Grip Safeties-death trap?

This is a discussion on Grip Safeties-death trap? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not a fan of grip safeties but I wouldn't go so far as to call them death traps....

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Grip Safeties-death trap?

I'm not a fan of grip safeties but I wouldn't go so far as to call them death traps.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

I would put myself in the camp that the issue with grip safeties overall is uncommon.

I have shot several 1911s but do not currently own one. I cannot speak specifically to this type of pistol beyond my personal encounters (not much compared to many here), but didn't have any issues to think of with the GS. My personal experience is more directly related to the XDs I own, and the GS has been flawless. I am not a large man with "beefy-hands", 5' 11"/165pds. I would have to try very hard to not engage this feature to fire. I started my Tap, rack, bang drills with my 1st XD and not once did the safety prevent me from sliding. It is true that on the XD the slide will not open without the GS being depressed, but I have trained this technique with my grip intact.

On an XD, you cannot really ride the grip safety high enough to miss it IMO, you would get a good bite from the slide.

With all the modifications written about 1911 GS, could some of this be attributed to hype. If I was a competition shooter and heard of a friend of a friend from years back, who had problems with a GS, maybe I would consider modification. Thinking that the GS doesn't help my shooting, why not disengage it, just in case.....even if I personally never had issue. Then lets say I become a world class competition shooter and I do an interview that talks about my pistol modifications. Others see that I am a successful shooter and hope to become as accomplished, so they modify their gun as well and buy into the reasoning without a true effect on them. I think this is reasonable to assume occurs.

I'm not saying at all that people today do not have issues personally with their 1911 GS, and have had to modify to accommodate. I am real curious how genuinely common this is for real. Doubtful there are any such verifiable stats, but curious none the less. So (anyone)please specify if those that you know who disabled the GS, did so because THEY really did have an issue when THEY shot, exclude those who did it proactively. Thanks!

@DRM, understand that I was not targeting you for making the statement in the 1911 thread, as others agreed and disagreed with your sentiment. I appreciate your feedback one way or the other. I just thought it was an interesting highlight that warranted further discussion, w/o highjacking the thread.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    I gotta agree with HotGuns if you have trouble with a particular platform get a different one. Doesn't mean that the one You had a problem with is bad, just means it doesn't work for you. For those with having problems with your cloths, does your jacket interfere with your grip? A few weeks ago I was practicing and swept my cover garment back but caught my thumb on my vest and ended up drawing vest and gun at the same time, I was real slow getting a shot off because I did not want to shoot without a proper grip.

I would like to see a picture of the high grip a couple of you have talked about that failed to engage the grip saftey. I have been trying to grip my 1911 different ways and I cannot grip in such in such a way that the saftey is not engaged.
    No, my clothing was not interfering with my grip when the problem I described occurred. The wind blew the cuff of my field jacket between the hammer and beavertail at precisely the right (wrong) time, and my 1911 was out of business. A once-in-a-lifetime occurrance, most likely, but one caused by the design of the pistol.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

OP, the 1911 has been carried and used in war and self defense worldwide since long before you were born...... and still is just as popular today. That should tell you something.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    OP, the 1911 has been carried and used in war and self defense worldwide since long before you were born...... and still is just as popular today. That should tell you something.
    It does tell us something. But what it doesn't tell us is why they changed the grip safety profile. It also doesn't tell us why top competitors have the grip safeties pinned, a common practice.

Nor does it mean people aren't having grip safety problems.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

VIP Member
    Seasoned and venerable, absolutely, but I'm not so sure with the still just as popular part. How many militaries and LE agencies are currently carrying it as a main-issue sidearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    It does tell us something. But what it doesn't tell us is why they changed the grip safety profile. It also doesn't tell us why top competitors have the grip safeties pinned, a common practice.

Nor does it mean people aren't having grip safety problems.
    Top competitors also water down their rounds to reduce recoil too..... should we follow their lead?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Seasoned and venerable, absolutely, but I'm not so sure with the still just as popular part. How many militaries and LE agencies are currently carrying it as a main-issue sidearm?
    Militaries and LE agencies go with the times. Less practice with the handguns = less money. That also leads to less proficiency and more rounds fired which leads bean counters to believe that they require higher capacity magazines. Weight also figures into the equation. Especially with the military..... during peace time everyone complains about weapon weight but during war time they always complain that the lightweight cartridges aren't effective enough...... it is a dirty little circle.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Yeah, and dead men tell no tales...

Kinda interesting that two guys on this thread have had the same EXACT problem. But hey, if you don't believe us then it's not true.

And it's kinda interesting that Novak calls their Patented 1-pc. backstrap/grip safety eliminator (get this):

"The Answer"
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Shooting Coach & Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Yeah, and dead men tell no tales...

Kinda interesting that two guys on this thread have had the same EXACT problem. But hey, if you don't believe us then it's not true.

And it's kinda interesting that Novak calls their Patented 1-pc. backstrap/grip safety eliminator (get this):

"The Answer"
    And one of those guys has been to three county fairs, and both have seen the elephant.

I do not carry a 1911. I own one for collector value. I honestly think that if you are having the "issue" then maybe the 1911 is not for you, get another weapon that you shoot proficiently and are confident in. It is that simple. Any safety can be a deathtrap. Especially if you do not train with it and become proficient with it. You can draw the 1911 and have the perfect grip to depress the grip safety but forget to thumb sweep or miss the thumb safety..... does that make it a death trap or does that make it a training issue? If you have the issue, and you can't train your way out of it, get a new tool. It is that simple.

Senior Moderator
    Top competitors also water down their rounds to reduce recoil too..... should we follow their lead?
    No, we shouldn't water down our rounds. But if we are having grip safety problems that they've already solved for us, then we only have two choices - ignore it and hope it won't happen in a life or death situation or do what the pros do about it.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    No, we shouldn't water down our rounds. But if we are having grip safety problems that they've already solved for us, then we only have two choices - ignore it and hope it won't happen in a life or death situation or do what the pros do about it.
    I pretty much gave my opinion to that one post up.... and will add.... then get a BHP or something

VIP Member
    I do not carry a 1911. I own one for collector value. I honestly think that if you are having the "issue" then maybe the 1911 is not for you, get another weapon that you shoot proficiently and are confident in. It is that simple. Any safety can be a deathtrap. Especially if you do not train with it and become proficient with it. You can draw the 1911 and have the perfect grip to depress the grip safety but forget to thumb sweep or miss the thumb safety..... does that make it a death trap or does that make it a training issue? If you have the issue, and you can't train your way out of it, get a new tool. It is that simple.
    I'm trying to figure out how the problem D.R. and I both experienced is a training issue, other than we were training on a cold, windy day.

Well if you have no confidence in your 1911 and think it a deathtrap... sell it or safe it. There are literally hundreds of other choices out there... problem solved. In 30+ years of 1911 ownership I personally have never seen or experienced the problem firsthand and I have a LOT of rounds downrange with the platform. So get something that works for you... problem solved.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links