40's or 9's ?

40's or 9's ?

This is a discussion on 40's or 9's ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok I have been around guns enough and really into the compound archery (Mathews Z7 Mag) and Im looking into the handgun thing. Im leaning ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 40's or 9's ?

40's or 9's ?

Ok I have been around guns enough and really into the compound archery (Mathews Z7 Mag) and Im looking into the handgun thing. Im leaning towards the S&W Sigma 40 but the 9mm is out there as well. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks in advanced. By the way Im in Up-State NY if that matters and would be using for home defense and the occasional "back -up " in bear country. Yes I know about that "law".

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    If you know anybody that owns one or both, if not try a range that rents guns. Shoot both...see which you like and/or can control the best.
    It all boils down to personal preference.
    I carry/shoot a 9 and my best friend carries/shoots a .40... mine is an M&P, and his is a Sigma.
    Really not all that much difference.
    Just my 2 cent opinion.

Personally I don't think either is potent enough for bear country, I would consider .357 Mag a minimum for bears and a .41 or .44 mag all the better
    gorilla45 likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There are probably like 10-15 recent threads on this very subject. They will have a lot of good opinions, so check them out. Either is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    If you know anybody that owns one or both, if not try a range that rents guns. Shoot both...see which you like and/or can control the best.
    It all boils down to personal preference.
    I carry/shoot a 9 and my best friend carries/shoots a .40... mine is an M&P, and his is a Sigma.
    Really not all that much difference.
    Just my 2 cent opinion.
    My impression is that the Sigma is not in the same league as the M&P. As I recall, the Sigma is a blatant copy of the Glock (for which S&W was sued and lost) and features a heavy, crunchy trigger whereas the M&P is a new, thoroughly modern design.
    Budget notwithstanding, I'd aim for either caliber in a slightly better model, for what it's worth.
    gorilla45 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilt View Post
    Ok I have been around guns enough and really into the compound archery (Mathews Z7 Mag) and Im looking into the handgun thing. Im leaning towards the S&W Sigma 40 but the 9mm is out there as well. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks in advanced. By the way Im in Up-State NY if that matters and would be using for home defense and the occasional "back -up " in bear country. Yes I know about that "law".
    I personally prefer the .40; it packs more punch.

I just did a search and seen the ******* matches (LOL). WOW! I think Ill go shoot it for what it worth Thanks Again!

I was a 9mm guy all the way. I started looking in to the 40 and found that I felt it did deserve a place in the line-up, so I added one. I really like how the G23 shoots. I was able to drive nails with it, and like having just a bit more punch than the 9mm. Either is more than adequate given the right shot placement.

Senior Moderator
    Hi Hilt, and welcome to the Forum. I have three 9mms and no .40 S&Ws but like the notion of the .40 better than I do the 9mm.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
    My impression is that the Sigma is not in the same league as the M&P. As I recall, the Sigma is a blatant copy of the Glock (for which S&W was sued and lost) and features a heavy, crunchy trigger whereas the M&P is a new, thoroughly modern design.
    Budget notwithstanding, I'd aim for either caliber in a slightly better model, for what it's worth.
    Sorry, I guess the way I said that didn't make it clear. I didn't mean there wasn't much difference between the Sigma and M&P. I meant there wasn't that much difference between the calibers. Personally I think there is a huge difference between the two weapons, especially the triggers. Granted I had a trigger job done on my M&P but the Sigma I shot had a horrible trigger. A ton of pre-travel and was honestly @ 14-16 lbs.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a S&W sigma 40....I looked at the M&P but didn't see $200 difference...the sigma trigger is stiff but I have modified it by removing three spring and replacing two of them...now it has the same pull as the M&P....I have shot over 500 rounds through it without any FTE's or FTF,s....The 9mm Luger is a good gun as is the 40 S&W...shot placement is the deciding factor, not necessary the caliber....

he trigger pull on a new sigma averages in at 11-5 lb. no where near the 14-16 lb...mine is 6 lb after the mods to the trigger and striker. The mods cost me a total of $15.00....the advantage of buying a glock or m&P is that you get to spend a lot more money for a little bit of improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Sorry, I guess the way I said that didn't make it clear. I didn't mean there wasn't much difference between the Sigma and M&P. I meant there wasn't much difference between the calibers. Personally I think there is a huge difference between the two weapons, especially the triggers. Granted I had a trigger job done on my M&P but the Sigma I shot had a horrible trigger. A ton of pre-travel and was honestly @ 14-16 lbs.

VIP Member
    9MM, or go to the 45

Ask yourself two questions;:

1. What do I shoot most accurately

2. What can I afford to shoot

Then you will have your answer.
    Rhcmlc likes this.

Any of the current defense calibers - 9mm, 40S&W, .357 SIG or .45ACP - will serve you well.
    While I carry a .45 most of the time, the 9mm works just fine with modern hollowpoint ammo. Any of them are good, provided you hit what you aim at. One reason I do like the 9mm is the relative cheapness of practice ammo and light recoil, which allows you quick followup shots. I reload, so shooting the .45 doesn't drain my meager bank account terribly. But if you don't handload, I'd highly recommend the 9mm and a quality firearm. And then practice, practice, practice!

Not all but most people can shoot the 9mm caliber slightly more accurately than the 40s&w caliber. Also the 9mm is two to four dollars cheaper in target ammo.
    DefConGun likes this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links