Easiest 9mm to pocket carry

This is a discussion on Easiest 9mm to pocket carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OP, look at this link for comparisons of smaller guns: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...3ZDlm&hl=en_US You might have to consider stepping down to a .380 if you are looking ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Easiest 9mm to pocket carry

OP, look at this link for comparisons of smaller guns: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...3ZDlm&hl=en_US

You might have to consider stepping down to a .380 if you are looking at something real small and light (10-11oz) but employ double-taps if you have to use it. I use a Seecamp .32 for a small pocket gun when called for. Would like to get the .380 version. For certain scenarios such as answering the door to a stranger or investigating something unusual outside your house but not wanting to walk around with a drawn gun and attracting unnecessary attention, I may carry a shrouded hammer J-frame revolver in a jacket/sweat jacket pocket just in case I have to point shoot directly from the jacket pocket (no slide or case ejection jam worries). It can be backed up by a concealed larger gun.

2. Remove Ads

Kahr pm9 majority of time, but always have my Tomcat 32 with Winchester hollow point ready on hot summer days

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Try a Kahr polymer pistol.

I think Smith and Wesson should start producing those 9mm Snubbie revolvers again. It would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Try a Kahr polymer pistol.

I think Smith and Wesson should start producing those 9mm Snubbie revolvers again. It would be nice.
    How about Colt doing one Snubbie colt would be the awesome.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I gave up on 9s for pocket carry. A J frame .38 is best for that purpose.
    Glockwatcher likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    I gave up on 9s for pocket carry. A J frame .38 is best for that purpose.
    Kahr PM or CM 9mm is smaller. And yes, I have both a 642 and PM9 to compare.

Sent using Tapatalk on Android

Made an interesting discovery the other day - since having the right pocket of my usual ("Wrangler Original") cargo pants deepened and squared off by a tailor, not only does my PM9 fit better, but I can now get my Glock 26 in there. O happy day!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

My smallest carry gun was an old, Colt, Government .380, but, I was looking for something smaller yet. I chose the S&W .380 Bodyguard, which is the toughest handgun I've ever shot, to shoot accurately.
    I then decided to look at the tiny 9s. I researched all of them, including the Boberg, and fondled as many as I could, and finally went with a Kimber Solo, mainly because Crimson Trace made lasergrips for it, which, to me, are worth their weight in gold, in a low light situation, especially with a short sight radius. Although it is a little thicker, if I lay it on top of my .380 Bodyguard, they are the same size.
    Although I"d prefer to carry a full sized, double stack, in .40, or .45, sometimes the big guns just aren't a good option.

I just cant get used to pocket carry. That whole "everythings gotta be secured and not bouncing around" train of thought comes into play with my guns. I do wish I was more comfortable with it tho....
    Five minutes before the prom is no time to learn how to dance.Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by yooperdug View Post
    I just cant get used to pocket carry. That whole "everythings gotta be secured and not bouncing around" train of thought comes into play with my guns. I do wish I was more comfortable with it tho....
    I remember running with full gear in the Army. Gas mask slapping your side. Helmet bouncing around on your head. Canteens of water sloshing all over the place on your web belt. Rucksack on your back bouncing around.

Heck, your own gear would beat you half to death before you even got to the enemy...

As long as the gun doesn't come flying out of the pocket, you're fine.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

P3AT is always in my front pocket and G26/CBST for IWB carry. I would prefer a 9mm for pocket carry, but the reason I pocket carry all the time is comfort and that's not happening with a 9mm for me. I figured it is better to have a .380 on me than nothing.

If price is no object then its going to be Sigs new P938.
    Fitch likes this.

I carry a Kel Tec PF9 in my front pocket every day.

Berretta

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but you should look at the Berretta Px Storm or Nano!!!!! The Storm comes in a compact or subcompact and comes in either 9mm or .40 cal. The compact holds 15/12 and the subcompact holds 13/10 depending on the round (9mm vs .40 cal). Both are very easily concealed. The Nano is a 9mm that holds 6+1 rounds. I'm probably going to get the compact Storm. It has a higher capacity than the subcompact and the differences in length and width compared to the subcompact are minimal! They're also reasonably priced at around $400-500. Of course, there is always the "Baby Glock". The only reason I don't place it ahead of the Berretta's is because the standard mag only holds 10 rounds. Plus, there's no place for the pinkie. However, you could get a higher capacity magazine (there are several), that would hold a few more rounds and give you a full grip.

Also, I know a lot of people feel that a .380 is adequate for self defense, but I've heard it said over and over, by numerous people, that for self defense, you don't want anything less than 9mm or .38. Personally, my primary carry is a Glock 30SF. It holds 10 rounds of .45 ACP, is a subcompact, easily concealed, accurate, reliable and has surprisingly little recoil. Also, the magazine has an extra segment at the end for pinkie placement. I don't know why they don't do the same for the other subcompacts because it works REALLY well, but for some reason they don't. You should at least shoot one, before writing it off. But if you're dead set on a 9mm, I'd go with the Berretta!!!!!
    Last edited by dnilson; March 4th, 2012 at 11:48 PM.

I pocket carry my Beretta 92FS.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links