In need of a "girl" gun

This is a discussion on In need of a "girl" gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Folks, when you're making recommendations, consider that she is having difficulty with the recoil on a full-size M&P 9mm, which is both a full-size gun ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: In need of a "girl" gun

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Folks, when you're making recommendations, consider that she is having difficulty with the recoil on a full-size M&P 9mm, which is both a full-size gun and which has a reputation as being a soft shooter.

Possibly a single-stack, full-size, all-steel 1911 in 9mm will have less recoil, but I think to get less recoil, you'll need a mid-frame or full-size gun in .380 ACP.

But my suggestion is just to practice with the M&P 9mm.
    Hakkaa päälle!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    sig p238 comes in 2 weights---the aluminum frame is 15.2 ounces.

the stainless frame is 20 ounces. make sure which you test fire and buy.
    the difference in re-coil is great between the two.

as you will likely have more than one gun in time, a Bersa thunder 380 is one that is nice to have; especially for purse carry.
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd suggest getting some professional training before you invest in any more guns. My guess is that you're feeling more recoil than you should because of an improper grip - something a good instructor could figure out and fix in minutes. Seriously - ask about instructors at a local range, gun shop or even police department. With a hundred bucks spent on instruction, you might find you can better handle the guns your already have.
    This is it a 9mm is about the base line for starter defense guns. You need some training. A 9mm should not "rock you back" with proper grip and stance. Its not a kock on you because you are a woman. You just need some body to help you. No shame in asking for it.
    Rugergirl likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Have to agree with what others have said already about the M&P 9. It was the first handgun I shot, and that first recoil shocked and intimidated me. My friend and I were at the range for the first time, and we had no experience at all. The RO had to come out and correct grip and stance. I'd highly recommend that you take a class.

The first few range visits resulted in a sore shoulder, hand. I started shooting with a padded cycling glove. But after more trips, and more familiarity with the M&P, that recoil became less noticeable. Part of it was a mental adjustment, and part was physical adjustment.

I carry a Glock 26, which has more recoil than the M&P. It doesn't bother me at all. (I'm a woman, average build, 5'5")

Give yourself and your gal some time to get used to shooting. It's not realistic to expect to get a gun and be comfortable enough to carry it right away if you have no experience with firearms. It was probably 6 months before I started actually carrying concealed. It does get less intimidating with time. :)
    varob likes this.

cj
    +5 on training! We had a little whisp of a mother of two in our club who took to the instructor's full load .44 magnum during his 'try out some different options' part of his class. The technique of shooting is far more important than being able to muscle the recoil down: it's going to recoil...having a good instructor show you how to deal with that fact is vital.

With all that, I'd bet the M&P would serve you just fine. And I also had a 9x18 similar to your P64 as a first pistol, and didn't find that design to be particularly fun to shoot.
    Rugergirl likes this.

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by ldell23 View Post
    I'm not actually from Montana; just moved here over a year ago. And the gun is for home. Basically, just looking for something to start out with that I can practice with. I think the more time I practice, the better I'll be with handling the guns.
    M&P 22

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

recoil is your friend. Don't be afraid of it because without it, you are shooting a pellet gun. Learn to control it, and you can master any pistol. You say the M&P jolted you back....try leaning into the target as
    opposed to standing totall erect. New shooters ususall stand completely erect or actually lean backward which makes the recoil seem worse and harder to control.

I've introduced several women to shooting, and they seemed to do well with:

Glock 19 9mm
    M&P 9C 9mm
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact 9mm

I would not go less than 9mm if the pistol is to be used for defensive purposes.
    Rugergirl likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Also, NEVER listen to any man about your gun. They will almost always suggest a mouse 380, .32 or a dumb .38spl snub nose.

You need to get to a range that rents the guns, and try a lot of them.

Take suggestions from men, but just that, SUGGESTIONS, never gospel.

My suggestion, the Kahr 9mm guns have very little kick due to a design they have. Very light on the kick. My wife loves her ruger LC9. It's 9mm, thin (less than 1"), so it's easy to conceal. She shoots it well, every range officer who heard bad things online tried it, and put all 7 rounds in a hole the size of a quarter. Very little kick to it.

Beyond the Kahrs and the Ruger LC9, try something with steel frame. The more weight, the less it beats your hands up.

Good luck.

Hint: in 9mm don't go above 115 grain bullets. Stay away from +p ammo. Use standard velocity loads.They are softer shooting rounds.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

My wife loves her Ruger LC9. Nice price, performs well. Only negative--mags are kind of scarce.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Google "Cornered Cat" and take a look around there. The author has some great advice on women and guns. I would also suggest working out to build muscle to handle the guns if you have trouble.
    Rugergirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slave View Post
    Also, NEVER listen to any man about your gun. They will almost always suggest a mouse 380, .32 or a dumb .38spl snub nose.

You need to get to a range that rents the guns, and try a lot of them.

Take suggestions from men, but just that, SUGGESTIONS, never gospel.

My suggestion, the Kahr 9mm guns have very little kick due to a design they have. Very light on the kick. My wife loves her ruger LC9. It's 9mm, thin (less than 1"), so it's easy to conceal. She shoots it well, every range officer who heard bad things online tried it, and put all 7 rounds in a hole the size of a quarter. Very little kick to it.

Beyond the Kahrs and the Ruger LC9, try something with steel frame. The more weight, the less it beats your hands up.

Good luck.
    Never? Thats a little extreme wouldn't you say? She just needs to find someone who doesn't talk down to her and will not lead her astray. Secondly, there is nothing at all wrong with a .380, .32, or a "dumb" .38 spl snubbie. They are all very viable defense rounds. While not the most powerful, they will work for SD, and can be had in very shootable platforms such as the P238 I mentioned earlier I am getting one for my wife and most likely as a pair cause I want one too, excellent little guns.
    Rugergirl likes this.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    Never? Thats a little extreme wouldn't you say? She just needs to find someone who doesn't talk down to her and will not lead her astray. Secondly, there is nothing at all wrong with a .380, .32, or a "dumb" .38 spl snubbie. They are all very viable defense rounds. While not the most powerful, they will work for SD, and can be had in very shootable platforms such as the P238 I mentioned earlier I am getting one for my wife and most likely as a pair cause I want one too, excellent little guns.
    The .38 special and 9x19mm are WIDELY held to be the minimum threshold of self defense calibers.
    Rugergirl likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'd suggest getting some professional training before you invest in any more guns. My guess is that you're feeling more recoil than you should because of an improper grip - something a good instructor could figure out and fix in minutes. Seriously - ask about instructors at a local range, gun shop or even police department. With a hundred bucks spent on instruction, you might find you can better handle the guns your already have.
    Everyone is talking hardware....gasmitty has the right answer. You really need training on proper grip, stance, trigger control, etc. start with a .22 for the basics. Move to a larger caliber when you've mastered the basics.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I have to agree with what others have said about training. Find a good instructor in your area.

My wife and a couple of her friends all shoot compact .45's and they all complain about the recoil of a 9mm, .40 and 357 Sig in many different makers and models. Learn to shoot then shoot everything you can get your hands on and find what fits you. Have fun.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links