In need of a "girl" gun

This is a discussion on In need of a "girl" gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here are some excellent videos on stance , grip , sights and trigger . Don't discount a .45 as the recoil is less snappy than ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: In need of a "girl" gun

Here are some excellent videos on stance, grip, sights and trigger. Don't discount a .45 as the recoil is less snappy than a .40 - the smallest lady I know carries one, she's 4'8". The correct grip and stance will make all the difference in whatever you shoot. One problem I see with new shooters is trying to force the sight picture. Get a basic sight picture and then focus on the top edge of the front sight. You brain will naturally want to line up the front and rear sights so they form a horizontal line at the top and so the front sight is centered in the rear notch - trust me on this.

2. Remove Ads

My wife just loves the Walther P-1 I got her. One of the late models with the heavy slide and steel pin in the frame. It fits her hand perfectly.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

You don't say why you don't want a revolver. While respecting that, I think my 6" S&W 686+ is one of the sweetest shooting guns I've ever had (it does have an S&W gunsmith trigger job). And would have at least a chance at stopping a bear.

Since this is for home, look to the folks who've suggested some of the heavier guns. They're going to absorb the impact better before it gets to your hands. Although your local range is not well frequented, I'd expect that Montana neighbors, distant as they can be geographically, will be welcoming and open to letting you try their stuff. Get to know people. Shoot lots of stuff. Don't buy another "what if" gun until you feel properly informed.
    Rugergirl likes this.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Many have given some good advice(and some not so good). Before the caliber debate goes any further, I'll share some of my experiences. To begin, I an a small woman(5'4" 125 lbs) ans can shoot just about anything you put in my hands up to and including the Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum. I have been around guns most of my life and have always liked them.
    I'm partial to a heavier steel framed revolver than I am a lighter gun or a semi-auto. My daily carry gun is normally a Smith & Wesson Model 653 inch barrel loaded with .357 ammo, and I have no problem with recoil or accuracy with this gun.
    The best advice I can offer as you get started is training, like others have mentioned. Learn how to hold the gun, and how to stand, as well as shooting from a seated position. If you're using the gun for home defense you may well be seated when you need to use it, practice that too.
    Try a squeeze ball to work on developing hand strength( I have very strong hands, and work to keep them strong).
    Trying other people's guns is a great idea as well, but after you've had some training and become stronger and generally more comfortable shooting in general. If you know others who will let you shoot with them, try as many as you can before you decide on "your" gun.
    Reading the book Stressfire, by M. Ayoob will help a lot with grip and stance.
    And, remember, guns are like shoes, you can never have to many and they all fit differently
    ldell23 and Spec like this.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

In need of a "girl" gun

My CM9 is a "girl".

She runs great and handles the 9mm with ease, give um a look, or a test run and you might be surprised.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

sgb
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    Whatever you say...But I don't see you providing any proof...and if that was the case they wouldn't be so popular as carry guns. If YOU don't want to carry it as a defensive round then don't; but don't try and sway others' decisions because of some convoluted view you have.
    WOW ...... talk about being an , and an uneducated one at that. Ignorance can be overcome with education but it's said you can't fix stupid.

BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Only by those who don't know any better.
    Please See above oh Knowledgeable one.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    WOW ...... talk about being an , and an uneducated one at that. Ignorance can be overcome with education but it's said you can't fix stupid.

BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Please See above oh Knowledgeable one.
    I'm fairly new here, but that's the first post I've seen with that sort of tone. It sure looks counter to forum rules (#2), but I'm no moderator/admin. The post that it responds to was challenging and confrontational, but didn't resort to personal invective.

It's interesting that one of the articles cited off-handedly dismisses .357 mag as a defensive round and that both can be read as suggesting that 9mm is the true entry level round due to non-expansion of .38/.38+P.

But what do I know?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

My fiancee is VERY recoil sensitive. After shooting just about every handgun imaginable, we almost settled on a Walther P22. Then by the grace of god, Walther released the PK380. She fell in love. Light recoil (almost like a .22), 9 rounds total of .380 ACP, and is a perfect size for smaller hands. It helped get her into shooting, and now she is very proficient in handling and shooting a wide range of firearms.

Fast forward a year or two, and she regularly shoots our two Sig P226s, one with Houge grips and the other with E2. This gun has as much recoil as anything else we own other than our 1911, but she liked it. I'd give the Sig a shot as well.

Smile

3913/Ladysmith... is this a "girl-gun"?
    Attached Images
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ldell23 View Post
    Hello everyone! I'm very new to the world of handguns- well, guns in general. Due to the recent spike in crime in our area, my fiance decided that we need to start getting familiar with guns. We've been using a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm but it kinda jolts me back. I went shopping today, not really
    understanding that much on guns, and I bought a P-64. I took this out today and it basically just killed my hands. It didn't jolt my body, but it kicked my hands pretty hard- to the point I couldn't shoot anymore.
    So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any guns that are female friendly. I don't want a revolver and I want one that holds more than 6 rounds.Also, I'll add that I have little hands and lack strength.
    Thanks!!
    The 9x18 makarov round is actually just a bit weaker than a 9mm and the P-64 is a pretty light gun.

Since you can't grow your hands and probably can't build up your strength too quickly you need to go with a heavier gun
    in a medium powered caliber.

Frankly , a 4 inch barrel .38 special would be about perfect as a house gun.

Do you plan on shooting the bad guys more than 6 times?
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Form, form form. It overcomes a lot of things. Everyone says a women can't shoot a 12 ga 18" barrel. Tell that to my wife. That's what she has for the house. And though she can't shoot it all day, she loves shooting it. When she listened to me about her form, the recoil became much more manageable. Look into the thumbs forward grip for semi autos. It's a very solid grip. Sometimes your hand is getting beat up because the grip is loose, allowing the gun to move too much. Not because the recoil is that bad. And keep practicing.

The Combat Grip

The Thumbs Forward Grip That Gives Awesome Recoil Management (VIDEO) - Gun News at Guns.com
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by El_Chupacabr View Post
    My fiancee is VERY recoil sensitive. After shooting just about every handgun imaginable, we almost settled on a Walther P22. Then by the grace of god, Walther released the PK380.
    Went looking at a PK380 the other day and looove it. I think I'm going to order it next week. =]
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

Let us know how you like it. I've been looking for a gun for a friend who is pretty recoil sensitive. We didn't try the pk380, but she liked the p99. Will probably try the pk380 and sig p238 next though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links