Easiest 9mm to pocket carry

This is a discussion on Easiest 9mm to pocket carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CM9 and love it. A friend just bought one of the new Colt Mustangs in .380 and I was very impressed with ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Easiest 9mm to pocket carry

I have a CM9 and love it. A friend just bought one of the new Colt Mustangs in .380 and I was very impressed with its accuracy and ergonomics.
    USN Retired

2. Remove Ads

Take a look at the Kahr CM9 (less expensive than the PM9) and the Beretta Nano.

Here's a list of compact 9mm's
    Best 9mm concealed carry pistols compact handguns CCW and women

I chose the Nano for my compact option.

Keltec PF-9 - 12 oz unloaded. Not for inexperienced shooters as its a handful.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The Rohrbaugh R9 is the smallest 9mm, but most expensive, at ~ $1000. It is about the same size as a LCP, but heavier. It will not shoot +p ammo. You need to replace the recoil spring fairly regularly - it comes with a spare.

The next up is the Kahr CM9 and PM9. It will take +P ammo. I carry one at times. It will fit in most men's pockets, but not all. You can have a tailor deepen your pocket, if needed. Kahr does recommend the use of the slide stop lever to load the first round. Some individual pistols need to be loaded this way, while others will load properly using the slingshot or overhand method. Mine would only work using the slide stop lever, until I changed the recoil spring - now it will load just fine using the overhand method. I think slight differences in the length and power of the recoil spring makes the difference. The reoil spring should be replaced every 1000 rounds.

The DB9 is about the same size, but lighter. It also will not take +p ammo.

IMHO, anything larger is not really pocket sized. You have to factor in the holster as well.

Lots of folks seem to pocket a snubbie revolver, but they are too bulky for me...I have thick thighs which makes them print in my pocket.

While in uniform, I can pocket my Glock 26. But of course, I don't care about printing then, and the pants are made for that.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I find the Beretta nano very easy to pocket carry.

VIP Member
    1st Prize goes to:
    Rohrbaugh R9...size of LCP or P3-AT...weighs 13 oz.
    S&W 340PD no lock...11.4 oz J frame 357

Runners up:
    Kahr CM9...14 oz and a little larger but decent trigger and cost
    S&W 642 38 special

DQ:
    Titan 25
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Check out the new SIG P938. Practically same size as the P238 but in 9mm. Only weighs 16oz (unloaded, of course). Still might be too big for you to pocket carry, but it might be worth your checking out. Definitely a beautiful little piece.

IMO, the easiest 9mm to pocket carry for under a grand is the Kahr PM, or CM9...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchsox View Post
    Don't you have to use the slide release on the PM9 vs racking the slide?
    That is how Kahr suggests in the manual, but you will find that it is simply because many folks don't have the strength to work Kahr's stiff recoils spring properly. I have never seen a Kahr firearm that would not chamber a round if you snap the slide back with authority. Either way the Kahr CM9/PM9 is the best combination of compactness/quality/ and cost in a 9mm pocket gun out there, bar none.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I never used the slide release when I had a PM9; I always pulled the slide to the rear & let it go.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Yes and no.

Some (i.e. the difference between "your" PM9 and "my" PM9 and "his" PM9) operate more smoothly or certainly with the slide release, but some can indeed be "powerstroked/overhand-stroked." You'll have to see how your particular PM9 takes to the different methods, and yes, even ammo can cause differences, here.

----

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    go to the store and start sticking them in your pocket. thats the only way to tell what fits, i have carried the LCR for over a year now and i "forget'' that it is there half of the tiime. i also can carry the cw9 or the cw45 but i wear bibs most of the time and they have big pockets. it just depends on the sort of pants you wear and what YOU consider pocketable
    ^ This, +1.

My PM9 is an "alternate" carry, for me. It's for when my usual carry is deemed, by me, to be a bit too "thick" to achieve the carry profile/discretion that I'm looking for.

While, for such few occasions, she's still mostly on my hip, there have been times when I've been forced to go to pocket-carry, and it's there that yet another observation arises:

Not all pockets are the same.

You'd imagine the front pocket of my jeans to do much better with pocket carry of my PM9, in one of the pocket-holsters I have for it, right? Well, that's *mostly* the case, but with one of my "fancier" pair of jeans (my wife forces me to "dress like an adult," every once in a while), that's just not true...there's this unsightly "random bulge" that's tumor-like. And while the holstered gun seems like a rather bulky smartphone in many of my dress-pants' pockets, in a couple of other pairs, it virtually disappears.

So for as much as I agree with paulie, that you'll have to go and "try on" your intended carry gun and holster setup, you're also going to find some variability, depending on which pants you're wearing and how their pockets are configured.

It's just like buying a pair of tailored slacks: your tailor will ask you if you're wearing the shoes that you usually wear with those pants - why? because subtle things will manifest.

VIP Member
    I looked at the DB9 but went with the PF9. But the DB9 is a lot better for pocket carry due to size. Both are light and thin. My PF9 has yet to FTF or FTE but I run a Golddot only in mine. Don't know how it would do with other stuff. I don't carry big guns a lot anyway usually only in the very cold winter months.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I find the lightest, and most comfortable gun, is one that doesn't jam. I carry a sig 232 (PPK type) - 17 oz, 6 1/2", but I know it works.

VIP Member
    the LC9 is great, don't think it is a problem. A J-frame may work for you very light and shoots 38 spec plus P. The size is small but will have a bulge from the cylinder.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links