Do you have seperate magazines for the range vs sd/hd?

This is a discussion on Do you have seperate magazines for the range vs sd/hd? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you have your carry/home defense magazine loaded up with your JHPs, what do you do when you go to the range? Shot the JHPs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Do you have seperate magazines for the range vs sd/hd?

If you have your carry/home defense magazine loaded up with your JHPs, what do you do when you go to the range?
    • Shot the JHPs (seems expensive)
    • Unload the rounds and reload (possibly a pain)
    • use other magazines

My M&P 9c came with the 12 and the full size 17. It seems to me it would be handy to have an extra set for range time. If you have an extra set, do you ever shoot the carry mags to ensure they are still functioning? If so how often?

Finally if you are carrying the +1 (and I am sure most of you are) is there damage to the bullet in any way by taking it out when practicing and re-adding it?

Yea, you should have 2 mags (or whatever you choose) set aside for SD rounds only. I heard if you load and unload a SD mag 3x you should pick up some new ammo..dont know how truthful that is, though. You can see some damage on the casing if you unload and load enough...little dents or in some bad cases, even splits. Time to throw those rounds out.
    "When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

VIP Member
    I have multiple magazines for all of my guns. Unless there is 1 that gives me problems, they rotate through the range/carry cycle. If I encounter 1 that gives me problems, I will mark it with paint on the magazine plate and it will become strictly a range magazine.
    As for ammo, loading and unloading it from a magazine isn't hurting it. The round in the chamber I keep an eye on for signs of bullet set back. If encountered I dispose of the round, otherwise I shoot my carry ammo every 3 or 4 range trips.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

"When that gun comes out of that holster; it's business time." -Chris Costa

sgb
    My carry mags remain separate from my range mags.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I have 6 magazines for my XD9sc. 3 of the flush fitting 13 round mags (1 has pearce pinky extension). Those are all loaded with 147gr golden sabers. 1 mag is in the gun, 1 hangs out in my truck for just in case/impromptu target practice. The other I have in case I carry an extra mag or for when I wear my shoulder holster. I also have 3 of the full-size 16 round mags. 1 came with it and has the proper grip extension and has golden sabers loaded in it as well. The other 2 I threw some cheap extensions on and I use them for range days, and they're usually left unloaded, if they are loaded it's usually just FMJs.

When I go to the range I will shoot the 14 rounds loaded in my XD (13+1) just to empty that mag because I'll usually have loaded/unloaded it a handful of times between trips.

I have some aftermarket mags for my glock 22 that I only use on the range, I only carry OEM mags
    joker1 likes this.

I have 6 magazines for my carry and I want more, you can never have too many mags in my opinion.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

VIP Member
    Yes. I have a lot of mags. Those that are very well used and haven't been refurbished with new springs/followers are relegated to range use only. You can never have too many mags....unless you're swimming.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have 4 15 round GLOCK 19 magazines. 1 in the gun loaded with Golden Sabres, 1 in the lock box loaded with Golden Sabres, and 2 others. The magazine in the gun will go into rotation with the other 2 when at the range or at a defensive pistol shooting competition. I do rotate the chambered round through the magazine to avoid bullet setback. Yes I need more magazines and need to start carrying that one extra magazine.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I do the "unload the rounds and reload" thing. Every fifth or sixth range trip I fire out some of the SD ammo. By year's end, I'm buying fresh SD ammo.

This way, I'm using all the mags, testing them for function, ensuring the SD ammo runs well and that I'm used to it, and avoiding bullet set-back. The Uplula magazine loader makes this fairly quick and painless. Consider this a plug for Maglula or Uplula - they work great.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I think you are over thinking this. It only makes sense to shoot some ammo through the EDC mags to ensure proper functioning. It's really not that much trouble to unload and reload your mags as you are making it out to be.
    Chesafreak likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have one mint mag that I carry in my EDC with defensive ammo (15 round loaded to 16+1), 5 spare mags with beat up baseplates, all loaded to 16 with FMJ, 2 of those are in a pouch that goes wherever I do. I usually run through all the spares on a range trip, then rotate them when I reload after cleaning. Every few trips I'll empty my defensive rounds and run a few mags of FMJ through my EDC mag, then reload it before leaving the line.

This is actually one of the things I like about Glock - the mags are steel reinforced polymer. The polymer helps cushion the steel, and protects it from dents and dings if you drop them on the ground at the range. It makes the mags (and therefore the grip) thicker, but well worth it for a bit more reliability, IMHO. I wish more gun makers made their mags this way.

I do not have "range" vs "carry" mags. I want to test my mags with my carry ammo, so they all get used.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by bundy845 View Post
    My M&P 9c came with the 12 and the full size 17. It seems to me it would be handy to have an extra set for range time.
    All it takes is one decent training course to realize you need more than just a couple of mags for your defensive guns.

The only "range only" mags I have are a couple of ProMags I just never got around to throwing out yet, plus a couple of no-name gun show 1911 mags which are worthless for anything other than practicing speed reloads..
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links