Choices Choices Choices

Choices Choices Choices

This is a discussion on Choices Choices Choices within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometimes it feels like these decisions would be easier if there were only one gun manufacturer, thank God there's not. My dilema is a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Choices Choices Choices

Choices Choices Choices

Sometimes it feels like these decisions would be easier if there were only one gun manufacturer, thank God there's not.

My dilema is a good one, but it is a tough choice. I have literally been researching a new carry pistol for almost two years. I have love guns but not the price and I have had other issues arise that required money that took precedent over a new firearm. Well the big day is finally drawing near and I can barely sit still. I have narrowed the selection down but I am of course still uneasy about making a decision. This will be my only purchase for probably a good while and I want to get it right. I will quit rambling and get to my question.

The specifications I need met are as follows:
    Concealable and moderately comfortable for carry IWB (more than likely with a universal slip holster, not a custom IWB)
    9mm (I love.45's but I want a caliber that is cheap to shoot, effective with proper training in stopping power, and low recoil for my wife (she just shot for the first time two weeks ago and the .380 is as far as she made it up the list in caliber power, 9mm seems like the next logical step)
    Price (400 - 500 range)
    Ease of replacement parts and finding qualified gunsmiths for that particular gun and reasonabley priced additional accesories (mags and what not)
    Trigger Pull (I am a single action fan and do not like stiff double action only triggers unless they are followed by single action (SA/DA) or have been modified to be light like Glocks or Springfields)
    At least 10 Round compacity (no Kahrs or Ruger LC9s)
    Not more than 30 oz. unloaded (not a huge deal but pretty much leaves me with polymers)

Here are my current selections in no particular order:
    Glock Model 26 (Gen. 3 or 4, but I think I prefer the Gen. 3)

Glock Model 19 (shot the .40 in all three versions and like Glocks)

Ruger Sr9c (concerned about aftermarket parts like nights sights)

Taurus PT809c (concerned about trigger pull and reset)

Springfield XD Subcompact (shot the .40 and liked it)

Beretta PX-4 Storm Subcompact (is it worth the extra money?)

CZ 2075 RAMI (price and never handled one)

Bersa Thunder UCP (Love my Thunder 380, but never even seen the 9mm)

NO Smith and Wesson Sigmas (complete garbage triggers)
    Only Mildly curious about S&W M&P subcompact, I heard they are better than Sigmas but I hated that Sigma so much I don't even like talking about S&W.

I would love feedback of one verse the other or personal opinion. I am only going to buy NEW so a used Sig, Colt, H&K is not an option.

The Bersa, Ruger, and Taurus are priced more in my range but the others are only 50-100 out of it and I will save an extra week to get one than only spend 450 and be unhappy, but I would prefer to stay in the range. I am leaning towards the G26, G19, or Ruger Sr9c but could go anyway.

Suggestions do not have to be subcompact guns. I have carried a 1911 IWB before and even though a full size gun is basically out of the question, I am open to input. I am 5'9 and 180 lbs, I almost always wear a t-shirt with a polo or button up shirt untucked over it, so I can work with a larger gun, but I would prefer the compact to subcompact for this purchase as I live in South Carolina where it is 99.9 degrees 9 months of the year and don't want to carry a 40 oz, 5 inch barrel gun.

I am treating this like my first car even though I have owned pocket pistols, 1911s and others in my life. I know my wife is sick and tired of hearing me talk about it so this is going to be it for awhile and I want to do it right. All input would be appreciated even if it is a small dislike you had with one of the guns (slide release, sight options, customer service issues, finish problems).

Thanks in advance for making it this far down my ramble and especially for your comments.

I have the G26, love it, get the ghost trigger put on it. Shoots great, low maintenance, low recoil, 10rd double stack mag, night sights. I prev had the Bersa 9UC, but it was a little to large to carry IMHO. I'm going to get the Sig P938 when they come out. Love Sigs S/A, only problem is the capacity 6+1.

The M&P is worlds apart from the Sigma, you would be shorting yourself by leaving it out of the running.
    kmagnuss and 1959 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Porp View Post
    The M&P is worlds apart from the Sigma, you would be shorting yourself by leaving it out of the running.
    I have heard that but I guess I got scarred. Do you have an opinion on how the M&P compares to its Glock, Springfield, etc. counterparts? The prices I have found on the M&P are better than Glock and Springfield, but that very concept is what led me to the Sigma in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Porp View Post
    He's dead on. I strongly agree. M&P is good stuff. Reliable as a Glock, much better ergonomics, sweet shooter. Mine was my first polymer gun. And I do love it. I carry it more than my beloved SIGs. Light years from the disaster known as the Sigma.

KSP
    Wish I could be more helpful, but my only experience with the above is the M&P9C. I owned one for a bit (until I far too charitably sold it to a friend who really liked it and didn't have a gun), and I really liked it. When I was researching, the Glock 26 was too stubby/blocky feeling, and the XD was too top heavy/bulky. Just how it felt for me. The M&P9c was a good size if you are looking at double stack compacts, and it has great ergos and a pretty decent trigger. If you really want to get stoked about buying an M&P, listen to the pro-arms podcast (feature Massad Ayoob among others -episode 9, 10/12/08), where the roundtable just RAVES about how great a gun it is. It'll make you run out and put one on layaway.

I would seriously consider the M&P 9c. I sold my Glock 19 for one and haven't looked back since. Even in factory stock condition it is a great carry gun and meets all of your requirements. Mine has been with me all waking hours for nearly 2 years now.

OpJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    multistage likes this.

Out of your choices, my decision was the SA XD40 SC, I love this gun. Pick what you like as you will be the one using it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by pamooreems View Post
    I have heard that but I guess I got scarred. Do you have an opinion on how the M&P compares to its Glock, Springfield, etc. counterparts? The prices I have found on the M&P are better than Glock and Springfield, but that very concept is what led me to the Sigma in the first place.
    IMHO it's better than the springfield on all planes, equal to the glock on reliability, and better than all in ergonomics.

Well, you may have the order just right.

Glock-26 or the Glock-19...either will meet your requirements, and be VERY reliable.
    AZJD1968 and First Sgt like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Walther PPQ, but the PPS is also high quality and a dream to carry and easy to shoot all day at the range, but carries less than your 10 round minimum....

The XD Subcompact just "fits" me.

+3 on the M&P
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I own the PX4C, Glock 23, Bersa thunder, and have a Tarus PT640 the PX4C good gun very fat (wide) and high cap mags, it has a bull barrel had no trouble putting night sights on it and found a good hoslter it needed breaking in when i first got it and took it to the range every shoot was low and left (not just me) sent it back and now it's great, the glock is great My recommendation for you is to get a gen 4 model 23 can buy new for 400 and then buy a conversion barrel to 9mm (cheaper than dirt has them for 100) then you can shoot both 9mm and 40 cal for your max price of 500 it's extremely reliabe and one of my EDC, Most CW holder wont carry Tarus guns they feel they aren't reliable enough for them the one I have is great no misfeed or FEE and they have a lifetime guarantee ( i don't carry mine but i wouldn't be afraid too) I paid 289 0n Black Friday the besa thunder IMHO is a good gun but not for me I don't like the sights on my CC model and My boss shot his once and had to return it for a manufactures defect he sent it in and they did get it repaired and sent back in less than two week and he's shoot it many time since without any problems
    Hope this helped it was kinda long I guess i just got on a roll
    Last edited by jblives2ride; February 23rd, 2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typos
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    He's dead on. I strongly agree. M&P is good stuff. Reliable as a Glock, much better ergonomics, sweet shooter..
    I agree also. The M&P is a more modern design, and just as reliable as a Glock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links