40's or 9's ?

This is a discussion on 40's or 9's ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like them both. I'm currently carrying a .40 S&W Glock 23, but for the six months prior, I was carrying a 9x19mm Glock 19. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 40's or 9's ?

I like them both.

I'm currently carrying a .40 S&W Glock 23, but for the six months prior, I was carrying a 9x19mm Glock 19.

.40 S&W gives more desirable terminal ballistics through intermediate barriers such as heavy clothing, plywood, auto glass, etc., whereas 9x19mm is somewhat easier to control with one/off hand shooting. (I used to say 9x19mm was much easier to control, but the new dual recoil spring in the Gen 4 Glocks has leveled the playing field).

Capacity is a toss up. 9x19mm usually has two more rounds than .40 S&W, but it's not all that important in my view. 13+1 for the Glock 23 and 15+1 for the Glock 19. According to a study done by the D.O.J., +90% of gunfights involving federal agents are within 10 feet with 3 to 5 shots fired.

Cost - 9x19mm FMJ practice ammo is really, really cheap. Premium .40 S&W JHP defense ammo is cheap if you can find government/LE overrun contracts such as 50 rds - 40 Cal Federal HST 180 Grain Government Contract Ammo XM40HC | SGAmmo.com or 50 rds - 40 cal Winchester Ranger 180 gr Bonded Hollow Point ammo Z Q4355 | SGAmmo.com . However, it's much cheaper to train often with 9x19mm than it is .40 S&W.

My best advice is to shoot both with your desired weapons platform and go from there. Some people really don't like the recoil of the .40 S&W, and I was in that camp until I got my hands on a Gen 4 Glock.
    ironmike86 likes this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar
    My G27 (40cal) is as accurate as any 9mm out there

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    ironmike86 likes this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Ammo price and availability, round capacity, performance history and rounds fired per year were all factors which led me back to the 9mm.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

get a glock .40 and then you can get a 9 mm barrel and shoot both
    Badey likes this.

Used to shoot both, now I only shoot 9s; ammo is cheaper, capacity is higher and less recoil = quicker follow up shots.
    Ruger: SR9, SR9C
    S&W: M&P Shield 9mm, M&P 15 Sport
    Glock: G20 SF

Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

I have 9mm's, .40 and .45. For defensive purpose, against a human any of the will do. As for bear, I wouldn't trust any of them to stop one. As a bare minimum, I'd opt for a .357, but would prefer a .44 Mag.
    Toorop likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I prefer the 9mm myself. It is cheaper to shoot. I can carry more rounds. And there really is not a significant difference between the two calibers.

We all know the correct answer is to get both!!!! You will eventually anyway so pick one now and one with your next paycheck. Then post pictures here and report back on range performance ASAP
    ironmike86 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I feel either will do fine for personal defence. If the shooter does there part. Like practice and shot placement. Of course the caliber wars rage on. As far as bear country goes a 22 will do just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like hell. No really in bear country give me a bazooka.
    ironmike86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Ask yourself two questions;:

1. What do I shoot most accurately
    2. What can I afford to shoot

Then you will have your answer.
    This guy speaks the truth.

Not much to add,everyone pretty much summed up my .02. Gotta say though lke a couple others did- both are not bear calibers. I carry a 357 mag here,which I think is even borderline for Blackies. I lived in Alaska for several years-up there,fellers would laugh at anything less than 44mags. Shotguns fed with slugs were and still are popular. Another topic though....
    If you are gonna get into handguns,just realize the sickness will set in. Pretty soon you wont even post "which one".You'll own em both!!
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

I have never been a big fan of .40 S&W because I do not shoot it as well as 9mm or .45. However, of the all the 40's I've shot including Glock, HK and Sig, I found the softest shooting and easiest to control for me was the M&P full size, you ought to try one if you can

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    get a glock .40 and then you can get a 9 mm barrel and shoot both
    I agree with this point all the way. You can get a conversion to 9mm barrell for many of the popular fire arms chambered in .40.
    In the end, considering modern sd ammo, youre fine with either. But dont rule out the .45 acp. If youre worried about managing the gun, think of it this way: Some people learn how to play guitar with their feet. You can learn to handle double taps with a .45

Its all gonna come down to training and preference.

S&W makes three levels of polymer pistols. The Sigma which is their lower quality, the SD the mid-range and the M&P which is top of the line. You get what you pay for. I prefer .40 caliber, but with proper ammo, the 9mm should be ok.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links