Do you have seperate magazines for the range vs sd/hd?

This is a discussion on Do you have seperate magazines for the range vs sd/hd? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, I have extra "range" magazines. My carry magazines remain undisturbed except for when I replace the ammunition in them (every six months or so). ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Do you have seperate magazines for the range vs sd/hd?

Yes, I have extra "range" magazines. My carry magazines remain undisturbed except for when I replace the ammunition in them (every six months or so).

I have three reasons for this:

1. Frequent loading/unloading stresses the springs more (i.e., "wears" them out faster) than leaving them loaded. I have found this out for myself.

2. Shooting, especially reloads, makes the magazines dirty. By using a "range set", that's several less items to clean at the end of the day.

3. This is probably insignificant, but loading/unloading/loading the same cartridges over and over dings them up to a degree; particularly the rims.

Aside from all of that, I'd rather not mess with any more loading/unloading than I have to. I even have an identical twin to my carry piece... its a spare, and since both are kept clean, I don't have to rush home and clean anything as soon as I'm finished shooting, if I don't feel like it. I do NOT carry a 'dirty gun', for several reasons.

Anyway... all of this is a convenience, not a necessity.

2. Remove Ads

I have "training" mags and I have "carry" mags. I've run several cycles through my "carry" mags to insure each are functioning properly...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    I dont seperate range and carry mags. I have several for each pistol so they all get mixed in together.

All my mags however are numbered so if I have an issue that keeps coming back with a particular mag it is trashed or traded.

Rifle mags are the same way you can never have to many. I buy in bulk to keep the cost down but just like the pistol mags they are all mixed in together.

"A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

.little dents or in some bad cases, even splits. Time to throw those rounds out.
    Ammunition brass will not deform or split from loading and unloading by hand into magazines,Brass will split after being fired and reloaded enough times that the metal becomes fatigued enough,I have reloaded brass as many as 10 times without any split cases developing,but it depends on how hot your loading the ammo.
    I unload and use my carry mags in my carry gun at the range,other 1911's get shot with mags in my range bag
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I use all of my mags at the range because I want to know if they work and work well. Being one of the most common causes of a FTF, if they never get used how do I know that they will not cause my firearm to malfunction?
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

VIP Member
    My edc mags get cycled every two to three days on my backyard range. Prior to shooting, I empty them of the high dollar PD rounds I carry, and load them up with WWB, Blazers, or whatever other (comparatively) inexpensive range ammo I am shooting. I always set aside the +1 edc round, then re-load it at the bottom of an edc mag to avoid set-back issues.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I always set aside the +1 edc round, then re-load it at the bottom of an edc mag to avoid set-back issues.
    But eventually that cartridge will work its way to the top, yes?

I too used to do it your way, then began shooting the chambered round, first off. I keep a baggie with some duty rounds in my shooting bag, and just use that to top off the carry mag when done for the day. Now I don't even think about set-back...

I only restrict usage of a mag to the range until I prove its reliable. Then it can be used for anything. I have five magazines. For convenience, I keep two loaded with JHP's for SD, and three loaded with FMJ for the range or SHTF. To make sure the one's loaded for SD get used, I rotate them occasionally.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

I fire The basic CCI blazers at the range, I replace them with the Gold Dot jhp's after a good cleaning. Slowly buying extra mags strickly for range use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links