Carry a s&w model 686-8, .357 magnum?

This is a discussion on Carry a s&w model 686-8, .357 magnum? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; IT "ain't no pocket gun"--- and that's for sure, BUT does anyone carry this hunk of metal in cold weather when concealment isn't a big ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FastDraw

Thread: Carry a s&w model 686-8, .357 magnum?

IT "ain't no pocket gun"--- and that's for sure, BUT does anyone carry this hunk of metal in cold weather when concealment isn't a big problem like it can be in warmer months? My new " previously owned" Distinguished Combat Magnum fits a Blackhawk holster I just got at a LGS, but it feels like I'm carrying around a barbell on my belt!(have just worn it in the house). If you lug this around, how do you manage it and what are your suggestions, if any?I'm more curious than anything, but would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

My 686+ has the 2.5" barrel and although it's not my usual around town gun it does get occasional use as such and frequent use afield. As with any heavy revolver or pistol that I carry I make use of Perry Suspenders, and of course a good belt. The suspenders serve to distribute and transfer some of the weight of the gun to the upper body and the shoulders and this allows a full sized handgun to be carried comfortably.
    Attached Images

I have several 686's (not an 8 shot) and love them. Occasionally I "open carry" them when I'm out in the Colorado boonies. For concealed carry they are simply too big/heavy for me personally... That's what my Glocks are for.... as well as one of my SP101's.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Be Alert and Stay Safe

FastDraw

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    IT "ain't no pocket gun"--- and that's for sure, BUT does anyone carry this hunk of metal in cold weather when concealment isn't a big problem like it can be in warmer months? My new " previously owned" Distinguished Combat Magnum fits a Blackhawk holster I just got at a LGS, but it feels like I'm carrying around a barbell on my belt!(have just worn it in the house). If you lug this around, how do you manage it and what are your suggestions, if any?I'm more curious than anything, but would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.
    Good Belt. I use sharkskin, pricey but holds anything + Perry Suspenders, great aid in carrying any but the lightest gun. Adjust the suspenders depending on taste, less waist-weight, more shoulder-weight etc. I do 50-50. Perry's clip on to belt, on and off in a second. Many different types and strengths, The "Original" is fine for me for Colt Python 4", or 5" Colt 1911, or 5" Beretta 92fs: Perry Suspenders

Priced about $14 to $25 depending on strength of elastic and material. Check out a few, order one as a trial pair for yourself, order online at Perry's. They are very good and worn by many shooters. Make huge difference in sense of weight. Can't speak highly enough of the help they give to a weighty gun.

(There is one style they have, the "OUTBACK", you may want to avoid, as you can see if you look at them: the side-straps on these could interfere with drawing a gun and placement around your holster could be difficult. The rest of the styles work fine.)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Me! I do! Although it's not my daily carry I do carry one on occasion. Weight just doesn't bother me, my daily carry is a Model 65, which isn't that much lighter. And I'm not what you would call large, at 5'4" and 125 pounds. I don't do anything special, just use a Galco OWB holster and a Biannchi(sp) belt that fits snug but not tight. I don't have any problems with sagging and can carry either gun year round. In the summer months I wear jeans and a slightly oversized T-shirt(not huge, just a straight cut standard T shirt. My cell phone is actually harder for me to hide than the revolver is. On the rare occasions that I carry a 1911 I have a harder time hiding that boxy shape of the grip, the round butt seems to "nestle" into female curves and hides there very well.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Links