Defensive Carry banner

In need of a "girl" gun

9K views 72 replies 61 participants last post by  xeero 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm very new to the world of handguns- well, guns in general. Due to the recent spike in crime in our area, my fiance decided that we need to start getting familiar with guns. We've been using a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm but it kinda jolts me back. I went shopping today, not really
understanding that much on guns, and I bought a P-64. I took this out today and it basically just killed my hands. It didn't jolt my body, but it kicked my hands pretty hard- to the point I couldn't shoot anymore.
So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any guns that are female friendly. I don't want a revolver and I want one that holds more than 6 rounds.
Also, I'll add that I have little hands and lack strength.
Thanks!!

#4 ·
I know you mentioned not wanting a revolver but if you are looking for very low recoil/flip you might want to consider a Rhino.
Chiappa Firearms

Due to the patented design of the Rhino it drastically reduces both recoil and muzzle flip which insures subsequent shots to be on target faster than ever before.

Below video shows the reduced recoil/flip of the Rhino
Chiappa Rhino - YouTube

Review of the Rhino
Chiappa Rhino Revolver Review

As stated above try to find that rents handguns to find on that suitable to you. Keep in mind, generally the shorter the barrel to more recoil/flip you will encounter.

#5 ·
You might consider a Taurus P638. It's a .380 so it has low recoil. The magazine holds 15 rounds. The slide is easy to manipulate. True the .380 doesn't have the power of a 9mm, but the high capacity compensates for that. The low recoil makes it something you can shoot comfortably so you will practice more and enjoy it more.

#6 ·
The Sig 238 is a Semi Auto 380 and has a 7 round mag IIRC + 1 in the chamber,I shot a buddys gun and could literally fire it rapid fire with minimal muzzle flip and recoil.I would highly recommend it,or find one to shoot first,if you ask around at a gun range I guarantee you that somebody will let you shoot theirs

Reactions: Rhcmlc
#28 ·
What he said. Perfect ladies gun, picking one up for my wife very soon.

#7 ·
Generally speaking a heavier gun will absorb more recoil. This means that steel guns and larger framed guns will often times be easier to shoot. One that fits your hand well will also make a tremendous difference in how it feels to shoot. For example, a couple of weeks ago, my wife and I tried a steel framed snub .38. It had little to no recoil, but the way it fit in my wife's hand caused it to pinch her palm and hurt like hell. The absolute best thing you can do is find a range with a decent supply of rentals and try them out. Eventually you will come across one that you really like. Failing that, go to a store with a good stock and see how they feel in your hand.

#8 ·
I suggest finding a good handgun trainer who can provide you with not only training, but also a variety of weapons to try during that training. There are too many variables to give you advice about specific guns over the web. For instance, you note you have small hands and lack strength. Small hands will dictate certain guns for trigger reach and controlability. Lack of strength may rule out certain pistols if you can't easily rack the slide. Not only is g the slide how you load the pistol, but it is how you clear many problems that arise during its use. If you can't easily rack the slide, I highly recommend that you do not carry it for self defense.

Find the right trainer, ask him/her to bring a bunch of weapons you can try and go from there. While this may cost a few $$$, it will be cheaper than buying guns til you find one you like.

#9 · (Edited)
More weight, softer grips, lighter ammo

The Polish P64 pistol that you were firing is a 22 ounce, all steel pistol with hard plastic grips firing the energetic 9mm Makarov cartridge. It uses the "blowback" design in which the barrel is fastened firmly to the frame of the gun, transmitting recoil directly to your hand as the gun fires. The Wikipedia entry on this gun describes it as having "harsh" recoil. So I am not surprised that it hurt your hand.

I believe the way to reduce felt recoil in a pistol is to select a heavier gun firing less energetic ammunition with soft rubber grips. And in semiauto pistols I would favor a barrel link or locking barrel design over a blowback design, as this spreads the recoil over a longer period of time and makes it feel softer. The lightest recoil will probably be from a .22 caliber all steel gun, but this caliber has poor stopping power for defensive use.

You might take a look at the Kahr K9 pistol, which is an all steel 9mm with soft rubber grips that weighs 25 ounces and has a locking barrel design. If you fire standard velocity 9mm ammo, the gun's recoil seems moderate to me, and the gun is small enough for easy concealment.

#29 ·
The Polish P64 pistol that you were firing is a 22 ounce, all steel pistol with hard plastic grips firing the energetic 9mm Makarov cartridge. It uses the "blowback" design in which the barrel is fastened firmly to the frame of the gun, transmitting recoil directly to your hand as the gun fires. The Wikipedia entry on this gun describes it as having "harsh" recoil. So I am not surprised that it hurt your hand.

I believe the way to reduce felt recoil in a pistol is to select a heavier gun firing less energetic ammunition with soft rubber grips. And in semiauto pistols I would favor a barrel link or locking barrel design over a blowback design, as this spreads the recoil over a longer period of time and makes it feel softer. The lightest recoil will probably be from a .22 caliber all steel gun, but this caliber has poor stopping power for defensive use.

You might take a look at the Kahr K9 pistol, which is an all steel 9mm with soft rubber grips that weighs 25 ounces and has a locking barrel design. If you fire standard velocity 9mm ammo, the gun's recoil seems moderate to me, and the gun is small enough for easy concealment.

Excellent, well thought out, informative, and accurate response. I agree with this. Plus, it is highly concealable.

#10 ·
Bersa Thunder .380 is a soft shooting accurate gun. I can't recall the round count, but I believe it is more than 6. I've shot a buddy's Bersa Thunder .380 quite a bit and I always found it a pleasure to shoot. It isn't the smallest, thinnest, or lightest but these characteristics also absorb recoil. Give it a look and find one you can shoot if at all possible. My local range has one in their rental cabinet.

#11 ·
Go with a heavier 9mm. My Sig P6 (Sig P225 or Sig P239 are the American version) is VERY easy to control. Single Stack 9mm. 8 rd mags came with it but you can get 9 round pro mag brand mags.

Reactions: bigmacque
#14 ·
As others have stated, you'll probably want to look into a pistol with all metal construction. I had a Sig P226 that was extremely easy to shoot seeing as it was a full-size pistol and had quite a bit of weight to it to absorb some of the recoil. You also may find that as you put more rounds down range, you become much more used to the recoil and can better manage it. Regardless, I wish you luck in your search for the right pistol.

#15 ·
Do like others have said, try before you buy. Even if you have to drive a ways to find a Range that rents Guns. you will be money ahead. As you take your time and try other Guns you will get used to the recoil. If you have a gun that fits your hand and dose not sting, the recoil won't bother you. Don't settle for something you do not like to practice with.

#16 ·
I can't believe a Montana girl saying that, but keep in mind that light guns kick harder; larger calibers kick harder; +P ammo kicks harder. Work around it. Is this firearm for home duty or carry duty?

While I don't consider a .380 a great caliber, I'm not going to argue with someone pointing one at me. Nor am I going to argue with a .38 special-armed individual. Both od these are suitaable for self defense and more on the milder side of recoil in comparison. It's tough to beat a .38 snubbie.

#22 ·
I'm not actually from Montana; just moved here over a year ago. And the gun is for home. Basically, just looking for something to start out with that I can practice with. I think the more time I practice, the better I'll be with handling the guns.

#18 ·
I'm not sure you will find a 9mm that is easier to control than your M&P and won't be a boat anchor. My recommendation would also be to get some training. A proper grip and stance can do wonders for you. My wife is tiny, 5'3" and 98 lbs soaking wet. She has small hands that aren't very strong, yet she can easily handle any of my handguns including a friends S&W 340sc airlight 357 (12oz unloaded). Her main carry gun is an LC9 (small light 9mm with thin hard plastic grip).

#21 ·
Have you looked at different grip panels for your M&P? It could help, or weighting the grips may also help. You may look for a harder recoil spring, if it hits the rear stop and jolts. I am not sure if they make downloaded ammo for you to use at the range until you build up strength and resistance in your hands against the standard ammunition. Our range does not have any rental guns, but anyone out there will usually let you shot theirs if you are shopping, and occasionally people will end up selling theirs or trading for yours. See what fits, and then feel how different guns shoot, if you are just trying others, try as many as you can before just steeling again.

You may look at a CZ-85, they are in 9mm PB(Luger), but they are a full framed steel pistol, and the 85 is ambidextrous, the 75 is pretty much the same thing, just not ambidextrous.

Look between a .22 to a 9mm Luger.

#23 ·
Thanks everyone! I wish I would've done my research before going out to by a gun. And we do have a range here, but we live so far out from everything that no one is ever actually at the range. Most of the people here find other areas to go shooting. I did shoot a friends .22 revolver and I handled it great. But like everyone is saying, it's not
the best for self defense. I'll be spending the week researching the guns everyone listed. Thanks!

#24 ·
The Chiappa Rhino has the least recoil of any .357 I have seen or used, but it is pricey--- $700 +. You should try one, but I doubt if any ranges have them except to sell.Look at the videos people have listed and you will be amazed. And good luck: you're bound to find a gun that is right for you.:image035:

#25 ·
We've been using a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm but it kinda jolts me back. I went shopping today, not really
understanding that much on guns, and I bought a P-64. I took this out today and it basically just killed my hands. It didn't jolt my body, but it kicked my hands pretty hard- to the point I couldn't shoot anymore.
I'd suggest getting some professional training before you invest in any more guns. My guess is that you're feeling more recoil than you should because of an improper grip - something a good instructor could figure out and fix in minutes. Seriously - ask about instructors at a local range, gun shop or even police department. With a hundred bucks spent on instruction, you might find you can better handle the guns your already have.

#33 ·
This is it a 9mm is about the base line for starter defense guns. You need some training. A 9mm should not "rock you back" with proper grip and stance. Its not a kock on you because you are a woman. You just need some body to help you. No shame in asking for it.

Reactions: Rugergirl
#26 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Gratuitous safety reminder:
Protect the trigger guard with a straight trigger finger aligned with the bore and keep said finger and bore always pointed in a safe direction.

Your M&P 9mm will be ideal for your stated purpose. I suggest you spend some time just holding it to make your hand bond with it. Practice locking your wrist, so the gun doesn't flip up. Practice tension in your shoulder, so the gun doesn't come back. Decide to dominate it, and a sweeter shooter will be hard to find.

Reactions: Bark'n
#27 ·
Actually, my fiance is supposed to go pick up her M&P 9c this afternoon. Unfortunately, none of the local stores had one we could test fire before buying, but it fits her hand perfectly with the small backstrap, and she loves the fact that she can carry with 12+1 and also have 17+1 ready to go when she gets home by putting a full size magazine in it.

Really, any high quality firearm will do, so long as you can hold it correctly, handle the recoil, are accurate with it, and have time to train with it. I'm also not a fan of most calibers under 9mm in semi-auto or .38 special in a revolver, but you to have to work with what you're capable of shooting.

Good luck in your search! :wave:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.