Carry rig finally finished, maybe......

This is a discussion on Carry rig finally finished, maybe...... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I finally put the finishing cosmetic touches on my LW Commander now that I slowly finished the rest of it. It started out as ...

Thread: Carry rig finally finished, maybe......

Well I finally put the finishing cosmetic touches on my LW Commander now that I slowly finished the rest of it. It started out as a used Series 80 in parkerized finish that I bought off my son who had also bought it used back in the 80's. Looked like it had been someones carry gun as it had holster wear but seemed to have not been fired alot.

It would feed ball fairly dependably but choked on hollow points of any kind and even occasionally on ball. Since then it has been throated, ramp polished, beaver tail installed, Wilson 8 rounders fitted to gun, trigger job (gosh what a difference a good trigger makes) with a longer aluminum trigger and an action job that left it very smooth despite the series 80 parts. It functioned much better after all that but still disliked hollow points. The culprit was finally found to be the mag catch. It showed some wear so got replaced with a new one that held the magazines a few thousandths higher. What a difference! Last but not least I made a set of thin profile Bocote grips and just had Ford's Gun Refinishing apply a matte black hard chrome. I wanted simple, functional and non reflective and seem to have achieved that. These days it's stoked with 160 gr +P EFMJ or 230 gr Gold Dots. Second clip is 230 gr ball. Now if I can only resist the urge to tinker!

Sorry for the quality of the photo's. Photography is NOT one of the things I'm good at!

The holster is a Sam Andrews McDaniel II. Love it, very comfortable for all day carry. Holds the butt tight against the body and it's adjusted with alot of rake just like I like it.

The knife is one of my own and the flashlight is a Surefire G2 with a P61 head.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ELCruisr; August 27th, 2006 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Posting better pictures!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Nice looking piece!

VIP Member
    Pretty

VIP Member
    Nice looking Colt. As for the pictures, try finding and downloading IrfanView. Has some good tools. Here is one of your photos that I used the sharpen tool and the enhance color tool on. In the enhance color I actually reduced the red and the green slightly. A few more minutes and it would have looked even better.

I find that digital photos seem to almost always have a little too much green.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

What pouch do you have there for your G2? I have been looking for a decent carry method for mine. I'd preferred bezel-up carry in the back pocket but since it doesn't come with a clip (and nobody seems to make one) I think I'm pretty much limited to on-the-belt pouches. How do you like yours?

Quote Originally Posted by gunmetal View Post
    What pouch do you have there for your G2? I have been looking for a decent carry method for mine. I'd preferred bezel-up carry in the back pocket but since it doesn't come with a clip (and nobody seems to make one) I think I'm pretty much limited to on-the-belt pouches. How do you like yours?
    I had Andrews Custom Leather make mine. They are not on his website but he does make them on request. I had him make mine with a snapped loop but he will also do them with a clip or fixed belt loop if I remember correctly. I'm very happy with mine and I find I prefer bezel up for the way I draw the light.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/

BTW his price was very reasonable.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Love those grips!
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Better pictures!

OK, I tried again with the camera and software and reposted some better pics. Thanks to dr_cmg for the color tips, you're right about too much green!

Also showed a pic of me wearing uncovered and covered. The Andrews holster I had made is rough side out and not the prettiest showpiece but wears great and stays put!

BTW if any of you want to make some bocote grips I have some really nice air dried (NOT kiln dried) pieces I might let someone have for a good deal or trade. Air drying now for about ten years. I know it's the wrong place to post it but it's just a side thought!

fm2
    Nice looking rig. Love the grips!

Sponsored Links