The Kahr CM9 performance opinion

This is a discussion on The Kahr CM9 performance opinion within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; [B]FINALLY[B] Went to test out my new CM 9 on my own. Today on my off day after I finished my work out at Gold's ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By patrol

Thread: The Kahr CM9 performance opinion

The Kahr CM9 performance opinion

[B]FINALLY[B] Went to test out my new CM 9 on my own. Today on my off day after I finished my work out at Gold's gym I decided why not go and see my old buddies at my local "indoor" range to test out my latest conquest. I am fond of my J frame. But I wanted a "pocket gun and back up "on duty" firearm to carry for life saving use when retention of my primary firearm is either in progress or a lost effort during a struggle. One of the realities of this job I love so much. Just recently an acquaintance I have known for years who works for the State Police in the area I have worked in for over seventeen years had a front seat struggle where the nut bag grabbed his firearm and had he not gotten his back up weapon and killed the attacker he would be in the dirt as he was still shot with his own duty weapon. This incident made me think twice about not taking advantage of carrying not just a knife as a back up weapon. Question was .380acp vs others..I never have liked that caliber. Both for performance or for the cost of the ammo which is the same cost as a box of 45acp ammo. The size of the majority of .380's is hard to ignore though. So when i was at our Police Discount store I handled the LCP Ruger the Keltec 3AT (CLASSIC model that Bill Ruger copied) the Sig P238 and the Kahr PM and CM 9mm. Not enough difference in dimensions for me to sacrifice not going with the 9mm. The CM price tag with my law enforcement discount at $417 also helped me make my decision. Being familiar with the quality of a Kahr firearm after previously owning a P40 for off-duty carry which i regrettably sold to a buddy I had no hesitation in grabbing up this CM 9. ANYWHO.......Today I ran down to our indoor range where on Wednesday's Cops can shoot for free but ofcourse you have to by their ammo. I used my own regular qualification targets and bought two hundred rounds of federal full metal jacket 115 grain ammo. I shot four relays or targets whichever you prefer. The first strand of fire was combat shooting. Shooting no less than two rounds at a time "double tap" and the majority of the time "three rounds" at a time as fast as I could as accurately as I could...half head half body center mass. First off the single sheet metal magazine that comes with the Kahr like many handguns to include even the by god expensive "Kimber" hand-guns was sheet metal ****...sharp edges and consistently you would have to re-seat the top round once you ejected the magazine out for admin loads to top off the firearm so you had seven rounds to shoot. This like I already mentioned is not that big of a deal. Of all the firearms I have the only out of the box handgun that comes with a pure quality magazine is Springfield Armory and Sig Sauer. Mecgar makes Sig's magazines for them but Springfield just does an excellent job with their XD models....BACK ON SUBJECT..The standard Kahr magazine served it's purpose as I had no problems related to performance during a single shot fired today.

The second relay of strand of fire was slower one shot at a time for accuracy. The CM shot point of aim point of impact. Dead on very tight groups and very impressive. THE RECOIL AND BLAST FACTOR that tend to cause shooter "flinch" a fact of life no matter how disciplined you think you may be over a period of a hundred rounds does effect the human body. Breathing of course and for me pushing forward as i bend my knees slightly improves this factor. In the case of the CM today it was NON-EXISTENT. Even with my big ape like meaty hands hanging well below the grip of this little rocket. I shot out the little circle as well to the right of the primary target, coincidentally we use the "Q" Targets for qual and since I am a Firearm's Instructor I always have an extra twenty of so in my truck.

The Third relay/strand of fire was back to fast combat shooting only this time i included my off-hand only and some off-hand or "weakhand" supported for those who don't know the ling for me It would be my left hand. In my field you should always try and master shooting with both hands in-case during a gunfight you loose the use of one.

The fourth and final fifty rounds of course was back to accuracy though I picked up the pace. The advantage to making the last relay accuracy related one at a time is by now the barrel was cooking hot" and I like to see how much if any the little pocket gun would loose accuracy when coming out of a cooking hot port...No accuracy was lost..tight groups as accurate as the human can put em down.
    AWESOME LITTLE POCKET GUN....I highly recommend this to anyone who is looking for something they want to carry in their pocket or a purse to save their lives.

Now the next thing I need to do is find a place to order a bunch of magazines so my fingers don't get ripped to shreds trying to load and reload for a fifty round course using a six round sheet metal single magazine. The next time I use this little rocket will be to qualify with it at work to carry as a back up weapon..It will not "replace" my Jframe but it definitely fits better in my body armor where I need it. Digging a back up weapon out of your upper throat chest area during a struggle while trying to retain your duty weapon is easier to do than trying to get to an ankle holster...just my opinion..and the J frame is perfect for an ankle carry back up..

thank you
    Cory1022 and Philly Boy like this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

2. Remove Ads

I have one also, awesome little weapon.
    "Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."--Ronald Reagan

Awesome to read. I had saw them online but never checked one out. I got the chance yesterday and it jumped to the top of my must get list. I was looking at the LCP, but with the CM9 being on slightly bigger, having the same initial capacity, 9mm over .380 and the option of 8rd spare mags what is not to like? I really like the trigger as well. Around here the CM9 is going for around $450 or so.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Excellent review, enjoyed the read. I agree, the CM9 is a great little carry 9mm. IMO, if the thing had pined iron sights instead of the polymer ones, I'd say it was a "perfect" small carry piece. I've read and seen pics of a couple and, actually purchased a used E-9 that had the front sight melt off.

Anyway, glad you're experience with the new Kahr is a good one. Mine is pretty much the same, although I'm sure you gave yours a better workout than I gave mine; however mine was flawless, but at a much slower pace.

Again, great review and thanks for your service to your community.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks. About to buy one myself for the wife.

Update

Update...two days ago on my off days I took the CM9 out to the country and wanted to see how well it did still dirty from previous testing. I did however run a bore snake through the barrel but other than that it was grody nasty carbon full of grime.
    This time I only shot 100 rounds. For you folks that have a place outside to shoot, I recommend you go to your local Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a Real Estate signs then get you those big monster clips they sell or even cheapo wood close pins are fine then you have a target system that is cheap. You just hang your targets using the pins and you don't even need a backing.

Back on point. I shot 50 rounds fast not carrying at all about accuracy at all as fast as the little rocket would go...even some index finger in the trigger guard "fast slap" cowboy crap a friend of mine taught me...just make sure you tuck your shooting arm tight into your body as you do it for safety. The purpose of this hotdog type of shooting was to get the barrel hot fast as it was already filthy..make it more filthy

ok so now I had the CM dirty and hot...I shot the last 50 rounds as slow and concentrated as I could one shot at a time, center mass head...center mass body...not one single malfunction and all very accurate groups that didn't wander despite the hot barrel and fouling I know existed within same.

Good enough for me..like I said before..next stop...off duty qualification day so I can carry this bad boy as a back up on duty..
    Last edited by patrol; April 5th, 2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: bolding title
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Like mine more and more since I hit the 200 rnds plus category and dumped the 7 rnd mags for the standard 6 rnds. I now have 5 mags and expect that should be enough for now; however, I think I'm going to take a clue from TV's "Doomsday Preppers" and buy more large capacity mags for my G19! Good shooting, all.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Links