It seems to me, S&W has changed the trigger characteristics of the M&P....

This is a discussion on It seems to me, S&W has changed the trigger characteristics of the M&P.... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; But enough of this talk, I'm going home, get my M&P and my FNX9, loadin' up, and heading to the LGS/range. It's time to shoot! ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: It seems to me, S&W has changed the trigger characteristics of the M&P....

Senior Moderator
    But enough of this talk, I'm going home, get my M&P and my FNX9, loadin' up, and heading to the LGS/range. It's time to shoot! Maybe even do some tradin'!

Would I rather have an FNX9 or a std M&P with an improved break and horrible reset? I think the M&P.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Good idea...if I weren't 600 miles away, I'd go with you. You could try mine and see if it's what you want.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Good idea...if I weren't 600 miles away, I'd go with you. You could try mine and see if it's what you want.
    I haven't left yet - wanted to finish my strawberries and blue berry fruit snack first.

That would be great! Why is it you live so far away?

I'm out the door...

Senior Moderator
    First some perspective:
    I started this thread really as a praise of what S&W has done for the M&P trigger. I don't think their work is done. And, it's not that the stock gun is not useable, or shootable, or unreliable. But I think, and based on Burwell's business of doing trigger jobs on M&Ps that many feel this way, that S&W quit before they were done.

Then, the LGS only had models with a thumb safety. I don't want that. The range was too crowded to shoot. I didn't go by the other range and shoot a range gun. I went by the outdoor range and it was crowded. I wound up coming home without firing a shot or trading guns.

Some days are better than others - obviously this isn't one of the better ones

I'm confused. Which is easy to do.

You sang the praises of the Gen 4 Glock. Then ranted about the awful reset of the M&P trigger. So you set out to...buy another M&P?

Huh?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    People seem to have a hard time believing that I can appreciate more than one gun. I do like the Glock gen 4, that hasn't changed at all. But I did modify the trigger to improve the over-travel, pull weight and I really minimized the reset. But that's not the only gun I like - or find fault with. I also modified my Sig 226R SRT trigger because it wasn't working right.

I like the M&P, and now I find it has an improved break - very 1911-like, and I like that. The reset is awful, but I bet I can take care of that. I'm just a little disappointed that S&W hasn't taken care of it. But really, other than the reset, what's not to like about the M&P?

Should I only like one brand or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    But enough of this talk, I'm going home, get my M&P and my FNX9, loadin' up, and heading to the LGS/range. It's time to shoot! Maybe even do some tradin'!

Would I rather have an FNX9 or a std M&P with an improved break and horrible reset? I think the M&P.
    check out the new FNS-9 or FNS-40. Got to play with one the other day at my local GS, and it looks like FN really got it right with the FNS striker fired series.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

FYI, they make the M&P pro with a 4.25" barrel now... so if you like it you're not stuck with a 5" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    People seem to have a hard time believing that I can appreciate more than one gun. I do like the Glock gen 4, that hasn't changed at all. But I did modify the trigger to improve the over-travel, pull weight and I really minimized the reset. But that's not the only gun I like - or find fault with. I also modified my Sig 226R SRT trigger because it wasn't working right.

I like the M&P, and now I find it has an improved break - very 1911-like, and I like that. The reset is awful, but I bet I can take care of that. I'm just a little disappointed that S&W hasn't taken care of it. But really, other than the reset, what's not to like about the M&P?

Should I only like one brand or something?
    Not at all. You just seemed to come down so hard on the "awful reset" that it seemed surprising to me that you'd be running out to buy another one.

OTOH - I am one of those folks who sticks with something when they find that it works. Part of that is financial - I just don't have the funds to go out and buy new guns to try out, "just because." Glocks work for me, and the only times I have strayed from them is for very specific (size) reasons.

Maybe I'm just boring, but my guns are tools, not toys. I understand others feel differently, and have different circumstances.

Have fun!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Senior Moderator
    I came down on the M&P trigger reset because it is a disappointment on an otherwise fine gun with an excellent trigger break. That doesn't diminish the attributes of Glock in any way; it's all I can do to not just carry a Glock and forget the rest.

The reason I'm willing to acquire another M&P is because one, I have something I can trade for one, and two, I was really excited about the trigger break being so improved. It's even better than my M&P with the DCEAK in it. As for the reset, I believe I can help that. If in no other way for about $30.

Sometimes we criticize the little things because that's all there is that could be better. The volume of discussion sometimes makes the 'issue' seem much larger than it is.

I shoot my M&P9c Better than anyone I know that shoots a G26. Its a carry gun & I don't shot compatition ; )PS It's Stock not a Comp shooter
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    I shoot my M&P9c Better than anyone I know that shoots a G26. Its a carry gun & I don't shot compatition ; )PS It's Stock not a Comp shooter
    H/D
    I'm glad to hear that! But it doesn't mean you wouldn't shoot a comp model even better. Why do you thing the profession comp guys wanted the changes?

Interesting. Although I have no problems with the trigger on my M&P9c, I would like to check out this Pro model.
    NRA MEMBER
    EDC: Beretta Nano

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbergsing View Post
    Interesting. Although I have no problems with the trigger on my M&P9c, I would like to check out this Pro model.
    Granted, and I don't want to push something, but I was doing fine with my M&P all decked out in a DCEAK and RAM kits.

This is the short version. Sorry for the disruptions in the video, YouTube is screwing uploads up right now.

Then I tried a Pro model. I believe I can do better with it.

I really intended this post as some praise for the progress S&W has made so far and as a heads up that the M&P trigger seems to be different than what they used to be.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links