Choices Choices Choices - Page 2

Choices Choices Choices

This is a discussion on Choices Choices Choices within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; M&P 9C Glock 26 Glock 19 I would really suggest you hold an M&P 9C before you make any decisions because you will like the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Choices Choices Choices

M&P 9C
    Glock 26
    Glock 19

I would really suggest you hold an M&P 9C before you make any decisions because you will like the way it melts into your hand.....this advice coming from a total Glock Fanboy. The M&P's all shoot like steel guns and are superbly accurate and reliable. Glocks are just Glocks. Reliable, accurate, low maintenance, but are a bit "blocky" for some. I really don't notice anymore since I've been shooting them forever. BTW, my EDC is either a Glock 19 or Glock 26. They just work for a daily carry weapon. No reason to replace them.

Here's my Bersa Thunder 9 Ultracompact Pro.....great gun for the price and just as accurate and reliable as the three I listed at the top for about $100 less - based on the Walther P88 design. As a previous member stated, it is a bit thick to carry due to the safety decocker and slide release.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The Glock and Springfield are equal when it comes to reliability, accuracy, quality, and parts availability. The Sprinfield blows the Glock out of the water in the ergonomics dept though. I've never shot an M&P but have heard nothing but good about them. Ultimately it comes down to what works best for you. I vote for the Springfield; and just for fun check out this link about a 20,000 round Springfield torture test.

XD Torture test - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Well I have already received more M&Pc feedback than I expected. So with that in mind, how is the trigger? The trigger is honestly what I worry the most about with this gun. How does it compare to a Glock's "DAO" as I am most familiar with it.

It's a very similar mechanism ("striker"). IMO, that's all personal preference. I don't like DA/SA in a carry gun because I want a consistent trigger pull every time. That being said, it is the best trigger I've fired in this category of gun (polymer, price range, size, caliber). I did, however, install the Apex Tactical DCAEK, but I certainly would not call it a required modification. Hope that helps. I have been nothing short of thrilled with my M&P 9c.

OpJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find which pistol fits you best. I have an SR9c and highly recommend it.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by pamooreems View Post
    Well I have already received more M&Pc feedback than I expected. So with that in mind, how is the trigger? The trigger is honestly what I worry the most about with this gun. How does it compare to a Glock's "DAO" as I am most familiar with it.
    The triggers are similar yet different. I personally like the stock M&P and Glock triggers. The stock Glock trigger has a more pronounced reset feel and sound. But both are good trigger setups.

Neither S&W nor Springfield (nor anyone else, for that matter) can compete with Glock for universally available parts, accessories and service, ease of maintenance and simplicity of design. Anyone with internet access can learn how to completely tear down a Glock to its basic components and replace any part that may need replacing, no "gunsmithing" required. If you really think that you need a Glock "armorer," you can't swing a dead cat in most gun shops without hitting at least 2 of them. Good luck finding a S&W armorer, and don't even think about finding someone to work on an XD.

If you have saved 2 years to buy one pistol, and you already know you like Glocks, your decision is already made for you. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Get a Glock 19.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Neither S&W nor Springfield (nor anyone else, for that matter) can compete with Glock for universally available parts, accessories and service, ease of maintenance and simplicity of design. Anyone with internet access can learn how to completely tear down a Glock to its basic components and replace any part that may need replacing, no "gunsmithing" required. If you really think that you need a Glock "armorer," you can't swing a dead cat in most gun shops without hitting at least 2 of them. Good luck finding a S&W armorer, and don't even think about finding someone to work on an XD.

If you have saved 2 years to buy one pistol, and you already know you like Glocks, your decision is already made for you. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Get a Glock 19.
    I really have to disagree with you here Vaquero; you can find all the parts, types of accessories, and service for an XD that you can a Glock and just as easily, you just have to look in different places. As for ease of maintenance; the XD requires LESS steps to field strip and about the same for a complete tear down...and IMO there is really no difference in the simplicity of the design; hey are both very simple, that's why they both work so well.

But to each their own, not trying to start a war. Safe shooting.

-Russell
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

The M&P is super easy to take down and work on, I did an Apex trigger job on mine and it was the first time I ever owned a gun. It's the way to go. It's a glock but better!

VIP Member
    Dollar wise the G26 makes sense.

I have the 380 thunder and won't carry it. It does not always eject or load. So not reliable. they are priced right.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    I really have to disagree with you here Vaquero; you can find all the parts, types of accessories, and service for an XD that you can a Glock and just as easily, you just have to look in different places. As for ease of maintenance; the XD requires LESS steps to field strip and about the same for a complete tear down...and IMO there is really no difference in the simplicity of the design; hey are both very simple, that's why they both work so well.

But to each their own, not trying to start a war. Safe shooting.

-Russell
    Not starting a war, but it's not a matter of opinion. You are simply wrong.

The Glock has less parts. These parts are widely available from many different aftermarket sources.
    The XD has more parts, and some of these parts are restricted to availability from the factory ONLY.
    Given the fact that over 60% of LE agencies in the US (and many more throughout the world) utilize the Glock, versus almost nil for the XD, it's not even a contest regarding parts availability and commonality.
    There are FAR more Glock armorers than there are XD armorers. I personally know several Glock armorers, and I am one myself. I know exactly ZERO XD armorers.

Opinions are fine, but that facts are the facts.

Glad you like your XDm, but that doesn't negate the cold, hard facts.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Not starting a war, but it's not a matter of opinion. You are simply wrong.

The Glock has less parts. These parts are widely available from many different aftermarket sources.
    The XD has more parts, and some of these parts are restricted to availability from the factory ONLY.
    Given the fact that over 60% of LE agencies in the US (and many more throughout the world) utilize the Glock, versus almost nil for the XD, it's not even a contest regarding parts availability and commonality.
    There are FAR more Glock armorers than there are XD armorers. I personally know several Glock armorers, and I am one myself. I know exactly ZERO XD armorers.

Opinions are fine, but that facts are the facts.

Glad you like your XDm, but that doesn't negate the cold, hard facts.
    You are right the Glock has less parts my mistake. But, you can still get any parts you need anytime and anywhere you need it for the XDs as well, it's not like hunting for a needle in a haystack. The Glocks have also been around longer than the XD so of course they are going to be more widely used; this DOES NOT mean they are more reliable.

Also the reason there are more Glock armorers is because they require more work. :).

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Well, you may have the order just right.

Glock-26 or the Glock-19...either will meet your requirements, and be VERY reliable.
    Sigh....retsupt99 is a man of much wisdom in this particular reply!!!! Glock 19 is my EDC, Glock 26 my BUG...Gen 3.....When you have to bet your life on reliability, Glock is very difficult to surpass...Also, Glock Armorer courses are easy to take and parts are readily available...You can become your own armorer...JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Ruger SR9c

OP: Take my thoughts with a grain of salt, I am new to handguns (not new to rifles and shotguns) and this is exactly my first post on this forum. I have been lurking and reading for a long time here, and have used what I have learned to make what I consider the best choice for me, which was the Ruger SR9c. My short list was the Glock 19, Ruger, M&Pc, and XDm compact. After handling, and shooting them all I went with the Ruger. The trigger is AWESOME! short, no take up, and I just think its great! Second was the M&Pc. The Ruger just felt better to me. I really dont think you can go wrong with any of your choices, but go shoot them, and let yourself decide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links