown" just wants some attention.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

1911 suck
,

1911's suck

,

1911s suck

,
chris kyle carjacking
,
ria 1911 extreme tactical
,
rock island 1911 extreme tactical
,
rock island armory extreme tactical
,
rock island armory extreme tactical 1911
,
rock island armory gov't model 1911-a extreme tactical
,

rock island armory gov't model 1911-a extreme tactical 2011

,
rock island extreme tactical
,
why 1911s suck
Click on a term to search for related topics.