1911s Suck

This is a discussion on 1911s Suck within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Doodle Well I guess if your 1911 doesn't work it MUST be your fault :) That's not the jest of what I'm ...

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: 1911s Suck

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    Well I guess if your 1911 doesn't work it MUST be your fault :)
    That's not the jest of what I'm saying, however, if you have a gun that is functioning just fine, then try and do some stupid homemade modifications to it, kind of like a shade tree mechanic, and then all of a sudden it starts messing up, well, if it quacks like a duck, it's probably not a goose.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

He got what he wanted. Attention LOL. I don't care what anybody says in my choice of guns or cereal or movies I watch. If I like it and I am happpy with it then I don't give a hoot what anybody says. I would love it if he came out and said nasty things about Glocks. We would have 1000 posts by now.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.

Well... I paid good money for a brand new 1911. It had a few minor issues. Sent it to back and they had it for over a month and I got it back today and it still jams up often. I really really wanted to like it but I have decided to sale it.

However, the guy in the video is complete trash. Not because of the way he looks, just simply by the way he presents himself. If he was my employee he would be sent packin immediately. Sure not much of a salesman either. I think he strokes his ego with Glocks. I also am sure there are lots of good reliable 1911s.... Just not mine.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    My 1911 was nothing but trouble. What's your point?
    Don't buy budget 1911s and try to home smith them?

Put another hundred rounds through her today, that makes 300 since new. Got 1 stovepipe out of 100 rounds. 90 ball, 10 hollow point. Over the initial 300 rounds I have had one failure to feed and 3 stovepipes. Better than some Kimbers I know of and at $500 out the door I feel like it was a good deal. Gun is accurate and has an incredible trigger, breaks like glass and right at 4.7lbs (I tweaked it slightly). Very good for a "factory" trigger. Only "work" I did was polish the feed ramp a little further down than it came with, polish the breach face, and a little trigger bow polishing and sanding. She runs good and double and triple taps are a blast.

So for those looking for a good entry level or budget 1911 please do not be scared of this gun because of the price tag.
    This is about my American Classic Commander 1911 I have had for some months now. I have put 450 rounds through her now, with 1 FTF and 3 FTE (Stovepipes). Never with my carry ammo though which is a plus. In an effort to help with the issues I purchased a Wilson Combat Spring Kit for the gun including a 20# recoil spring, lighter mains spring (hammer spring), and heavier firing pin spring. The kit says it is "tuned" which is marketing hype but whatever.

Just put another 100 rounds through it this evening after installing the springs and I am happy to report no failures! And the by product of this procedure was a noticeable increase in accuracy (see pics) both targets were at 7 yards and the three holes across the bottom of the FBI targt were from a triple tap I tried (still learning muzzle contro). But this is about 1 to 1.5" tighter than any previous session. Figure each target had around 40 rounds on it.

Anyways, just thought I would share. For under $20, that spring kit was a GREAT addition to my budget 1911.

Nuf said right there!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Jest = a joke or gag.

Gist = the crux or main part of something

And JD - setting aside the idea of "don't mess with it," doesn't it strike you as odd how many posts begin with "My 1911 ran fine, right after I had x, y, z and a little bit of a, b, and c done to it! It was perfect right out of the box!" :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Jest = a joke or gag.

Gist = the crux or main part of something

And JD - setting aside the idea of "don't mess with it," doesn't it strike you as odd how many posts begin with "My 1911 ran fine, right after I had x, y, z and a little bit of a, b, and c done to it! It was perfect right out of the box!" :)

Very.

Like I said, Ive got a lot I want to add to this thread but am limited to one handed typing at the moment....

To be continued...

Drawing a conclusion that someone mustv'e played shadetree gunsmith because he said his 1911 didn't work is a bit of a stretch in my humble opinion guys.

This video just proves the awesomeness of the Glock

JD
    Administrator
    Drawing a conclusion that someone mustv'e played shadetree gunsmith because he said his 1911 didn't work is a bit of a stretch in my humble opinion guys.
    Unless you can quote them as having done so.

I posted where I took the finish off the blued commander I had. Apparently, if you field strip the gun and put a custom finish on it you make it not fire. Even when it was having FTF's before I ever touched it.

I don't much care for what people say here. The guy in the video has an opinion like all the rest of us. Only difference is, his opinion has credibility beyond ours. Would you listen to smolck from the defensive carry forum, or Mas Ayoob? One has credibility, one is just a handle on forum.

I just think it is funny because ONE person has never had a problem they paint the picture that ALL 1911's must work. Short sighted IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Unless you can quote them as having done so.
    oh must have mist that...woops! Well what did you think of my doodle firearms analogy earlier in the thread...my overall point there is unless you pay significant money for a 1911 your taking your chances on reliability...well ok for conversations' sake, what would you consider the bottom rung brand of 1911 that you could recommend as being reliable out of the box as say a glock, m&p, XD etc...? Honest question as I know you own several and have more experience than I on 1911's.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well.....it could be what was already said...something about people who don't know what there doing screwing with them and mucking them up. Maybe...?
    There are two types of folks in this world, those who put their own picture in their forum avatar with elephants to impress the ladies, and those who don't.

From my experience with 1911s, in honesty, I too had trouble with them. This summer, I decided to give them one more try. I purchased the Colt Gov model, and had trouble with feeding.

I consulted the experts here on the board, OD* and QKshooter, and in no time, it was working perfectly.

The trouble was the magazines springs were not up to specs because the supplier of the springs dropped the ball. I purchased high quality magazines by Wilson, and the issues disappeared.

Upon notifying Colt, they confirmed the problem, and promptly sent me new mags, which are steller in performance.

I ran a test of the Colt and Glock firing a total of 1000 rounds each, posted here. I had no issues with either gun. However, it was not meant to be an endurance test, but a test to see which was easier for follow up shots from different target presentations on the draw.

Lesson I learned is not to try and fix something you do not understand. Additionally, most every quality 1911 problem can be traced to magazines/ springs.

Buy a quality gun like a Colt, or Springfield, and leave the damn thing alone!

For this site, which is tame as far as the internet goes, things are getting out of control.

lol

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Links