Sig P290?

Sig P290?

This is a discussion on Sig P290? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was weighing my options for another compact or sub compact 9mm, cant have to many. I was looking at some online and came across ...

Thread: Sig P290?

Sig P290?

I was weighing my options for another compact or sub compact 9mm, cant have to many. I was looking at some online and came across the Sig P290. The first reviews I read were pretty good but after about 5 or 6 they started hitting on the poor, gritty, sloppy trigger. Does anyone have or has anyone shot this gun? I went to all the local gun shops and no one has one. On another note, anyone have a P250? These look economical but they also look cheap as in quality. Just wonderding.

I have been considering a P290 as a carry gun also, and doubt very much that a Sig trigger could be that "sloppy." My main concern has been the mag capacity, otherwise I probably would have owned one by now.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I have a P250 compact 9mm and the P250 2sum in 9mm. I've got over 10k rounds through them with only 1 ammo related hiccup (bad round). I'm not going to lie they look flimsy to me to. They are not however, with that big metal fire control unit in the gun it shores up the plastic frame very well. The DAO trigger is very smooth and easy to master if you are willing to put the time in and practice.

A member of the Sig forum reported that a Gen 2 P290 is about a month away with a new trigger with a restrike capability ... was at SHOT show ...keep your ears to the ground.
    “To see what is right and not do it, is want of courage”. Confucius

My favorite local gun shop has several in stock very reasonably priced. I am seriously considering one, I would likely already have one if I didn't already have a couple of guns on layaway there that I feel I should pay off first. I don't care at all about the ability to second-strike a primer, so the new "real" DAO trigger isn't an issue for me. It is a neat little gun, and for its intended purpose, I think 7 rounds is fine.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Hmmmmmm............

I've looked at them. I may have to give the once over to the 938. Will see what the Gen 2s (sounds rather Glockish) are like.

VIP Member
    Never shot one, but have handled them at a local gun show. For me it just didn't feel right.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I just bought one the other day (Sig p290). I had 11 ftf, light primer strikes in just over 100 rds. I sent back to Sig yesterday. It was built in June 2011. So "2nd edition"..??? Sig told me there is no such thing as 1st and 2nd edition, that nothing is different from day one. A gen 2 is coming out soon with double strike capability. The current does not, user has to rack the slide in order to reingage the trigger. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, I want my money back and still have not heard an answer, its been 24hrs. I would never place my life on the line with this pistol, even if fixed. I have fired almost every combat weapon available and never had these extreme failures... Get the word out JUNK!!

Semper Fi.

Mar 2012

pa

USMC0321

New Member Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever Does anyone have any experience with either of these new, small SIG 9mms?

P290

P224 ExtremeP

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

okay , sig test fired my weapon today , turns out that the internals were first generation. they replaced with second generation and it fired flawlessly .. so he said . second generation parts were not being used before november 2011 , so if you do buy 1 of these pistols ,make sure it was made after november 2011. they are including a brand new 8 round magazine free of charge . I will have it back on monday , great turnaround time . we will see !!!

The new trigger might make it a more viable option, but until the cost is reduced $150 it's just not going to be a good choice.
    www.RKBAconcealment.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Sponsored Links