Received my CWL but may have damaged my gun. - Page 2

Received my CWL but may have damaged my gun.

This is a discussion on Received my CWL but may have damaged my gun. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty Next time a shot sounds different or you have a lighter recoil STOP SHOOTING,REMOVE MAGAZINE,EXTRACT ANY CHAMBERED ROUND,LOCK SLIDE OPEN AND ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Received my CWL but may have damaged my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Next time a shot sounds different or you have a lighter recoil STOP SHOOTING,REMOVE MAGAZINE,EXTRACT ANY CHAMBERED ROUND,LOCK SLIDE OPEN AND EITHER INSERT A ROD DOWN THE BARREL OR LOOK DOWN THE BARREL AND MAKE SURE THERE ISN'T A ROUND STUCK IN THE BARREL.
    Lesson learned, and thankfully my brother's hands and face are still healthy.

To get it out, I disassembled the gun, put the barrel breech-end up on a padded cloth on my garage floor and tapped the dowel with a hammer. The slug remained intact, and luckily so did the dowel.

Update. I took it to the range yesterday and cycled a few rounds through to make sure the action worked okay. Didn't seem to have any problems, so I fired a magazine of JHPs through (since I hadn't yet tested this gun with anything but ball). First round ejected, second round failed to feed. I dropped the mag, reinserted and fired off the remainder. Had a few more failures to feed out of the 50 rounds I put through. No visible damage that I can see, and I haven't had trouble with this gun before. Any ideas?

I used the same technique on one of my barrels. Except it was a metal cleaning rod. Was worried I did damage, but it shot fine afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    I fired a magazine of JHPs through (since I hadn't yet tested this gun with anything but ball). First round ejected, second round failed to feed. I dropped the mag, reinserted and fired off the remainder. Had a few more failures to feed out of the 50 rounds I put through. No visible damage that I can see, and I haven't had trouble with this gun before. Any ideas?
    When I bought my wife an LCP I bought her Corbon JHPs which is what I use in my sd guns. It wouldn't feed well at all. Bought Remington Golden Sabre and it feeds flawlessly. Give it a try.

Some of those JHPs have wide open nosings that can catch when trying to go into the feed ramp, if the bullet looks more like a standard FMJ with a smooth nose end it will feed more smoothly.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

to answer the question; the bullet is FORCED into the barrel so the bullet grabs the rifling’s and causes the spin that stabilizes the bullet in flight.

Some barrels are tapered and others use a forcing cone. Black powder guns used a forcing cone on pistols and rifles used a cotton patch it grab the lands in the barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Extas View Post
    When I bought my wife an LCP I bought her Corbon JHPs which is what I use in my sd guns. It wouldn't feed well at all. Bought Remington Golden Sabre and it feeds flawlessly. Give it a try.
    I'll check it out, thanks.

Any updates on the gun? I just saw that you did.

I am glad the gun and you are OK.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kmagnuss View Post
    That made me LOL. The REAL reason(s) they don't want you to use it is a) it's not brass cased so they have to separate it from the rest of the brass they sweep up to sell or reuse and/or b) you're not buying their ammo which obviously costs them money.
    Correct that they have to separate the steel from brass and that they are not selling you their reloads; incorrect that you are costing them money. They are just not making any extra profit from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Correct that they have to separate the steel from brass and that they are not selling you their reloads; incorrect that you are costing them money. They are just not making any extra profit from you.
    Which is why I bought a membership to the outdoor range across town. Sucks that it takes me 20 minutes to get there, but after 10 visits, the membership will have paid for itself. Plus, I can shoot every gun I own there (and every gun I have yet to buy!).
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links