Warranty Work With Colt

This is a discussion on Warranty Work With Colt within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just sent my Colt Defender back to Colt for warranty work. That's not the shocking part. I sent it Fed Ex, and the shipping ...

Thread: Warranty Work With Colt

Warranty Work With Colt

I just sent my Colt Defender back to Colt for warranty work. That's not the shocking part. I sent it Fed Ex, and the shipping charge was $77.00! I did insure it, but was told that cost only four dollars. According the Fed Ex rules, all firearms must be shipped priority overnight delivery. But $77.00?!? I only hope that Colt picks up the return charge. Next time maybe I try UPS. Just thought I would pass this on.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    UPS isn't going to be much cheaper. They both rape you when it comes to shipping guns.

Just curious, did you ask Colt for a prepaid return label? When I had to have work done on my Springfield, they e-mailed me a prepaid label, I just had to print it out and attach to the package.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

When I talked to customer service, they told me that I had to send it in. They never offered, nor, I admit, did I ask them about a pre-paid label. I guess I should have thought of that and pressed my argument. I know with companies like Rock River Arms, they handle everything without cost to the customer.
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

I just got my Colt Commander, Wiley Clapp addition back after buying it brand new and sending it in because it jammed up often.. They charged me $33 shipping and I shot just 6 mags and had a jam. I'm selling it. They had it for over a month and it still won't run good.

Administrator
    Sometimes you're far better off (with any firearm) to have a local registered gunsmith take a look at it. If a jamming problem is a very minor problem (as it usually is) then a registered smith can switch out or tune an extractor or polish a breech face without voiding a factory warranty. Most manufacturers will (off the record) cut you a break on you having done that if you ultimately need to send the firearm back for a possible major problem.

Regarding jamming problems with a 1911. Here are the possible most common causes.

The Extractor

Chatter marks on the breech face

Barrel overhanging or exactly even with the frame feed ramp

The barrel needing a throat job

The barrel chamber needing to be polished

Magazine incompatability

Specific brand of ammo incompatability

A too strong or too weak recoil spring

Rough slide rails or the slide too tight on the frame

Most of those you can make a quick visual determination on yourself in a minimum amount of time.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I sent a Defender back to Colt because it threw brass toward my face & head; 10 weeks later when I got it back, it still threw brass at my head. Colt CS told me that brass to the head was my fault, allegedly I was not holding the pistol correctly. Really..... BS. I sold it.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I sent a Defender back to Colt because it threw brass toward my face & head; 10 weeks later when I got it back, it still threw brass at my head. Colt CS told me that brass to the head was my fault, allegedly I was not holding the pistol correctly. Really..... BS. I sold it.
    This was my problem. Last week at the range, I had to leave the firing line at the request of the Range officer to wipe away the blood that was flowing down my forehead from ejected casings. I took a picture of my forehead, with numerous cuts extremely evident, and included it in my cover letter to Colt. My shooting glasses were significantly scratched as well. I also commented in the letter that I now consider this a product safety issue, especially for someone shooting without safety glasses. Also anticipating a response that "you don't know how to shoot" from Colt, i also mentioned that I am a Certified NRA Instructor with over 40 years shooting experience. I will see what happens. If the problem is not fixed, i will go on line and file a complaint with the US Product Safety Commission, if I have that name right.
    --Wyatt Earp

-- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Sometimes you're far better off (with any firearm) to have a local registered gunsmith take a look at it. If a jamming problem is a very minor problem (as it usually is) then a registered smith can switch out or tune an extractor or polish a breech face without voiding a factory warranty. Most manufacturers will (off the record) cut you a break on you having done that if you ultimately need to send the firearm back for a possible major problem.

Regarding jamming problems with a 1911. Here are the possible most common causes.

The Extractor

Chatter marks on the breech face

Barrel overhanging or exactly even with the frame feed ramp

The barrel needing a throat job

The barrel chamber needing to be polished

Magazine incompatability

Specific brand of ammo incompatability

A too strong or too weak recoil spring

Rough slide rails or the slide too tight on the frame

Most of those you can make a quick visual determination on yourself in a minimum amount of time.
    I agree with what you're saying. I first sent it to a local smith and when I got it back it was worse then when I sent it. Significantly worse. Then i sent it to Colt I'm just not knowledgeable enough on the format to tinker with them. Plus I spent a lot of money on it and I feel like it should run well without any work done to it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    CDNN charges much less when shipping firearms via the same method. Sounds like some $ grabbing going on.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sent my Commander to Wilson Combat rather than Colt... $50 shipping and Wilson charged me $250 for a series 80 reliability package, new firing pin, FP spring, FP block. Ran like a champ ever since.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Administrator
    I agree with what you're saying. I first sent it to a local smith and when I got it back it was worse then when I sent it.

That's sad but, it's the way of the world sometimes these days I guess. Most registered gunsmiths that are very familiar with the 1911 can "hand cycle" a magazine full of DUMMY rounds through a 1911 and pretty much know exactly what is causing a simple jamming FTF type problem after doing that.
    The guy you got must have been pretty doggone bad.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I agree with what you're saying. I first sent it to a local smith and when I got it back it was worse then when I sent it.

That's sad but, it's the way of the world sometimes these days I guess. Most registered gunsmiths that are very familiar with the 1911 can "hand cycle" a magazine full of DUMMY rounds through a 1911 and pretty much know exactly what is causing a simple jamming FTF type problem after doing that.
    The guy you got must have been pretty doggone bad.
    You are correct. Extremely nice guy, Dessert Storm vet, carries an old Colt Commander himself. He felt terrible when it was worse and he actually sent it to Colt for me. Colt had it for so long I was very optimistic it would run good but not so much.

Links